Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 303 double rifle for sale.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
303 double rifle for sale.
      #7677 - 29/01/04 07:36 AM

Interesting to see this double in 303 offered,are they in this cal a bitt of a rarity?
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/community/gun/gun-details.jhtml?contentId=20089001_hhdom&hierarchyId=10473

Also who has prior knowlege of this mans rifles? It is a name i havent seen before.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/community/gun/gun-details.jhtml?contentId=96324_ogyer93&hierarchyId=10473

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gryphon
.450 member

Re: 303 double rifle for sale. [Re: gryphon]
      #7678 - 29/01/04 07:45 AM

i did a search on google and ilor yet came up with only the cabelas ref`s....still looking

--------------------

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
      #7684 - 29/01/04 08:20 AM

Gryphon,
I have heard of him and seen one rifle of his, but I really don't know anything at all about him, but the rifle I saw was a pretty nice gun...

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #7704 - 29/01/04 10:11 AM

gryphon

Here is another. A .303 Watson Bros that David Winks from Holland & Holland says was probably built by them for Watson Bros. It is 75% engraving coverage, extractors, horn butt plate. Appears just like the one from Holland.

I have not fired it with the 215 gr. bullets it requires as I have no bullets or dies yet. I have fired it with 180 grain Federals and it shoots about 6" high and about 6" apart. The individual barrels shoot about 1" ea. so it looks like the rifle will shoot when I get around to playing more with it. My new rifle for Whitetail.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
Re: 303 double rifle for sale. [Re: mickey]
      #7741 - 29/01/04 03:31 PM

Is it as nice to hold as it is to look at? I'm slowly turning green and had better move on, before I get surley because you have it, and I don't.

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

vigillinus
.300 member

Reged: 11/12/03
Re: 303 double rifle for sale. [Re: luv2safari]
      #7743 - 29/01/04 03:47 PM

The Cabela's rifle is a typical overheavy Brit .303, for some reason they all weigh around 9 lbs. Maybe the Brits were afraid of the new hot cordite and made the breeches extra thick. German doubles in 8x57R or 7x57 are not always as pretty but they usually weigh a pound less.

mickey
.416 member

Re: 303 double rifle for sale. [Re: vigillinus]
      #7748 - 29/01/04 04:01 PM

My rifle weighs a shade over 8 pounds. The lop is perfect for me but the stock needs just a bit more castoff. Also the front sight is so tiny, and blurry. I need a larger bead. What it really needs is a 1.5x5 Leupold in claw mounts.

Actually, after looking at the Cabela's rifle I think mine is in a lot better condition and has much more engraving. I'll sell mine for the same amount.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

.224 member

Reged: 24/01/04
      #7760 - 29/01/04 09:33 PM

Mickey, that is a bloody nice looking rifle! The dollar is pretty weak at the mo, too..!

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #7765 - 30/01/04 12:08 AM

Good time for a reminder on a common problem with .303 doubles. Most (all?) have fast-twist barrels and were regulated for the 215 gr bullet; sounds like yours still is, Mickey.

BUT.... many were re-regulated for the Mk VII cartridge with its 174gr Spitzer bullet, despite the faster twist, and will no longer successfully shoot the marvellous 215-grainers which are once again plentiful. In Oz, both Woodleigh and Taipan make the 215-gr RN projectile: a bonded-core Premium for game, and a cheapie for the dirt bank. Perfect!

Before tossing down a wad on the Cabelas gun, or any .303 double, I would want to know which bullet weight it was regulated (or re-regulated!) for.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

gryphon
.450 member

Re: 303 double rifle for sale. [Re: Marrakai]
      #7776 - 30/01/04 06:42 AM

Actually, after looking at the Cabela's rifle I think mine is in a lot better condition and has much more engraving. I'll sell mine for the same amount.

Well Mickey its obvious you got yours a lot cheaper mate seeing you have the profit in mind hahaa.

A net search should find info for the specific bullet the rifle was regged for .....shouldnt it? or at least some links to where it could, or is it simply a matter of shooting off a heap of different ammo to find out?(FUN)

--------------------

mickey
.416 member

#7783 - 30/01/04 08:15 AM

In reply to:

Well Mickey its obvious you got yours a lot cheaper mate seeing you have the profit in mind hahaa.

Gryphon

That is very likely true. IF I was to buy another I would not be paying $14999.00 for it.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

atkinson6
.375 member

#7836 - 30/01/04 03:24 PM

Mickey,
Anyone that would put a scope on that beatiful rifle should be stringhaltered and gilflurted!!

What a beatiful little gun you have there...

I lusted last year for a 30-40 Krag double rifle that Champlain had at Dallas SCI for about $11,000. and thank God someone bought it as I was about too...It handled like a Boss .410...then there was the 22 Hornet, same story but the 22 L.R. was the dream..So many doubles, so little money for frivolous pleasures...

I should have been born rich instead of so damn pretty!

mickey
.416 member

Re: 303 double rifle for sale. [Re: atkinson6]
      #7839 - 30/01/04 03:45 PM

Ray

I think that it will be my new favorite for Deer and such. It is really a sweet thing. I hope it shoots. My eyes are such that small beads are just too difficult. I would have to send the rifle to a maker to have mounts put on so that the value would not be damaged. I will try it for a year or so as is. Please dont gilfhalter or stringanflute me.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

atkinson6
.375 member

#7867 - 31/01/04 02:26 AM

OK, but you, Rusty and Nitro are on probation for public exposure...Now those two other guys are putting a rear sight on a double that looks like a window without a shade and expressing themselves in the positive, a shame!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 94 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4026

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com