Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Doubles accuracy

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
Taos
.300 member

Reged: 09/05/04
Loc: Nevada, U.S.A.
Doubles accuracy
      #79119 - 21/05/07 11:12 PM

Gentlemen,

I am contemplating buying my 1st double gun. I have a question. Living in the western U.S. I have spent most of my days shooting game at 150+ yards. What kind of accuracy can be achieved at this distance with a quality double? Further distances? Any insight would be helpfull. thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dnovo
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/05
Loc: Chicago & SE Wisconsin
Re: Doubles accuracy [Re: Taos]
      #79121 - 21/05/07 11:46 PM

Quite good, but, although I may be pilloried for this, any double will be more load sensitive than a bolt and will take more work to sight in. This topic has been one of some debate here and elsewhere, but if you are shooting in the Western US, and short of a very upset Grizzly, none of the game you shot at will be a threat to you, a scoped bolt gun will allow you to achieve better accuracy with a larger variety of loads and be just as efficient, especially on a first shot kill basis.

At 150+, you will want a scope. A scoped double will cost more although for the one barrel sighted in, should be nearly as accurate to 150. The second barrel will have to be re-regulated for that distance, and I am not aware that any mfg is doing that, unless you contact Merkel to see if their gunsmith can regulate on of their 141s with the adjustable barrel feature for that range. (They offer it in 30-06 and in 9.3X74R, which should work for most Western game at 150. They also offer a scope mount for a reasonable price.)

Now, go ahead guys, give me some grief on this, but remember, I love DRs too, but for what he is thinking about, a bolt will work better for less.

Just my opinion. Dave

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Doubles accuracy [Re: dnovo]
      #79122 - 22/05/07 02:05 AM

Quote:

At 150+, you will want a scope. A scoped double will cost more although for the one barrel sighted in, should be nearly as accurate to 150. The second barrel will have to be re-regulated for that distance, and I am not aware that any mfg is doing that, unless you contact Merkel to see if their gunsmith can regulate on of their 141s with the adjustable barrel feature for that range. (They offer it in 30-06 and in 9.3X74R, which should work for most Western game at 150. They also offer a scope mount for a reasonable price.)

Now, go ahead guys, give me some grief on this, but remember, I love DRs too, but for what he is thinking about, a bolt will work better for less.

Just my opinion. Dave

No grief, but only a friendly correction!

The rifle should be regulated Physicly for the round you intend useing, in the normal manner with is:

With your iron sights on the point of aim, the right barrel should hit, slightly on the right of point of aim, and the left barrel printing, slightly on the left of point of aim, regardless of distance. The center of each of these two individual barrel groups, should be close enough to the center of the other barrel's group, to form a workable composit group of both barrels with the POA in the center of the composit group. This is proper regulation, and the barrels are shooting paralell.

NOW!, the scope is mounted in the QD rings & bases, Now clamp the barrel set in a vice, with the iron sights on the POA in the center of the composit group. While the barrels are being held, look through the scope and adjust the scope to cross hair exactly on the point of aim. Now replace the barrels on the rifle, and adjust the scope to the DISTANCE you want the scope to zero. In this case 150 yds. The windage is already set, but if you limit your iron sight shooting to 100 yds, and you want the scope zeroed at 150 yds, then set the scope high enough it will print on POA at 150 yds! Not magic, just different!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Re: Doubles accuracy [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #79126 - 22/05/07 04:44 AM

Mac is correct.

Also let me add that if the loads are correct for your double the loads from your left bbl, will always hit on the left and the right on the right, ie they should not cross.

With my 9,3x74R Chapuis double [scoped] even at 300 yards there is no crossing.

I have taken game as far as 300 yards with my 9,3.

