Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE BOLT FOR NON-DG??

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
AdamTayler
.375 member

Reged: 22/03/04
Loc: B.C.
Re: WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE BOLT FOR NON-DG?? [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #76715 - 17/04/07 02:54 AM

Brno 22H with double set triggers in 7x57 but my go to rifle is a Brno ZKK 600 in 7x57.

--------------------
It's the journey, not the destination.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bigfive
Sponsor

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Freestate,South-Africa
      #76779 - 17/04/07 05:10 PM

I will stand with my .243 Win Brno forever. It is just the rifle that my hand goes to automatically every time I open my safe.

--------------------
"Hunting is a way of life"
Bigfive,South Africa

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #77131 - 20/04/07 11:47 PM

I don't really have a favourite "bolt action maker" but greatly prefer a Mauser 98 actioned rifle. Especially if we are talking about a bolt action for DG. I have M98s from various makers in .30-06 (Parker Hale), .375 H&H Mag (Whitworth), plus others.

The Mannlicher Schoenauer Marrakai posted in full wood 6.5x54mm would be a light rifle dream however and I would snap one up at the right price yesterday.

Actually since seeing an 8x68S Mannlicher-Schoenauer I think I have a new fantasy rifle to try to acquire.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

walksfar
.275 member

Reged: 13/11/05
Loc: East Texas
Re: WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE BOLT FOR NON-DG?? [Re: NitroX]
      #77823 - 02/05/07 02:57 AM

For non-dangerous, and up to and including deer sized animals, I would have to stay with my sporterized military 7.92x57 Mauser98 with 250grn. RN woodleighs. No fuss-no muss. I would not hesitate to use this combo on larger game than deer, including up to moose, it's just that I have other, better, rifles for that. But, for a "truck" gun, which can be counted on to do whatever it needs to do, that ol' military Mauser, loaded properly, is the ticket. It helps out a whole lot, when one does not want to carry a finer rifle through rough stuff, or bouncing around in a truck.

--------------------
..Faith in God and the Mauser...

Member-DRSS

Schamankungulo
.300 member

Reged: 21/04/07
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE BOLT FOR NON-DG?? [Re: walksfar]
      #77901 - 03/05/07 08:49 AM

M98 30/338 ......... my small bore

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
      #78232 - 09/05/07 12:46 AM

my steyr SL 223, as sweet a little action you can find and still doing 2" groups at 300 meters, thats the rifle doing that not me, on my good days i can get around 3".

got it without stock for 120 euro, ewa QR mounts and rings for 30 mm in there as well, paid 200 euro for a stock(bit heavy and clumsy compared to the steyr one) only one problem with it my wife loves it so i may have to let her have it.

peter

Savuti_One_Shot
.300 member

Reged: 24/01/07
Loc: Florida
Re: WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE BOLT FOR NON-DG?? [Re: peter]
      #78481 - 12/05/07 02:38 AM

Either Lee-Speed, one by Evans, the other McNaughton. 303 of course.

SOS

--------------------
"I've this damned cannon." - Robert Wilson

danlfraser
.224 member

Reged: 26/03/07
Loc: NH
Re: WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE BOLT FOR NON-DG?? [Re: hoppdoc]
      #78572 - 13/05/07 10:38 AM

Right now my favorite rifle for non-dangerous game is my Bell owned 275 Rigby, even though it has taken big game.This has already taken an Elephant with Harry Selby's daughter Gail and other game with her brother Mark.

AzGuy
.333 member

Reged: 23/03/06
Loc: Prescott, Arizona, USA
Re: WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE BOLT FOR NON-DG?? [Re: danlfraser]
      #78574 - 13/05/07 12:41 PM

danlfraser,

Welcome to the Forum! Sounds like you have a very nice part of history there! Good on you!! Please post pictures if you can. Thanks, Jeff

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE BOLT FOR NON-DG?? [Re: AzGuy]
      #78577 - 13/05/07 02:27 PM

G'day danlfraser. Glad to see you here.

As you would know, Joe Coogan wrote a marvellous story about the Bell .275 a few years ago, called "Rigby the 'Excellent' .275", published in the American Rifleman, Nov 2004.

