Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: test of penetration on buffalo

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Bowhunting + Bows, Spears & Knives

Pages: 1
larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
test of penetration on buffalo
      #78971 - 19/05/07 07:48 PM

this clip from huntingfootage.com

Interesting. I especially am interested, I am testing a >93# Bowtech allegiance, with +/- 1000 grains axis arrow rigged with a modified Grizzly El Grande on a custom made steel insert.

huntingfootage

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
Re: test of penetration on buffalo [Re: larcher]
      #78985 - 19/05/07 10:45 PM

Going just behind the shoulder looks like the better option to me, he gets quite a bit more penetration there.

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

littlbigd
.224 member

Reged: 04/02/07
Loc: Anchorage, AK
Re: test of penetration on buffalo [Re: AspenHill]
      #79050 - 20/05/07 07:21 PM

I saw a video somewhere where a Cape Buffalo was shot with an arrow and the Buffalo quickly turned and looked towards the direction of the hunters with a 'What was that?!' expression on his face. After he couldnt see anything - about 20 seconds or so - he turned and ran away. I read somewhere else that this was a fairly typical reaction when a Buffalo is hit with an arrow - he doesnt necessarily run away immediately and instead faces the hunters trying to see what is wrong or what just pricked him.

With the first arrows that hit the Scapula Bone I thought to myself - I bet that hurts more and thus pisses off the bull more! Maybe a consideration when you are under 20m away. I think I would still go for the heart for a quicker more humane kill but I would run both scenarios by my PH and take his advice.

ArcherIII
.224 member

Reged: 26/04/07
Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: test of penetration on buffalo [Re: littlbigd]
      #79141 - 22/05/07 09:27 AM

Aiming for the heart sounds good except they don't have a cut out on their side for reference. When you are staring at a Cape at less than a safe distance with a stick in your hand it seriously changes your perspective. The reaction on impact you described is very typical for all animals that aren't at the bottom of the food chain, especially on stalked critters. The pain they feel is probably no more than they have on a mad run through the bush. There is no noise or physical shock associated with a rifle and the adrenelin rush is very diminished. A very large percentage of mortally wounded game shot with an arrow will go a much shorter distance than a similiarly rifle hit animal. Of the dangerous game I have taken none went farther than 100 yds.(Ele) most under 50 yds..
The lethality of a bow must never be underestimated. After 50 years of hunting and hundreds of animals taken there is no room for discussion about which is most effective. No I am not talking about a charging anything. That is where a Rifle is worth it's weight in gold.
That ought to stir up the S@#$.
Dan

--------------------
Dan Hunsaker

ant458
.224 member

Reged: 02/11/07
Loc: georgia usa
Re: test of penetration on buffalo [Re: ArcherIII]
      #100323 - 26/03/08 07:07 AM

the lungs are the best bet on cape buffalo with a bow more so if you shoot a recurve like me

larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
Re: test of penetration on buffalo [Re: ArcherIII]
      #112128 - 20/08/08 01:51 AM

ArcherIII

dear Dan

You are famous, You are on YOUTUBE

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=6HyGqSnLJds
Dan Hunsaker bowhunting Elephant

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: test of penetration on buffalo [Re: larcher]
      #112134 - 20/08/08 04:21 AM

Way to go DAN! -- really appreciated the video, without the sometimes normal BS crowing that goes on. I very much enjoyed watching the no-nonsense 'factual' presentation of this hunt.
: Amazing penetration on the elephant - bravo!

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: test of penetration on buffalo [Re: DarylS]
      #112161 - 20/08/08 10:36 PM

Actually saw that on TV last winter---not sure what show it was on other that it was on the "Outdoor Channel"...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2977

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com