Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Are all Ejectors the same ??

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
AzGuy
.333 member

Reged: 23/03/06
Loc: Prescott, Arizona, USA
Are all Ejectors the same ??
      #78405 - 11/05/07 02:57 AM

IF,IF,.....IF one decides to use the 375 belted cartridge in a DR, what is the "best" ejector? Do they vary greatly by manufacturer? Is this "bastard child" better off with ejectors or extractors?

Edited by Arizona (11/05/07 06:35 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: Best ejector/extractor [Re: AzGuy]
      #78412 - 11/05/07 06:03 AM

Ok, I'll do it.

And thus again begins the extractor/ejector debate.

My onion is that ejectors belong on skeet shotguns, period. All ejectors are extractors for the first few milimeters befor the kickers are triggered. The problem is that when they do fire, there is some change of the claw slipping off.

Here is food for thought. This might put you at some ese if considering a .375 H&H DR. If your cases are so tight that the claw pulls loose, you have a much larger issue at hand.

The premium bullets today will perform at slightly less velocity. You can load down, slow down without lossing killing power.

More food for thought. According to Hodgdons manual:

50,400 cup is a max load

77 grains of H414 yeilds @2400 fsp and 45,500 cup

That is a 10% reduction.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

AzGuy
.333 member

Re: Best ejector/extractor [Re: bonanza]
      #78415 - 11/05/07 06:32 AM

Wasn't trying to "restart" the ejector/extractor debate.....poor choice of words (now changed) in the Subject line. My Bad

Trying to find out if ejectors vary by manufacturer. Is Merkel the same as Heym, H&H,etc?

Are some ejectors better than other ejectors?

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #78420 - 11/05/07 06:51 AM

There are several designs - you could write a book about them if you were to research the topic. Some of the better ones would eject even with a damaged spring, others are more basic.

Let the experts here give you details of the various types.

Good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

dnovo
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/05
Loc: Chicago & SE Wisconsin
Re: Best ejector/extractor [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #78426 - 11/05/07 09:30 AM

My views are purely practical in this non-debate. I prefer extractors since I shoot far more often at the range than in the field and am not planning on facing dangerous game in the near future. My ejector guns, unless I am real careful, kick out that bit of expensive brass I have very carefully nurtured and loaded and if it doesn't sail off where I can't see it, in invaribly hits the concrete and puts a huge wack into the case. Or someone steps on it.

Now isn't that a good reason for voting for extractors? Dave

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

Edited by dnovo (11/05/07 09:32 AM)

AzGuy
.333 member

Re: Best ejector/extractor [Re: dnovo]
      #78432 - 11/05/07 10:30 AM

Dave,

Based on your experience, do you think some "ejectors" are better than other "ejectors"? If so, which ones? Thanks, Jeff

dnovo
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/05
Loc: Chicago & SE Wisconsin
      #78433 - 11/05/07 10:40 AM

I don't know. I find the ones in my DRs all work equally well, and one type is just as much of a pain in the a** as another at the range.

I would point out that one of my absolute favorite DRs, and the one that is clearly the most carefully engineered (and unique in shape and action) is my George Hoening Rotoray Round action in 9.3X74R. George, who is the consummate craftman and spent his entire career leading up to the production of what he envisioned as the perfect DR uses extractors, not ejectors, in this gun. I have no complaints about 'lack of speed' in reloading. Of course, I haven't used it on anything more fearsome than a pair of enraged 'coon bent on trashing the garbage can at the range at my friend's farm. Neither was able to charge me or my friend who had the ejector DR before I was able to reload and take down number two. (Okay, hardly a fair test, my friend didn't get off a shot, he was laughing too hard and the second critter wasn't exactly charging, he was running. You'd be surprised at what a Norma 286gr load will do to a full sized trash bandit at about 30 yards.) Dave

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: Best ejector/extractor [Re: dnovo]
      #78462 - 11/05/07 09:59 PM

The standard ejector design, aside from some funky U.S.A. "non-designs", is the Southgate system. It uses the "over the center" principle. A simple, yet effective design that has dominated the double gun market for more than a century.

This day and time there's really nothing to debate on ejectors. If you like them, you will have Southgate ejectors. If you don't like them, you have extractors (and you're probably wishing you had them).

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

AzGuy
.333 member

Re: Best ejector/extractor [Re: CptCurl]
      #78469 - 11/05/07 11:15 PM

Curl,

Thank you, that is the information I was looking for.

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #78472 - 11/05/07 11:32 PM

I find the system used on my Krieghoff O/U DR's ideal. All you need to do to convert extractors to ejectors and vice versa is to remove the retaining screw and insert or remove the coil spring which activates the ejectors, and although I am less than happy about the idea of using rimless cases in DR's, both sets of barrels, in calibers .458 WM and .375 H&H, have always functioned flawlessly. That said, my more recently acquired Krieghoffs all use rimmed cases (9.3X74R, .500 NE and 8X75RS).

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Best ejector/extractor [Re: xausa]
      #78482 - 12/05/07 03:00 AM

I have both ejector , and extractor double rifles! The Westley Richards have Westley Richards patent ejectors, and the extractors are the very common lift type by whom I do not know. Since I do not have rimless, or belted rimless cartridge double rifles, I don't have either extractor, or ejectors for those, and don't want any.
I can live with either, and do, but the best system I've come across is the selector switch like the Heym, so you have which ever you want, at any given time!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 136 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2643

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com