Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: A lack of Mauser actions (slight rant) . . . ?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
pinotguy
.275 member

Reged: 03/02/07
Loc: CO
A lack of Mauser actions (slight rant) . . . ?
      #78198 - 08/05/07 01:18 PM

Folks, I pose this question primarily out of frustration. Unless I'm mistaken, are there no new Commercial-style Mauser 98 actions available in the U.S. anymore? I'm thinking along the lines of the FN Herstal, Interarms Mark X, etc. I know KBI/Charles Daly used to sell actions but now that Remington has entered the equation that source is long gone. I finally located a New-In-Box Interarms Mark X action last week from a gentleman in KS and jumped at the chance to buy it. My frustration arose from the fact that it took about 6 mos. of casual looking and 2 additional months of intensive searching before I found something. (I am currently attending a gunsmithing school and needed an action for a final project.) Should a well-made, (relatively) affordable Mauser action be that difficult to find? I don't understand why one of the most popular actions in history is not more readily available to gunsmiths and custom rifle-makers in the U.S. Of course, everyone would love to have an action from Satterlee, Granite Mountain, or Waffenfabrik-Hein but the reality is that a majority of people cannot afford one of those.

All apologies for making this sound like sour grapes. I'm just genuinely curious to know if new Mauser actions have dried up.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Roscoe
.224 member

Reged: 25/02/07
Loc: Arkansas
Re: A lack of Mauser actions (slight rant) . . . ? [Re: pinotguy]
      #78234 - 09/05/07 01:10 AM

Try locating a Left hand Mauser Action.....that will take you to a whole new level of frustration!

wellplugger
.224 member

Reged: 03/11/06
Loc: So. East Texas
Re: A lack of Mauser actions (slight rant) . . . ? [Re: Roscoe]
      #78253 - 09/05/07 04:27 AM

Well said Roscoe..............Left Hand quadruples the difficulty and at least in most cases doubles/triples the price.

Good luck with your search................Lee

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: A lack of Mauser actions (slight rant) . . . ? [Re: wellplugger]
      #78255 - 09/05/07 04:34 AM

Quote:

Well said Roscoe..............Left Hand quadruples the difficulty and at least in most cases doubles/triples the price.

Good luck with your search................Lee

Yep, and when one comes on the market, those who want one
won't pay the price so they are foreever in a state of looking, and every year the price goes up even more.

Same as doubles !

A mate over here has wanted one for years and the price has gone up 3 - 4 fold since he started looking.

pinotguy
.275 member

Reged: 03/02/07
Loc: CO
Re: A lack of Mauser actions (slight rant) . . . ? [Re: 500Nitro]
      #78280 - 09/05/07 09:39 AM

Fellas,

Although not left-handed, I can certainly empathize, especially after this recent search. Ironically enough, in my quest, I came across several lefty actions (in all sizes). It seems that while there weren't as many made for left-handed shooters, there seems to be less demand as well, so in a way, they're easier to find. Just think though - if a source for new Mauser actions existed these days, you wouldn't have to comb heaven and earth to find one, regardless of whether you were right or left handed.

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #78283 - 09/05/07 10:41 AM

pinotguy

The reason the demand is less is that more of the commercial manufacturers now make left handed versions (so people don't have to custom build there own) and Blaser et al have also taken up some of the demand for left handed guns.

Roscoe
.224 member

Reged: 25/02/07
Loc: Arkansas
      #78319 - 10/05/07 02:03 AM

Quote:

Fellas,

Although not left-handed, I can certainly empathize, especially after this recent search. Ironically enough, in my quest, I came across several lefty actions (in all sizes). It seems that while there weren't as many made for left-handed shooters, there seems to be less demand as well, so in a way, they're easier to find. Just think though - if a source for new Mauser actions existed these days, you wouldn't have to comb heaven and earth to find one, regardless of whether you were right or left handed.

You found many LH Mauser actions...or just LH actions? If you have a source for LH Mausers at a working mans price please share it with me. I have been having a hell of a time finding any.

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #78336 - 10/05/07 05:08 AM

One possible source of FN actions you may not have tapped is the FN rifles sold by Sears Roebuck under the J C Higgens trademark. From time to time I see the complete rifle going for a song.

