Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: New double, perhaps

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
poprivit
.333 member

Reged: 09/04/07
Loc: Las Vegas, NV
New double, perhaps
      #76838 - 18/04/07 08:36 AM

Ok, al;l you RKIs out there; what say you about the Blaser S2? I have a chance of buying a new one for under $8500. I know a bit about the company's R93, but zilch about the S2.

Caliber: 500/416

Oh yeah, ammo is a tad expensive. Somewhere near $770 for 60 rounds.

Or, should I stick with my Ruger Magnum in .458 Lott?

One or the other is going Cape Buffalo hunting in Botswana in 2008.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dnovo
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/05
Loc: Chicago & SE Wisconsin
Re: New double, perhaps [Re: poprivit]
      #76844 - 18/04/07 10:09 AM

I handled one in 243 of all things! Seemed very well built and shot very accurately. (Think I saw it for sale on Gunsamerica currently if you want to take a gander. First Stop Guns in Rapid City SD had it for sale.) Can't project how it would 'scale up' but while I liked the overall fit and finish of this one, I didn't like the overall look, more a taste issue than anything else. The price you are being offered seems quite reasonable, but I suspect that they didn't sell well here and are being discounted for that reason.

As for the choice of caliber, I think you will find your 458 Lott will do the same or better for a lot less in ammo price. Or, if you want a DR, the 450-400, 470 or several others may be just as efficient and cost less to shot. Dave

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

Edited by dnovo (18/04/07 10:10 AM)

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: New double, perhaps [Re: dnovo]
      #76852 - 18/04/07 12:05 PM

I believe in KISS, other Doubles seem quicker to get into action--

Chapuis makes a good entry Double for the money-

http://www.champlinarms.com/Default.aspx...=3&GunID=22

or a Merkal can be had cheaper without ejectors,etc--

http://www.heymusa.com/inventory/merkel_470/merkel_470_1.htm

Whatever floats your boat!!

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Edited by hoppdoc (18/04/07 12:07 PM)

armbar
.300 member

Reged: 25/05/05
Loc: So Cal USA
Re: New double, perhaps [Re: hoppdoc]
      #76864 - 18/04/07 06:19 PM

Poprivit,
I own 2 R93's so in general I like Blasers, however, when I was trying to decide what kind of double to buy I took my time and eventually I decided that it really wasn't my idea of the DR I wanted. I didn't like the rubber between the bbls, or the safety. Do a search on this forum to see what others have said about them. I understand that they shoot well, but I cant get over those two things. Keep handling different DR's and eventually you'll come to an informed decision. Best of luck!
Armbar.

bulldog563
.400 member

Reged: 21/10/05
Loc: California
Re: New double, perhaps [Re: armbar]
      #76866 - 18/04/07 07:10 PM

What is your budget and what caliber would you like? Maybe we can give you some other options to think about.

One thing I don't like about the S2 is the barrel shroud. Seems like it would be a real pain to reload quickly which would be a huge con if you are going to hunt DG with it, which you are. Another con if you are hunting DG is the auto safety which I believe this one has (correct me if I am wrong). Those two things alone would make me look elsewhere.

Here are a couple ideas from a quick search of one dealer not far from the price of the Blaser that I would take a good look at;

These two would be my top choices:

http://www.champlinarms.com/Default.aspx...3&GunID=827

http://www.champlinarms.com/Default.aspx...3&GunID=823

Here are a few more that would serve your purposes admirably;

http://www.champlinarms.com/Default.aspx...=3&GunID=22

http://www.champlinarms.com/Default.aspx...3&GunID=783

This Krieghoff comes with a scope but it is a 500 so, personally I would remove the scope, only problem is the recoil will be brisk because it is 10 pounds w/o scope;

http://www.champlinarms.com/Default.aspx...3&GunID=807

Other choices to look at would be Heym, Merkel, Searcy or one of the many vintage brit rifles. All depends what your budget is and what you are looking for.

--------------------
Join the National Rifle Association:
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp

Edited by bulldog563 (18/04/07 07:31 PM)

bwana600nitro
.224 member

Reged: 13/02/06
Loc: San Antonio, Texas
Re: New double, perhaps [Re: bulldog563]
      #76912 - 19/04/07 02:40 AM

Dont see anything wrong with the blaser. If it is your first double you will get used to it and its operation will become second nature. The blaser is very very strong action and all I've been around are very accurate. They can be scoped, and they have a very durable finish. Not a bad package for under 10K, and the 500/416 may be the best caliber in the nitro express line for client sportsman. Blaser usually have great wood also!

On the down side I dont like the auto decock on the blaser, but as I said earlier if that is what you learn on then that does not matter. Also I dont care for the "rubber barrel between thing" on the blaser. Just a fit and finish thing for me.

All in all other than looks I cant pick apart the blaser as far as a hunting arm. I say go for it!! If you shoot a buch I think it will have less problems than older guns. Just my 2 cents, now fire away!!

