Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: New Krieghoff Owner!!!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
JusticeTrimble
.224 member

Reged: 25/04/07
Loc: Louisville, KY.
New Krieghoff Owner!!!
      #78236 - 09/05/07 01:56 AM

Hi Guys,

I picked up my new Krieghoff Classic 9.3x74r yesterday. I was very pleased with the overall fit and finish of the gun. Mine is used but looks like it's brand new in the box. It does not have a scratch or dent on it anywhere and does not look as if it's ever been fired. I'm sure it has but it certainly does not have any handling marks on it. I was very surprised at how small it is. It looks like a small 410 side by side. For some reason, I was thinking it would be a bigger gun. It only weighs 7 1/2 to 8 pounds, which makes me wonder how much is this thing going to kick? I haven't shot a real bruiser in 20 years. I used to live and hunt in Alaska and used .375 and 458's. I move to the lower 48 years ago, sold off the big guns and hunt with a 30-30 and a 45-70 (living in the east). Now I've got this nice double, I'm just wondering if I've bitten off more than I'm used to chewing. I'm sure no matter how much it kicks, I'll get over it and keep the gun. I really like how it feels. I just hope it shoots and hits as good as it looks.

I owe my purchase of this gun to many of the people who have posted info on this site. The info I read over the past couple months helped me tremendously. I want to thank all of you who contributed and I look forward to sharing my experiences with you all using my new gun.

If anyone has any words of wisdom to add regarding my "fear" of recoil, I'd certainly appreciate it.

Thanks for your time.

Take Care!

JT

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
degoins
.333 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: SC, USA
Re: New Krieghoff Owner!!! [Re: JusticeTrimble]
      #78240 - 09/05/07 03:01 AM

congrats to you Justin!!! you wont notice the recoil at all when that front bead settles on the buck's shoulder.

foxfire
.375 member

Reged: 25/11/04
Loc: Long Island N.Y.,
      #78246 - 09/05/07 03:44 AM

JusticeTrimble,
I own a Krieghoff 9.3x74R also. It doesn't kick bad at all. I'm not going to try to compare it to anything but the recoil is not a problem to any hunter.
The gun digests any rounds. It seems to shoot to virtually the same point of impact no matter what factory rounds I've used. I don't handload so factory ammo it is. The Nosler factory loads seemed to have shot the best out at 100-200 yards.
When I first got the gun I used the factory regulated rounds. I believe they are RWS 286 grain SP. I needed to adjust the screw between the barrels as the rounds were crossing. One quarter turn and voila perfect placement.
Enjoy your new gun.

--------------------
No good deed goes unpunished

JusticeTrimble
.224 member

Re: New Krieghoff Owner!!! [Re: foxfire]
      #78254 - 09/05/07 04:28 AM

Thanks Foxfire,

Did you mount a scope on yours? If so, where did you get your mounts? If not, how far out are you shooting before you actually think you might need a scope. I really don't have a need for one now but I'm thinking down the road in the future.

I bought Norma ammo, S&B ammo and RWS ammo. Have you shot Norma and S&B yet? If so, how did they shoot?

Secondly, the Krieghoff factory info says if you want to have a second set of barrels added to your system, they will fit them for you. My thoughts are the size of the action with a new set of barrels would be a bit off wouldn't it? I was thinking a larger caliber would need a larger action to support it. However, the printed materials I have been able to find indicate they use the same size action. Is this correct?

Thirdly, my gun came with the Krieghoff soft case. I love it but I was thinking of getting a hard case to provide better protection. What type case did you get for yours?

I really appreciate all your time and help.

Thanks.

