Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: A Bernardelli SxS Rifle ????

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
DBBill
.300 member

Reged: 25/05/03
Loc: Southern California, USA
A Bernardelli SxS Rifle ????
      #7823 - 30/01/04 02:07 PM

I just got back from looking at a Bernardelli double rifle in 375 H&H and it was about the sweetest handling rifle I ever picked up. Beautiful wood with a european cheekpiece, a small beavertail forend, nicely checkered and at 7 lbs 10 oz felt like a high-grade 20ga shotgun in my hands. It also had very substantial ejectors.

I also saw a very, very nice 9.3x74R SxS....name on it was Wolf....this was a true sidelock gun. It was a bit heavier than the Bernarnelli and didn't balance quite as well but if I had not of handled the Bernardelli I would have thought it one of the best I've handled to date. Price was substantially more than the Bernardelli but still reasonable.

Anyone have any experience with either of these brands? I will probably take both out this weekend for a trial.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
Re: A Bernardelli SxS Rifle ???? [Re: DBBill]
      #7829 - 30/01/04 02:31 PM

Never seen one of Wolf's rifles, but I've heard good things about them from people. Sorry for not having more info...

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

Dark_Helmet
.333 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
      #7874 - 31/01/04 03:41 AM

my 8.5# 375 hits hard enough, I can't imagine one at 7-10!!!!!

--------------------

-me

(long live the Mauser 98!)

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: A Bernardelli SxS Rifle ???? [Re: Dark_Helmet]
      #7886 - 31/01/04 05:24 AM

I have shot a few Italian Doubles of different makes as I have some friends in Italy and it is much easier for them to buy a n Italian rifle than a rifle from another country. I can't recall specifically if one was a Bernadelli but I do know they make a pretty nice shotgun.

One thing I have noticed is that, like Italian cars, they are all pretty to look at but high maintenance.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

NONE
.300 member

Reged: 15/12/03
Re: A Bernardelli SxS Rifle ???? [Re: mickey]
      #7899 - 31/01/04 07:33 AM

"One thing I have noticed is that, like Italian cars, they are all pretty to look at but high maintenance."

I am no expert on double rifles but as for the Italian cars no truer words have ever been spoken.

James F. Nixon III

DBBill
.300 member

#7917 - 31/01/04 10:44 AM

Mickey....back in the Dark Ages when I was stationed in San Antonio and before I got married I used to drive a red Alfa Romeo Guiletta Roadster. It was, to me, one of the great sports cars of the early '60's. Great handling, beautiful body work and fast enough to get where you wanted in a hurry....just like the girls I dated.

Unfortunately it turned out to be a fair-weather car (again like many of the girls I dated) because after the USAF sent me to Penn State for graduate school it was never the same again.......starting up in the garage in the morning it would be fine but after being parked outside in temps anywhere near freezing for 2 hours or more I would need a jump start to get home. I finally swapped it for a Jag XK-150S that was a heck of a lot faster but not nearly as much fun to drive....however, it did start everytime.

mickey
.416 member

#7919 - 31/01/04 11:24 AM

DBBill

Now you are bringing back memories. In the late 60's I had a Red Veloce Spyder, aluminum body, wire wheels with knock offs, an AM-FM radio, roll up windows, a soft top that didn't leak (much). I loved that car.

Spent one week of every 4 in the shop and cost me an equivalent to my monthly rent to keep running. I traded mine for a Volvo 122S. Something with a good heater.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

DBBill
.300 member

#7928 - 31/01/04 12:06 PM

The good old days...gas was less than 20 cents per gallon and a date that included dinner for two at a nice restaurant with tickets to a Country Western concert that included Willie Nelson (before the beard), Webb Pierce, Roger Miller, Jim Reeves, Porter Waggoner and Dolly Parton (before the enhancelment ) cost less than $20....and I had a 28" waist.

ThomasEdwards
.300 member

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: Newport Beach, CA
      #7933 - 31/01/04 12:30 PM

...that's why i usually stick with german products (cars included), as a general rule-of-thumb (tho i should apply the learning to guns as well)...

...shot my beretta gallery gold sable 20 bore for the first time today, and, in addition to several misfires, noticed that the barrels were significantly 'off-face' and that the action was nearly impossible to open without considerable force...conversely, the 9.3 barrels functioned flawlessly...its back to the gallery i suppose...

mickey
.416 member

Re: A Bernardelli SxS Rifle ???? [Re: ThomasEdwards]
      #7936 - 31/01/04 01:02 PM

Sorry to hear about that. I think that sometimes we assume too much from name brand makers. Extra barrels have to be hand fitted and sometimes that part slips by without shots being fired. I'm sure they will take care of it but the inconvenivnce is enought o make you scream at times.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

ThomasEdwards
.300 member

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: Newport Beach, CA
      #7944 - 31/01/04 02:25 PM

...thanks for the condolences...the gallery took 5 months to deliver the first time around...wonder how long they will take this time...

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 88 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3189

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com