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
      #79131 - 22/05/07 06:19 AM

Mac--

Assuming no continued divergence at distance--
How much distance between the right barrel shooting right and the left barrel shooting left is usually noted?
Or
In other terms how much variance from the POI does each of the two barrels shoot at 150-200 yds? 1",2",3"

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Doubles accuracy [Re: hoppdoc]
      #79150 - 22/05/07 10:49 AM

hoppdoc

Ideally the distance between groups should be the distance between the centerline of the barrels.

If your barrels are close, as in a large cartridge, it could be as little as half an inch. If a small caliber it could be one inch or more.

Theoretically it should stay that way to Infinity, and Beyond.

An open sighted Double should be as accurate as any open sighted single barrel in the same cartridge.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Doubles accuracy [Re: mickey]
      #79166 - 22/05/07 01:48 PM

Quote:

Ideally the distance between groups should be the distance between the centerline of the barrels.

...at the breech, rather than at the muzzles, but we're splitting hairs here. The muzzles are closer together than the breech, but they will recoil apart slightly before the projectile exits the muzzle, to about the width between centres at the breech.

Clear as mud....

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #79172 - 22/05/07 03:01 PM

Quote:

I'm interested to know where this belief comes from.
Is it chisled in stone someplace?

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Re: Doubles accuracy [Re: 4seventy]
      #79370 - 25/05/07 01:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm interested to know where this belief comes from.
Is it chisled in stone someplace?

Allen, it comes from simply being fact! However, what I think confuses even those who are well up on double rifles, is the misconception that saying the shots from each barrel do not cross at any distance! This "IS" wrong. What should be said if the "CENTER" of each barrel's group do not cross at any distance! A group fired from any barrel will get larger as it flies down range. If there are two barrels side by side, as the two groups get larger the shots on the right side of the left group will certainly cross over into the group from the right barrel and vice-versa. this only means the composite group of both barrels gets larger as it flies down range, but the center of each barrel's groups remains on it's own side of the POA!

Even if a single barrel fires four shots, all four will not het in one hole, and if that barrel is fireing a MOA at 100 yds, it will be 2 MOA at two hundred yrds, but the center of the group will stay true to aim! This is why the mistaken idea that multiple flip-up sights on a double rifle are simply there for decoration, and they are not, if the rifle is loaded properly to the regulation of the rifle it wwill shoot to those sights at the range they are set for, and you will notice all the centers of those sight baldes are in line with each other!

--------------------
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Grizzly
.333 member

Reged: 05/12/05
Loc: Dallas, Texas, USA
Re: Doubles accuracy [Re: NE450No2]
      #79371 - 25/05/07 01:56 PM

Quote:

I have taken game as far as 300 yards with my 9,3.

To be clear, it was a mangy 30 pound coyote - both barrels hit their target!

That was some mighty fine shooting.

--------------------
SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member
DRSS Member

4seventy
Sponsor

#79375 - 25/05/07 09:22 PM

Mac,
I have regulated doubles and fully appreciate that bullets don't cross with correct regulation and load.
That was not what my post was about.
Really what I was asking is, where did the belief originate that says a correctly regulated double should print its individual groups apart by the same distance as the bore spacing?
So the question is, why does the distance between the groups have to be the same distance as the spacing between the bores to achieve parallel bullet paths?

Also my question is asking, where is this written as fact?
Have prominent double gunmakers ever stated this, or is it just a theory born on the internet?

mickey
.416 member

#79383 - 26/05/07 12:47 AM

Alan

I think I see what you are getting at. The answer is I believe I read it in either Greeners Book or maybe in the Shooting Field. Or perhaps Burrards book.

Perhaps the better answer would be the parallel distance would be the distance between the barrels at the point the bullet leaves the barrels.