JT

foxfire
.375 member

#78260 - 09/05/07 05:57 AM

JusticeTrimble,
I bought mine used also. It came with three sets of barrels a set of 470, 9.3x73R and 7X65R. All three sets have 1.5-6 Ziess Diavari scopes, 2 have claw mounts and one has a pivot mount. I had it restocked left handed.
I have tried all available ammo in 285 and 286 grain. They all shot fine. The S&B shot well as did the Norma and RWS.
I liked the Nosler best. I got a box of A Squared and will soon try Hornady's. But the gun 9.3x74R doesn't seem finicky about ammo at all. The 7x65R was another story it likes one ammo and thats it. The 470 is fine with standard Federal Ammo.
I'm still toying with getting a set of shotgun barrels fitted for it.
Last my gun came in a hard sided Americase for all the toys to be together in.

--------------------

dnovo
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/05
Loc: Chicago & SE Wisconsin
      #78273 - 09/05/07 08:39 AM

I do not find 9.3X74R to be an issue as to recoil. If it does bother you, a Kick-ease, etc style pad will soak up a lot and still let you control the gun quite well. Dave

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
      #78278 - 09/05/07 08:50 AM

Congratulations. You won't be disappointed. The 9.3x74R is a premier cartridge. The recoil is no problem.
Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

JusticeTrimble
.224 member

Re: New Krieghoff Owner!!! [Re: CptCurl]
      #78282 - 09/05/07 10:37 AM

HEY GUYS,

I have another question for you. After reading so much about this caliber, I was thinking of getting a quick disconnect scope set up for it. So, what kind of mounts and QD rings do you put on this gun? And, how much do they cost?

Thanks for the info.

Take Care,

JT.

JusticeTrimble
.224 member

#78285 - 09/05/07 10:44 AM

OK,

One more question:

I tried to put a sling on it last night but the sling swivel holes were too small. Is there a special size sling swivel for this gun? If so, where do you get them?

Thanks again!!!!

dnovo
.333 member

#78310 - 09/05/07 10:52 PM

Call Krieghoff USA, they should be able to supply the answers on the scope mount and swivel questions. I spoke to a gunsmith there a couple months ago and found him both helpful and easy to deal with. Dave

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

foxfire
.375 member

#78311 - 09/05/07 11:05 PM

JusticeTrimble,
I've been to Krieghoff USA in PA. what a great place and easy people to deal with. Give them a call and all your questions will be answered.
A big part of the reason I bought a Krieghoff was the proximity of the US location and how easy they were to deal with.

Krieghoff USA

--------------------

dnovo
.333 member

#78353 - 10/05/07 10:05 AM

Or, if they can't do it, call JJ at Champlain, he may be backed up with work, but if he does it, it will be done perfectly, I assure you. Dave

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

JusticeTrimble
.224 member

Re: New Krieghoff Owner!!! [Re: dnovo]
      #78428 - 11/05/07 09:47 AM

Hello Again,

I got an email back from Krieghoff. They are asking $1850.00 to have mounts installed on my new Classic. Isn't that a little expensive? I've read where there are alternative mounts available and much cheaper than that. Does anyone know where and how much I should expect to pay for mounts other than the expensive one's at Kreighoff? I really love this gun, but that is almost half of what I paid for it. I may be stuck with hunting with open sights for a while until I add up my pennies to have mounts put on it. However, hunting with open sights isn't all that bad. I've done it for years.

I really do appreciate all your feedback and input and look forward to learning more from you all.

Thanks again!!!!

JT

dnovo
.333 member

#78430 - 11/05/07 10:13 AM

Mounts or the process of mounting? Mounting a scope on a double that is not balanced and regulated for it can be an issue. Presumably, the smith at Krieghoff knows what he is doing, but that does seem very high. I priced adding a mount to a Merkel double by the gunsmith at the distributor (also factory trained) and it was far less than what you were quoted.

I would call Champlain and ask to speak to JJ. See what he would charge. Dave

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

foxfire
.375 member

#78461 - 11/05/07 09:13 PM

There was a scope mount on Guns America (approx. $250) I believe that fit in the groove that exists in the gun. It looked ugly and probably wasn't quick removeable but I'm sure it would work for the price paid.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 106 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2993

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com