Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Krieghoff Classic & Blaser S-2 Doubles

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
DBBill
.300 member

Reged: 25/05/03
Loc: Southern California, USA
Krieghoff Classic & Blaser S-2 Doubles
      #7827 - 30/01/04 02:14 PM

Handled both of these at the SCI Convention and must say I was disappointed in the Blaser......much to muzzle heavy and felt awkward in my hands. Drop-dead wood and engraving but the rest was lacking for me.

The Krieghoffs were a mixed-bag as the ones whose stocks fit me felt very, very good while the others were clubby feeling.....most of the problem was with the shape and size of the grip which did not feel comfortable to me on many of the rifles. They had a 9.3x74R with engraved sideplates and stunning wood that fit me to a "T" but thank goodness it had already been sold...price was $20K+.
I was also very impressed with the "see-thru" sight they have as an option.....lightning fast sight picture. If I could find a reasonably priced used 9.3x74R I would buy it and have it restocked with some English Walnut I have been hording for years.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ThomasEdwards
.300 member

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: Newport Beach, CA
Re: Krieghoff Classic & Blaser S-2 Doubles [Re: DBBill]
      #7848 - 30/01/04 05:03 PM

...most certainly agree with your views on the blaser s-2 double...

...the s-2 offering may be marginally more cost-effective compared to competing offerings, may even offer self-regulation opportunities, and may further be based on the innovative jaeger system, but the bulky 'water-pipe-like' barrels attached at the muzzle by what looks like a giant binder clip leaves much to be desired in the aesthetics department...and for usd8,000+ one should be able to achieve a sensible balance between beauty and performance...

...not knocking the s-2 functionally...just not for me either...

...re merkels vs. krieghoff doubles, many debates over what should essentially be equivalent, well-made, solid and dependable working guns...sort of like a choice between a benz and a bimmer...

...just my humble opinion, as many with much more experience than i may beg to differ...

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
Re: Krieghoff Classic & Blaser S-2 Doubles [Re: ThomasEdwards]
      #7849 - 30/01/04 05:11 PM

I know a well respected gunsmith who says that the later Merkels are often off the face right out of the factory, and they no longer build a bit of taper into the action...loosen up right away, accordingly.

That is his observation, and he is one of the better double rifle smiths in the US.

Re: Blazer...I love drillings, but can't hardly look at the Balzers. They are far to muzzle heavy, too.

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

holland465
.275 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: California
Re: Krieghoff Classic & Blaser S-2 Doubles [Re: luv2safari]
      #7852 - 30/01/04 07:04 PM

If the Merkel's were being shot off the face Merkel would be obliged to fix it! They offer a five year warranty and GSI, the importer will fix the gun as long as you own it! Merkel has been around a long time and I seriously doubt that they are going to market a gun that will have problems right from the start. That would be a money loser for the company and they are not going to let that happen.

luv2safari
.400 member

Re: Krieghoff Classic & Blaser S-2 Doubles [Re: holland465]
      #7878 - 31/01/04 04:07 AM

Well, they are letting it happen. I had to have my 12/12/9,x74r drilling corrected and know of two 470's that were caddywompass, too.

I have liked and owned a few Merkels in my life and can see the changes in quality. Economic pressures and competition might be the cause...up the production and productivity of the workers = less scrutiny and quality control. It happened in a big way at J.P. Sauer years ago.

--------------------

NONE
.300 member

Reged: 15/12/03
      #7904 - 31/01/04 08:00 AM

I can only speak from my own experience but my Merkel in .470ne shoots just fine and actually some have commented as to how well it was regulated with factory ammo.

I know the local shop I purchased mine from has literally 70+ Merkel shotguns and two rifles on the shelf and I know of six rifles they have sold in the past month, none of which were drillings though, without any issues. They have a very high end clientele many of the customers purchasing several guns every month and I would think if the Merkels were giving problems would quickly change as the customers would not stand for it.

Just my take from my own first hand experience.

James F. Nixon III

holland465
.275 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: California
      #7949 - 31/01/04 02:54 PM

Did they repair the rifles for you? What was their excuse for the malfunction?

luv2safari
.400 member

Re: Krieghoff Classic & Blaser S-2 Doubles [Re: holland465]
      #7954 - 31/01/04 03:10 PM

My own gunsmith straightened the drilling out in a few weeks. I was heading to Arusha and couldn't wait for Merkel to get with the program.

I guess the owners of the other Merkels, both 470's I believe, sent them back. I got all this second hand...Both were erratic as hell before repairs. I don't know any outcome, however.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
4 registered and 66 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2493

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com