Ed

--------------------
"The big ones look big" Jack O'Conner

dnovo
.333 member

Re: New double, perhaps [Re: bwana600nitro]
      #76963 - 19/04/07 10:12 AM

Maybe the basic question is whether you want a new gun or, to get one that will function as well, pay about half again as much for an older 'vintage' DR.

I agree bulldog that if you are looking for a used DR, George at Champlain is the man to speak to. I have never had anything but honest and straightforward advice on his used inventory and if you don't like it, he takes it back with no issues. He has no doubt handled more doubles than most of us have ever seen and has JJ as his in house gunsmith who can check out or fix virtually anything. But look at the guns Bulldog listed as examples. The new Chapuis he lists (which I understand is now sold, but he has others on the way) in 470 will cost less than a lot of functionable, but well worn and a bit beat up double from the UK in lesser calibers. The Douglas he had listed in 470 is sold, but was also a recent vintage gun. You want a pristine A&N 470, about as 'generic' as one can get in a 470, and you will pay double the price of the Chapuis. You want a WR or the like? Pony up big money.

If you want a double to hunt, and are not buying to collect or just want a quality British DR, then the choices Bulldog lists makes sense. And, as new rifles go, a slightly used Merkel, Chapuis, Kreighoff, etc will still bring a substantial percentage of new price. The Blaser will 'depreciate' more as it is not as popular or perhaps just too quirky for some.

Horses for courses. Just to shoot, go new. To keep, and if you want to pay a bunch more, go 'vintage.' Dave

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
      #76970 - 19/04/07 11:42 AM

I tenatively plan on hunting my Merkel then selling it and upgrading to a more versatile "fun" qd scoped 450/400 and scoped 9.3 x 74R Double(Is a 9.3 x 74R extra barrel possible??)

Eventually I would luv a "best" quality 470 but that will probably never happen with 4 kids and a wife who likes to spend money!!

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Edited by hoppdoc (19/04/07 11:50 AM)

dnovo
.333 member

#77025 - 20/04/07 12:42 AM

"I tenatively plan on hunting my Merkel then selling it and upgrading to a more versatile "fun" qd scoped 450/400 and scoped 9.3 x 74R Double(Is a 9.3 x 74R extra barrel possible??)" The answer is yes since I have seen that done, but perhaps you may not want to do so for the following reason.

A 9.3X74R can be built on a smaller 'frame' and is generally lighter built than most 450/400s. One solution would be to buy a Chapuis in one of the lower grades (I think William Larkin Moore has one in the 6,000 range) and they come set up to scope quite easily. I have handled several of the 'low rent' Chapuis doubles in the smaller calibers and 'lesser' grades, and they are very, very nicely finished, not 'cheap' in fit, finish and styling elements, and shoot very accurately.

Why make one double do double duty (sorry about that) when you could get a nicely-maintained or new 450/400 and get a Chapuis for the price of a second barrel set? The latter would be easier to handle and less of a hassle in changing barrels, scopes, etc with the two barrel set up on an inherently heavier gun. Dave

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

poprivit
.333 member

Reged: 09/04/07
Loc: Las Vegas, NV
      #77063 - 20/04/07 08:55 AM

Thanks all. I talked to the sellers of the Blaser and got it for exactly $8k, plus overnight shipping to my FFL. I really didn't want an old, moldy British double (that means I can't afford a nice W-R .470), so fine German cannon will do nicely. Plus, there's that warrantee ...

It definetly is going to be a shooter, not a collector. I'm 62 and will probably keep it forever, so I'm not concerned with value.

Feeding it might be a different problem, though ...

RCBS says dies are $280 - shell holder another $20. Bullets a buck a piece; 109.5 grains of powder per round. Ammo seems prretty much the same no matter who has it - $175 per 20. A bunch more then my .458 Lott. I know, I know; don't snivel.

(Anybody want to buy a Ruger Magnum in .458 Lott? 10 rounds fired. Puts three touching at 50 yards. I'll kick in brass, loaded rounds, dies, etc. - $1550)

bwana600nitro
.224 member

Reged: 13/02/06
Loc: San Antonio, Texas
Re: New double, perhaps [Re: poprivit]
      #77068 - 20/04/07 09:52 AM

8K is a deal for a well made double as the blaser is. I think you will enjoy it. Welcome to double rifle ownership. They are unique hunting tools, enjoy!!!

Ed

--------------------
"The big ones look big" Jack O'Conner

Nighthawk
.224 member

Reged: 12/02/07
Loc: Belgium
Re: New double, perhaps [Re: bwana600nitro]
      #77336 - 24/04/07 11:39 PM

Congratulations on your purchase. I also recently bought an S2 (in 9,3x74R) and I really like it! At 8k, it's a steal.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #77871 - 02/05/07 07:43 PM

or a Merkal can be had cheaper without ejectors,etc--

http://www.heymusa.com/inventory/merkel_470/merkel_470_1.htm

Whatever floats your boat!!

FYI--Merkels are now equiped with ejectors as well--either is available.
Ripp

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 103 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3607

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com