Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: A Nice DR for an equally nice price

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
dnovo
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/05
Loc: Chicago & SE Wisconsin
A Nice DR for an equally nice price
      #78516 - 12/05/07 10:00 AM

My newly converted to DR range buddy showed me his first DR just now as we were both coming home from work --- a Chapuis UGEX in 9.3X74R. The wood was very nice, the scroll engraving well executed, and the test target looked very good. Price? He got it NIB (nicely compartmented plastic case with a spot for the detachable scope and rings) for $5700. He said base list price was $5900, the rings extra, and the dealer gave him the package, shipped for the price above. He and I 'installed' the rings by unscrewing a pair of screws, sliding out the filler in the rib, and sliding in and screwing down the ring bases. Given the gentlemen who as quoted about $1700 to install a scope on a Krieghoff double, it would seem that Chapuis does indeed have a better idea!

Looking at this rifle, hefting it, and remembering a friend on another sight saying that his was accurate and had held up well in several years of usage, it seems like if one wants a quality DR in caliber suitable for anything up to the big nasties and readily available, and wants it at a real deal, this would seem to be it. I am told that they offer the same rifle with upgraded wood, a full tang down to an engraved grip cap (this one is a plain wood cap) for about a $1,000 more, called an RGEX?

Entry level at more than entry level features as far as I can see, and hand regulated according to the factory literature.

Anyone have any time on one of these? Seems like a good deal to me and offered in several calibers. Dave

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: A Nice DR for an equally nice price [Re: dnovo]
      #78521 - 12/05/07 10:14 AM

Quote:

and hand regulated according to the factory literature.

Dave

How else do they regulate a Double Rifle ?!?!?!?!?!?

dnovo
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/05
Loc: Chicago & SE Wisconsin
Re: A Nice DR for an equally nice price [Re: 500Nitro]
      #78522 - 12/05/07 10:22 AM

I understand (according to Wieland's new book and from other sources) that one can simply use a lasr bore sighter to regulate a DR or use the 'old fashioned' method of shooting it, then going back and adjusting the barrels to shoot them until they are regulated. I refer to the latter as 'hand regulated' and the former as 'non-hand?'

Okay, perhaps I was using the wrong terminology, but I spent some time discussing this with a more experienced DR owner and he said that several of the mfgs regulate by using a laser bore sighter and regulating their guns that way. Faster and less labor intensive, but clearly not as reliable as the method I referred to as 'hand regulated.'

I guess the terms I chose are a bit off. What is the correct terminology? Dave

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: A Nice DR for an equally nice price [Re: dnovo]
      #78527 - 12/05/07 10:46 AM

Quote:

I understand (according to Wieland's new book and from other sources) that one can simply use a lasr bore sighter to regulate a DR or use the 'old fashioned' method of shooting it, then going back and adjusting the barrels to shoot them until they are regulated. I refer to the latter as 'hand regulated' and the former as 'non-hand?'

Okay, perhaps I was using the wrong terminology, but I spent some time discussing this with a more experienced DR owner and he said that several of the mfgs regulate by using a laser bore sighter and regulating their guns that way. Faster and less labor intensive, but clearly not as reliable as the method I referred to as 'hand regulated.'

I guess the terms I chose are a bit off. What is the correct terminology? Dave

Having used Laser sighters / Laser Bore sighters, and know that they are useful for getting something "on target" but to regulate a DR's, yes, to get the barrels close before shoting them is a great idea but I really don't think that a DR manufacturer would send out a DR without having shot it using the regulation load.

I will admit I am wrong if someone can show me a web site where they say they use Laser to rgulate a double and don't shoot it.

dnov,
Sorry, just too many variations in shooting DR's from my experience.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 97 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1782

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com