Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 16-bore double rifle?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
16-bore double rifle?
      #78599 - 14/05/07 01:29 AM

A double rifle described as a 16-bore rifle. What sort of ballistics, bullet weight etc would this sort of DR do? I assume it is a BP DR?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
empirevr
.375 member

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: England,but now Italy.
Re: 16-bore double rifle? [Re: NitroX]
      #78604 - 14/05/07 02:04 AM

Sounds nice nitrox,

Wonder if its pinfire or what though? price?

Daryl where are you?

He has a 14g and so i guess its a bit less oomphy than that one.

Ben

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: 16-bore double rifle? [Re: NitroX]
      #78611 - 14/05/07 02:25 AM

Quote:

A double rifle described as a 16-bore rifle. What sort of ballistics, bullet weight etc would this sort of DR do? I assume it is a BP DR?

I've been looking for one of these rifle for quite a long time, and haven't found one I could afford. A friend of mine had Kittner 16 Bore double rifle a few years ago, and it was a smokeless rifle. I believe most 16 bore rofles were made in Germany, or Austria,and the ones found uin the USA, at least, were war souveneers, and most are still in clausets gathering dust, and in some case rust. The Double Gun Journal had an article about one, a couple of years ago, that was a real beauty. It also was German. I'm thinking about bulding one by sleeving a pair of 16 ga rifled barrels into a Pedersoli double rifle, and regulate it for lead wheel weight bullets, maybe paper patched, useing all brass cases!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: 16-bore double rifle? [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #78620 - 14/05/07 05:25 AM

John-

I shoot roundball in both of my 16b double rifles.
16b roundball = 1oz

I have yet to chronograph either of them. I've tried a few times, but I'd been having problems with my chronograph (a PACT, it wasn't getting signal from the start screen or some such crap...)

They shoot well, recoil isn't an issue at all. From the sound of the rifles, and the relative quickness of the impact into the 120yd berm, I'd say they're working up fairly decent velocity with the 2-3/4 dram FFg charge I feed them.
The lighter of the two will blow a 5gallon pail full of mud to pieces at 30 yards.

On the way to getting them ready to shoot, I'd discussed the matter to some great extent with Lewis Drake and Ross Seyfried. Both of them had hunted with similar charges behind 16b roundball. Mr Drake said he'd taken numerous bear with one of his 16b roundball double rifles and had hunted with it for decades.

I can't think of many game animals on the North American continent I wouldn't feel comfortable hunting with them.

I'm looking to possibly take the heavier of the two on a bear hunt in September.
Expect some type of range report before then as I need to finish some cartridge development for it and also need to chronograph it before I decide on whether or not to hunt bear with it -- just want to know what it's *really* doing if you know what I mean...

Here's a picture of the lighter of the two, a seven pound 16b double rifle.
Likely good enough for the job of hunting coastal black bear here in California.
Although a pinfire gun, of a forward-facing underlever design, it's a jones-type dual opposed underlug locking gun, in almost as-new condition. It's tight and on-face with perfect bores.
This image from it's first time shooting in very likely over 100 years.

This image of the heavier of the two, in it's case with tools and such...

I know many of you have seen these images here before, I hope to some time soon get around to setting up and photographing them to greater extent for this site's photo archives.

Oh by the way, Daryl's 14ga (14ga being bigger than 16ga) is set up for a much stiffer charge than my 16b double rifles.
His is actually much more 'oomphy' than my rifles and has been reported to send roundball completely through very large Canadian Moose, flattening them in their tracks.
I've heard of 16b double rifles which were also set up to take much heavier loads than my two rifles were regulated for.
The lighter the rifle, the lighter the regulation load.
I can imagine three and a half to four dram guns weighing in at around 10+lbs

--Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 73 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1817

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com