I thought it was linked through Gail Selby Wentink's personal web-site: http://gabrimaun.tripod.com/ but I can't find it there now. There are a couple of other interesting 'campfire yarns' worth the read, though!

From the Coogan article:
Quote:

"The .275 Rigby - really the 7×57 mm Mauser - is one of the greatest African and North American hunting cartridges of all time. The .275 "never let down" famed elephant hunter "Karamojo" Bell, and still renders sterling service to hunters worldwide today.

"Speaking personally, my greatest successes have been obtained with the 7mm Rigby-Mauser (.275 Rigby) .... It seemed to show a remarkable aptitude for finding the brain of an elephant."-W.D.M. "Karamojo" Bell The hunting exploits of Walter Dalrymple Maitland Bell often bring to mind the use of small-caliber rifles for taking Africa's largest game. Bell's adventures and big game experiences are chronicled in three books he wrote-Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter, Bell of Africa and Karamojo Safari. Judging by his accounts of hunting prowess and successes, it may not be too much to suggest that Bell was largely responsible for elevating the .225 Rigby rifle's capabilities to almost mythic heights.

Among his many rifles, Bell considered the .275 Rigby-Mauser a favorite, for it was with this rifle that he reputedly shot many of his more than 1,000 elephants taken during 30 years of hunting in Africa. As the ultimate tribute to his .275 Rigby, Bell claims in Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter, "[T]he fact remains that, although I have used about every other kind of rifle and bullet, the only one which never let me down was my .275 Rigby/Mauser using DWM ammunition."

When Bell first arrived in Africa shortly before the turn of the 20th Century, he was not yet 20 years old. In 1902 he pushed through to a remote territory in northern Uganda called Karamojo, which was destined to become one of his favored hunting grounds. It also accounted for the moniker by which he's most commonly known-"Karamojo" Bell.

As Bell's knowledge and big-game hunting experience increased, he embraced more and more the use of light-caliber rifles like the .256 Mannlicher and .275 Rigby (which he sometimes referred to as the .276). For a majority of the open-country hunting he did, he felt that either one of these calibers was superior to the heavy double guns used by most of the elephant hunters of that period. Bell firmly believed the size of bullet made less difference to the kill than did the placement of the shot, as long as there was sufficient penetration.

Explaining this contradictory concept of little bullets for big game Bell wrote, "I possessed the double .400.1 also had a .275. Sometimes I used one and sometimes the other, and it began to dawn on me that when an elephant was hit in the right place with the .275 it died just as quickly as when hit with the .400, and vice versa. When the bullet from either rifle was wrongly placed death did not ensue." Although Bell was controversial for his firearms predilections, history still counts him among the era's greatest elephant hunters.

Bell's Guns

Shortly before Bell died in his native Scotland in 1953, his accomplishments as an elephant hunter became known to writer Robert Ruark. It was during his first safari with Harry Selby in 1952 that Ruark became fascinated by accounts of Bell's extraordinary big-game achievements. Sometime after his first safari, Ruark happened to be in London and paid a visit to the Westley Richards gun shop. There he discovered that Bell's widow had recently consigned her late husband's guns to Westley Richards to sell.

Ruark bought two of Bell's rifles-a double Jeffery .450/400 N.E. and a .275 Rigby, both of which he earmarked for his godson, Mark Selby. Ruark had small silver nameplates encrraved with "Mark Robert Selbv from Uncle Bob Ruark" inlaid on the buttstocks of each and presented the famous rifles to Harry Selby for safe keeping-Mark was only 2 years old at the time.

Mark's .275 Rigby, originally owned by Bell and given to him by his godfather Robert Ruark, was a take-down model-a useful feature for the traveling sportsman. An early Rigby catalogue describes removing the barrel by grasping the barrel and fore-end with your right hand and placing the stock under your left arm. Pulling open the spring catch in the fore-end with the index finger of your left hand then allowed you to unscrew the barrel and fore-end.

The rifle was also distinctive for the elongated hole that was cut through the butt-stock, the purpose for which is uncertain. Possibly Bell utilized the hole for some form of specialized carry. For whatever reason the hole was meant, this particular feature is unknown on any other Rigby and is not mentioned in any of the Rigby catalogues, so Bell must have cut the stock with some specific purpose in mind.