Speedswing
.224 member

Reged: 03/01/07
Loc: Made in USA
      #78398 - 11/05/07 01:06 AM

Quote:

Folks, I pose this question primarily out of frustration. Unless I'm mistaken, are there no new Commercial-style Mauser 98 actions available in the U.S. anymore? I'm thinking along the lines of the FN Herstal, Interarms Mark X, etc. I know KBI/Charles Daly used to sell actions but now that Remington has entered the equation that source is long gone. I finally located a New-In-Box Interarms Mark X action last week from a gentleman in KS and jumped at the chance to buy it. My frustration arose from the fact that it took about 6 mos. of casual looking and 2 additional months of intensive searching before I found something. (I am currently attending a gunsmithing school and needed an action for a final project.) Should a well-made, (relatively) affordable Mauser action be that difficult to find? I don't understand why one of the most popular actions in history is not more readily available to gunsmiths and custom rifle-makers in the U.S. Of course, everyone would love to have an action from Satterlee, Granite Mountain, or Waffenfabrik-Hein but the reality is that a majority of people cannot afford one of those.

All apologies for making this sound like sour grapes. I'm just genuinely curious to know if new Mauser actions have dried up.

I feel your pain. The mausers should be more available, to the people who want them.

The Mauser action is just not the current fad. Its all about the mighty dollar. Gun company's capable of mass production dont care that you or I want a OG style mauser.

bulldog563
.400 member

Reged: 21/10/05
Loc: California
Re: A lack of Mauser actions (slight rant) . . . ? [Re: Speedswing]
      #78746 - 16/05/07 02:52 PM

There are always mil surp actions to be had.

--------------------
Join the National Rifle Association:
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #80284 - 10/06/07 12:33 PM

Actually, pinotguy, high quality Mauser action rifles aren't too difficult to find.

There are quite a few Swedish Husqvarna rifles coming into the USA right now and many sport excellent quality commercial FN 98 actions.

Allan's Armory, KEBCO, Simpson's LTD all sell these rifles in the $350-$600 range. I understand you might be looking for an action-only and might not want to pay for a rifle when all you need is the action, but consider this; these rifles were built on some of the best 98 actions ever made. Spin the barrel off and sell the parts you don't need on Gunbroker or Ebay.

I am no purist but remember, some might scream and howl at you for chopping one up.

Over on the Swedish Commercial and Civilian Arms website at Gunboards you could also post a Want to Buy. Very civil site and modifications are "allowed" to be discussed on the site. Not sure what would be said about a cannibal job.

Husqvarna used 96 {M46}, pre-war 98 {M146}, post-war 98 {M640 series} and then the long series of Husky modified 96 action rifles. Make sure you specifically get a 98 action rifle.

My 146 was built in 1939 and sports a FN 98 action and I just bought another, a 1953-built commercial M640 in 8x57. Husqvarna 98 actions were not converted milsurps.

One word of warning: When you buy one, make sure it has not been modified. For example, pure, unmodified 98's exist, but some have been D/T'd, bolt handles bent, etc. Some had factory swept bolt handles and some had factory peep sight D/T.

Also, the Swedes didn't mark their rifles with model numbers. And making it a little more confusing, some model rifles {notably the 640 series} were made with a variety of action types. So don't necessarily use my list above to find the right Swede. Stick your nose on the trail by asking for a "98-action rifle" and you should come up with some pretty quickly.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Edited by 9ThreeXFifty7 (10/06/07 10:17 PM)

ElCaballero
.224 member

Reged: 08/11/05
Loc: Missouri, USA
Re: A lack of Mauser actions (slight rant) . . . ? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #84301 - 20/08/07 12:59 PM

You can usually find decent Mark X complete rifles in Gunbroker and Auction Arms for under $400.

--------------------
As a general rule, people are nuts!

Whitneymr
.224 member

Reged: 26/08/07
Loc: Colorado, USA
Re: A lack of Mauser actions (slight rant) . . . ? [Re: ElCaballero]
      #84941 - 30/08/07 03:48 PM

Actually Midway is selling the Remington labeled Mauser barreled actions now.

Pages: 1

Extra information
3 registered and 97 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4334

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com