This would not make the Double barrel groupings that accurate vis a vis both barrel groupings. It would be interesting to see how a perfectly regulated rifle actually behaved at 300 yards or longer. Unfortunately, I have never seen or even heard of such a creature.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #79385 - 26/05/07 01:33 AM

Grizzly- it took 2 9.3's to secure that coyote? I guess it's powerful enough if you hit them right, eh? ;-)

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Re: Doubles accuracy [Re: DarylS]
      #79403 - 26/05/07 07:29 AM

Quote:

Grizzly- it took 2 9.3's to secure that coyote? I guess it's powerful enough if you hit them right, eh? ;-)

Daryl, I was there, and the coyote was quartering toward Tony chaseing some deer, the first shot hit the coyote just behind the left shoulder going back into the gut, actually gutting the coyote, causeing him to go down, but he was trying to get back up, and started to go in circles, when the second barrel hit him square takeing him out for the count! This was filmed, by another hunter, but I don't have a copy of the film, maybe Tony does!

--------------------

DUGABOY1
.400 member

#79405 - 26/05/07 07:51 AM

I don't know where it has been written anyplace other than by myself, and others who do a lot of regulating of double rifles! I will say, that with every video I've watched of the major companies shooting the targets while doing the physical regulating of their rifles, that is the way the bullets hit the target when they call it REGULATED! I think the reason some do not believe this is the case is of the wrong opinions of many gun writers who do not understand double rifles, and make dumb statements in print.

Here, and on AR as well, I find most try to make their doubles print in one ragged hole,@ 50yds, or 100yds, and think that is a perfect regulating load, when it is actually not! If both barrels are hitting the same hole at any distance, that is the distance where the loads are crossing, and with that load, at any distance passed that point the crossing will get wider! What makes this worse is, well known gun writers believe this is the way it is supposed to be, and they print it as gospel in the gun rags.

--------------------

4seventy
Sponsor

#79425 - 26/05/07 09:23 PM

Mickey and Mac,
I must admit that I really don't like this notion that suggests that the bullet paths must be parallel if they hit a 50 yard target at precisely the same distance apart as the bore spacing measurement.
Nor do I like the notion that if they hit a 50 yard target any closer than the bore spacing measurement, that they must be crossing.

I fail to see why the bore spacing measurement has anything to do with the distance between the two parallel bullet paths.

Can anyone show some sort of evidence as to why, in a so called perfectly regulated double, the bore spacing, and the bullet paths, must share identical measurements?

For me, the way to test how close to parallel the bullet paths truely are, is to shoot the double at various distances, starting at about 20 yards and then trying at 50, 100 and 200 yards.
This will soon let you know whether the groups are close to parallel, crossing or shooting apart.

hoppdoc
.400 member

#79431 - 26/05/07 10:38 PM

Per Macs discussion and logical bullet theory it implies to me that the spacing between the impact points would start out as the barrel spacing at the barrel and diverge as a widening circle around the POI of each barrel at increasing distance.

Each barrel would have an enlarging circle of probability of impact the farther distance from the barrel.At 100 yards with each barrel with a variance of "0ne MOA" the shots could be in one hole if the left barrel shots a bullet 1/2 an inch to the right and the right barrel shoots a bullet 1/2 inch to the left with a one inch spacing between the barrels centerline.And this with "perfect regulation".At 200 yards the enlarging cone of the bullets impacts from the barrels could even cross if the left barrel shoots one inch to the right and the right barrel shoots one inch to the left(one inch barrel spacing) and the rifle could be perfectly regulated!!

If my concept of double gun shooting is iherently wrong will someboby please speak up!!

--------------------

mickey
.416 member

#79447 - 27/05/07 02:21 AM

Alan

We are all being anal in this.

It is probably impossible to have a group from each barrel stay parallel to 300 or 500 yards. As was just pointed out each barrel group expands also thus overlapping the other barrel group. The centres may stay the same but what the hay.

I'm perfectly content with this load.

At 140m these bullets would be reversed and at 210m the spread would be crossed but still within 1 inch. Isn't that really good enough?

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

DUGABOY1
.400 member

#79454 - 27/05/07 03:52 AM

Quote:

Alan

We are all being anal in this.

