Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: To Scope or Not To Scope...That Is The Question???

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
JusticeTrimble
.224 member

Reged: 25/04/07
Loc: Louisville, KY.
To Scope or Not To Scope...That Is The Question???
      #78727 - 16/05/07 07:04 AM

As some of you may know, I just purchased a really nice Krieghoff Classic 9.3x74R. It does not have a scope on it. I am working with another member of this fine board to get a set up for it. However, after reading many of your postings, I wonder what everyone else thinks about puting a scope on your double. Many have stated they would not do it and just as many state they would not have a double without a scope. So, here goes the question:

Would you put a scope on your double rifle? If so, what do you think are the advantages?

Do you think it takes away from the nostaligia of carrying a double rifle for short range, fast action work?

If you do put a scope on your double, what power would you put on it?

Of course these questions also address all of you who have already put a scope on your double.

I appreciate all your time, and feedback.

I think this will make a great polling thread as well and will help all of us.

Thanks,

JT.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
empirevr
.375 member

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: England,but now Italy.
Re: To Scope or Not To Scope...That Is The Question??? [Re: JusticeTrimble]
      #78728 - 16/05/07 07:41 AM

I have yet to obtain my double,

However, scope? No chance not in a month of Sundays.......

regards,

Ben

Rustyzipper
.275 member

Reged: 20/10/03
Loc: North of the Zambezi, in Miser...
      #78729 - 16/05/07 07:52 AM

I think the caliber and precision of the gun should weigh in here as well as the use you intend for the gun. Read what NE450 NO 2 has to say. He has more knowledge on the 9.3, as I have only used mine for a few months. From what I have READ I would say to scope it. Use a detachable mount that repeats your zero. You will then have a most versatile system there. Good luck. Rustyzipper

--------------------
NMLRA Life, NRA Annual,DRSS, .......

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: To Scope or Not To Scope...That Is The Question??? [Re: Rustyzipper]
      #78738 - 16/05/07 12:41 PM

It would all depend on the rifle. I would not hesitate to scope a Krieghoff if I wanted to but might shy away from a Purdy or Rigby.

I have a 450/400 3 1/4 Alex Henry that has a scope in claw mounts and a 9.3 x74 that does also. I am having the rib on my Watson Bros 303 bevelled for Talley's.

I wouldn't scope a rifle larger than a a 400 but times change.

A smaller caliber needs very good eyes or a scope to get maximum usage.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Westley375
.300 member

Reged: 18/04/06
Loc: Montana USA
      #78739 - 16/05/07 01:42 PM

Scope a new DR but I find it sacreligious to scope a classic British DR. But really, I believe one should only scope a DR if ones eyesight is not good enough to use iron sights. otherwise LEARN TO SHOOT AND SHOOT OFTEN !!!

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: To Scope or Not To Scope...That Is The Question??? [Re: Westley375]
      #78740 - 16/05/07 01:53 PM

Scope a newly manufactored Double, a 9.3??
Of course!! It would help with long range shots--

My Merkel 500 NE? Sure, Maybe with an aimpoint red dot 2x power with unlimited eye relief but not much else.

Scope an English classic??--Dunno about that. You would have a scope/mounts that was not period specific for the gun and the mounts/scope might seem out of place.You might even decrease the $$resale value substantially by scoping.

Bottom line -it obviously depends on the gun!!

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Re: To Scope or Not To Scope...That Is The Question??? [Re: hoppdoc]
      #78741 - 16/05/07 02:16 PM

Rusty zipper, Thanks for the complement.
JT, by all means scope your 9,3x74R double rifle. I have 2 scopes in rings fitted for mine. One a Leupold 2.5-8 [as a back up] the other a Swarovski 1.5-6x42 with the illuminated circle dot reticle.

I have taken a lot of game with this double, many with the iron sights, many with the scope.

A scope on a double does the same thing as a scope on a bolt rifle, it enables you to hit better.

I think EVERY double up to, and including, a 450/400 should be scoped.

I recently had my British 450/400 3 1/4" fitted with a scope in claw mounts.
I have had this double for several years. I should have had it scoped the day I bought it.

A scope really enhances the hitability of a double.

With a scope in QD mounts you have the best of all worlds.

With my scoped 9,3 I have taken game to 300 yards.

With my scoped 450/400 I took a Lion at @ 90 yards, at an angle that would have been very difficult with iron sights.

To me there is no question... scope it for sure.

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #78775 - 17/05/07 07:08 AM

My Krieghoff Teck O/U DR has a 2 1/2X Lyman All American scope in claw mounts on the .458 Winchester Magnum barrel set and a 3X Lyman All American, also in claw mounts, on the .375 H&H barrel set. Keep in mind this rifle was built in 1971 and the optics were top of the line at that time.

I have taken one elephant and one Cape Buffalo with the .458 set and lion, leopard, eland, greater kudu and lesser kudu with the .375 set. I have never used the iron sights and would only do so if the scope was somehow damaged. At my age, I can't get a good sight picture with open sights anyway without special shooting glasses which would be worthless in the game field. Scopes are the way to go.

Having said that, my "stopper" is a .505 on a P-14 Enfield action, and it has a Lyman 48 receiver sight and Redfield Sourdough front sight as its only sighting equipment. With it I have taken one black rhino, three elephants and five Cape Buffalo. However, were I to use it again, I would probably outfit it with a Leupold 1.5-5X VariXIII scope, like the one I plan to use on my .500 NE Krieghoff, still under construction.

One thing I forgot to mention was that a scope in my opinion should always be as unobtrusive as possible and should be mounted as low as possible, so as not to interfere with the rifle's handling. This generally means no scopes with enlarged objective lenses and a rifle stocked with a minimum of drop. For this reason, equipping a rifle with a scope as an afterthought is usually a bad idea. A DR stocked for very low iron sights is unlikely to point properly with even the lowest mounted scope.

All my scope mounted DR's were stocked with scopes in mind and all the scopes have straight tubes. I am particularly put off by the kind of hugh variable powered scopes one often sees on German DR's. Of course, they are intended for shooting wild boar from stands by moonlight, and handling qualities are secondary in such situations, but they still look all out of proportion, like full rigged ships under sail. To be fair to the German hunters, they often equip the DR's with a sceond low powered straight tube scope especially for driven game shooting.

My ideal low mounted scope is the one on my Winchester Model 70 in .450 Watts Magnum: a 22mm Lyman Alaskan with post reticle in a Griffin & Howe side mount. Whether I am using it or the alternative Lyman 48 receiver sight, the rifle mounts and points just the same.

Edited by xausa (20/05/07 01:13 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 136 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2008

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com