It was a great privilege for me in 1973 to have the chance to handle that .275 Rigby rifle, by then in Mark's care. It also planted the seed of desire in my mind to one day own such a rifle. The gun's already-rich history was further enhanced by the hunting the Selby family did with it. Both Harry and Mark used the rifle to pot plains game, and in 1973 Mark's younger sister, Gail carried it on an elephant hunt.

Gail, while still in her teens, had indicated to her father a desire to hunt a jumbo. Harry was then Managing Director of Ker, Downey & Selby (KDS) Safaris in Botswana, which late in the season happened to have a few elephants left on quota in one of their hunting concessions. Accompanied by her father and armed with the .275 Rigby stoked with 175-gr. solids, Gail was successful in dropping a good bull in the open grasslands of the Mababe Depression in northern Botswana. It was a great personal accomplishment for Gail, and a grand hunt conducted in a style for which Bell surely would have approved."

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

georgegibbs505
.275 member

Reged: 19/01/07
Loc: WV
Re: WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE BOLT FOR NON-DG?? [Re: Marrakai]
      #78628 - 14/05/07 09:13 AM

How can we be sure you have it.

ORION
.275 member

Reged: 25/01/03
Loc: SSouth Australia
Re: WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE BOLT FOR NON-DG?? [Re: georgegibbs505]
      #79610 - 30/05/07 10:34 PM

My Mannlicher Schoenauer Mod.1903 in 6.5x54
for 30 years it was my BRNO .270

Waihi
Orion

P.S.
John,next year in June I go to Austria there is one 6.5x54
with a 4 Hendsold (1000 Euro)with einhakmontage.

Gustavo
.224 member

Reged: 01/02/07
Loc: Buenos Aires, ARGENTINA
Re: WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE BOLT FOR NON-DG?? [Re: ORION]
      #79645 - 31/05/07 09:35 AM

The Ruger Mk II, all-weather, especially with the old-style stock...I know...flak is coming

They gave me everything I care for.

1) CRF action ( modernized Mauser M98 )

2) 3-pos, frame mounted safety ( a failsafe design no matter what )

3) Integral scope bases ( no way to have an issue )

4) 95% stainless built.

5) Decent to great field accuracy when the load is OK

6) Though and more though

7) Great value

--------------------
Best regards, Gus
--------------------------------------------------
ColdBore 1.0 - the ballistics/reloading software solution
http://www.patagoniaballistics.com

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE BOLT FOR NON-DG?? [Re: Gustavo]
      #80879 - 18/06/07 02:57 PM

SAKO DeLuxe Left Hand with EAW QD scope mounts and Leupold M8-4X scope and Paul Jaeger rear and front sights. .375 H&H Magnum. Bought it in 1987 and have killed game with it in Kentucky, Washington, Idaho and South Africa. Added a Soup Can to the muzzle when I was fighting a nerve disease 6 years ago, and I forged a new front sight from a 20 penny nail when that broke off in a fall. Was worn silver when I had it reblued a few years ago and now its lookin' purty again. The Finns made a good one and I'll keep it.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Bigfive
Sponsor

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Freestate,South-Africa
      #81898 - 05/07/07 08:47 PM

I am not only a plain and simple person but I am also on the poor side.
I have never had any problems what so ever with any of my BRNO's so I'll stick to them. My favouate being my .243 Win.

--------------------
"Hunting is a way of life"
Bigfive,South Africa

Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Re: WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE BOLT FOR NON-DG?? [Re: Bigfive]
      #81900 - 05/07/07 09:35 PM

My favorite bolt rifle is an HS Precision Sporter in 30-06 (http://www.hsprecision.com/). The stock is olive drab and the barrel is 22 inches. The action is made by HS Precision from round bar stock with a push feed bolt, and has a three-position wing safety. The trigger is 2.5 pounds and perfect. Accuracy is superb, consistently 3/4 MOA for five-shot groups with Nosler 165 and 180 gr partitions.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 55 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 14557

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com