It is probably impossible to have a group from each barrel stay parallel to 300 or 500 yards. As was just pointed out each barrel group expands also thus overlapping the other barrel group. The centres may stay the same but what the hay.

I'm perfectly content with this load.

At 140m these bullets would be reversed and at 210m the spread would be crossed but still within 1 inch. Isn't that really good enough?

Mickey is correct, the parameters set fourth are the "IDEAL" that one aspires to achieve! IMO, one can never achieve regulation to that degree, but one must get as close as he can to the IDEAL, to get the best from his double, especially for down range use! The group posted above is as close as on can get without crossing, and certainly is GOOD ENOUGH! Nothing is perfect, but that is about as close to being perfect as one can expect.

The perfect individual barrel group is the best group you can get from your tightest shooting barrel, and as long as it's center is on it's own side of POA, but close enough to form a composite group with the other barrel's group center on "it's" own side of the POA, at 50 yds a very good composite group is a 2" egg shaped group with the center of each group on each side of POA, the POA being half way between the centers of two barrel groups. With a composit group like this, the rifle will shoot to down range sights as well as can be expected, and quite acceptable for hunting purposes. The fool deer, or elk, that thinks I can't hit him with any double rifle I own, at 200 yds is in trouble! As I said, nothing is perfect, but that doesn't mean you should accept a load that follows the idea a double rifle is only accurate at 50 yds or under, which seems to be the opinion of most gun writers!

--------------------

NE450No2
.375 member

#79464 - 27/05/07 07:12 AM

Mickey

Do us a favor.
Shoot that load on paper, at 100, 150 and 200 so we can see exactly what it does.

hoppdoc
.400 member

#79468 - 27/05/07 09:13 AM

I would think The trick to shooting groups for regulation would seem to be to shoot multiple(?5) rounds or more from each barrel at each distance and determine the POI of each barrel and if your load is spot on where you want it at various distances. If so then possibly game at 300 yards would be in danger should you ever did wish to try such a loong Double shot.

Shooting a smaller number, ?2 shots at each distance may not give a representative POI for each barrel.

Am I wrong or is there a better way to do this??

--------------------

Edited by hoppdoc (27/05/07 09:14 AM)

mickey
.416 member

#79472 - 27/05/07 10:20 AM

I will give it a go but I have two problems. I only have a couple of boxes of original Kynoch in 470 and I can't see open sites well enough to shoot that far.

The target was shot by the previous owner and came with the rifle. He posts here occasionally and may have some more information.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

NE450No2
.375 member

#79474 - 27/05/07 10:24 AM

hoppdoc
You are correct. I usually shot 4 rounds r/l, r/l with each load at the distance I have chosen.

Then baised on what the targets show, along with the notes I make [like a pulled shot], I test the best loads next time, making changes in the powder charges as necessary.

Once I find what I think is a good load then I load 20 to 50 rounds and test at different distances.

hoppdoc
.400 member

#79475 - 27/05/07 10:36 AM

NE 450no2--

I would luv to see what your 9.3 does on paper at various distances.
You could shoot the scope and note the point of aim as well as the calculated POI of each barrel.As you said,it could work well with 4 shots per barrel per distance by averaging the 2 pairs of farthest shoots from each other and taking the median distance of each pair from each other.

Wish I could do such an experiment but my 500 is no long range shooter.

I would bet that some ignorant gun writers would swallow their cud and choke if they saw what a regulated Double could do at distance!! Secretly I think many labor over the delusion that Doubles are kinda like bow and arrows,a primitive outdated club for close range work. Boy would they be surprised!!

--------------------

Edited by hoppdoc (27/05/07 10:39 AM)

NE450No2
.375 member

#79479 - 27/05/07 12:04 PM

I will have to see if I can find some of my old testing targets from 200 and 300 yards and measure them.

I do know it hits "minute of kudu" out to 300 yards.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 67 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4662

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com