Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Barrel Bands

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
SBT
.224 member

Reged: 03/01/03
Loc: Jackson Hole, Wyoming
Barrel Bands
      #450 - 04/01/03 09:43 PM

What is the advantage of a barrel band versus sling swivel on the forearm?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Westley_Richards
.224 member

Loc: Boulder, Colorado
Re: Barrel Bands [Re: SBT]
      #607 - 07/01/03 07:51 AM

My understanding is the barrel band sling swivel is less likely to pinch or scrape your hand when shooting heavy recoiling rifles. Besides it looks cool.
Westley Richards

--------------------
It's in the salt.

cchunter
.375 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Kinna, Sweden
Re: Barrel Bands [Re: Westley_Richards]
      #608 - 07/01/03 08:25 AM

If you use that with for an example a ching sling wouldn't that harm the accurency of the rifle?

--------------------

Christer Hansson

SBT
.224 member

Loc: Jackson Hole, Wyoming
Re: Barrel Bands [Re: cchunter]
      #609 - 07/01/03 11:21 AM

If I have a sling attached to a barrel band, and use the sling as a 'shooting sling" (left arm wrapped up in it) will this put downward pressure on the barrel, and make my shot low?

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #623 - 07/01/03 02:34 PM

I think if you have a sling attached to a barrel band it makes the sling purely a "carrying strap". I believe using the sling on a barrel band as a rest will mess up your shots somewhat.

The protruding swivel stud or swivel on heavy recoiling rifles can injure your hand as Westley Richards mentions, and probably it is anticipated that precision accuracy and long range shooting is not the normal for big bores.

Plus a lot of people remove the slings when hunting nasties especially in thick cover

There used to be sling swivel with the "studs" recessed into the forend. These would solve both issues.

Christer
I would be interested in any comments of the Safari Ching Sling when your's arrives

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

cchunter
.375 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Kinna, Sweden
Re: Barrel Bands [Re: NitroX]
      #630 - 08/01/03 01:20 AM

NitroX

I will keep you informed about the test!

--------------------

Christer Hansson

Westley_Richards
.224 member

Loc: Boulder, Colorado
Re: Barrel Bands [Re: cchunter]
      #690 - 09/01/03 04:52 AM

Christer,
I believe that the force exerted by a sling attatched to the barrel used to steady my aim is insignificant in comparison to my 4 inch flinch when I shoot the old .500N.
- Westley Richards-

--------------------
It's in the salt.

Jeffeosso
.275 member

Reged: 11/01/03
Loc: Porter, Texas
      #777 - 11/01/03 01:39 AM

There's really two reasons, with a functional third.

First, as stated, that this moves the sling stud out of the hands/rifle interaction during recoil

Second, on the "same" rifle, when shouldered, the barrel will be 4-8 inches lower, thereby keeping the rifle out of the brush better (keeping it closer to the height of your noggin)

My Idea, the third, is that with the british short stock, a stock stud WOULD hit your paw, even on a 7x57 and with the forearm being soo short, you would carry the gun VERY high on a shoulder strap.

I wish you could post visio drawings on forums, as this would be very easy to see, if drawn.

jeffe

--------------------
Why do Scots men wear kilts? Because it's far easier to run with your kilt up than your pants down

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Barrel Bands [Re: Jeffeosso]
      #1480 - 06/02/03 06:29 AM

I agree with Jeffe, this barrel mounted sling stud is a hold over from the old Britt made big bore rifles! The classic short fore ends made the hand a target for this stud under heavy recoil. But like the double shotguns, and double rifles the sling studs are out on the barrels, to allow the rifle to be carried on a sling with the long barrel's muzzle lower than the hunter's head, to avoid it hanging on bush. Most "BIG BORE" rifles are not used with a sling, except to carry it, and are most often removed when the stalk starts!

If you are a hunter/shooter, who MUST use a sling to shoot, then a flush mounted fore arm sling swivel should be used. The barrel mounted stud will definetly change POI if the sling is used for a SHOOTING STRAP! Unless shooting at Prairie dogs I see no need for a wrap-up to shoot, especially if useing a BIG BORE rifle!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #2984 - 26/05/03 02:35 PM

In my opinion the barrel mounted swivel is far more robust than some of the forend mounted ones.
In flat, easy going hunting areas this might not count for much, but in more difficult terrain things can be very different.
When climbing in steep country, crossing rivers etc where a slip or fall is likely, you often sling the rifle across your chest to be able to keep both hands free. This sometimes puts considerable load on the swivels and often I've had QD forend swivels work loose in the wood and start to rotate.
With a barrel mounted set up this cannot happen.
For any rifle to be used in challenging country I'd prefer to have the barrel mount front swivel regardless of recoil or barrel carry height.

Crazyquik
.275 member

Reged: 21/12/03
Re: Barrel Bands [Re: 4seventy]
      #6920 - 14/01/04 09:49 AM

Off topic but of concern, a Mannlicher style stock will often change the POI when using a sling as a shooting strap as well.

Especially if you use it like I do, with most of the pressure going to the side instead of straight down.

Pedestal
.224 member

Reged: 14/01/04
Loc: Trinity, TX
Re: Barrel Bands [Re: NitroX]
      #6954 - 15/01/04 12:15 AM

Pachmyer still makes recessed sling swivel/studs. They work quite well. However, IMHO, they are made for "carrying straps", not "shooting slings". I like them, as they are very quick to remove the sling.

Will
.333 member

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Kansas
Re: Barrel Bands [Re: Jeffeosso]
      #6964 - 15/01/04 01:37 AM

Jeff,

You are probably right about the short forends being the reason for the barrel band.

They look cool too. I have never had a stock mounted one hit my fingers, which I think is an old wives tale.

I really like the short forends, as the more typical version is just a waste of wood (or plastic) and unnecessary weight.

--------------------

Once you have been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
Re: Barrel Bands [Re: Will]
      #7602 - 28/01/04 02:45 PM

Jeffe nailed it, they are for 7/8" carry slings and allow a low carry for bushveld use....I cannot imagine an instance where a sling is necessary for African hunting or any other kind of hunting IMO...

I used a shooting sling some, early on, but I have not used a sling for shooting for many years and I have never missed them. on a rare ocassion I will use one for carrying a rifle, very rare ocassion come to think of it, in fact I can't recall the last time I used one....

I think it was Saeed or Walter last year in Tanzania, who called my attention to the fact that my rifle had a barrel band swivel and no rear swivel in the stock.... I had been shooting that gun for 10 years...That bothered me so I installed a swivel in it when this post came up, now it is fixed....

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Barrel Bands [Re: atkinson6]
      #7604 - 28/01/04 03:00 PM

Wouldn't a barrel band change the barrel harmonics and thus effect the accuracy? The soldered on type would also but maybe to a lesser extent?

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #7606 - 28/01/04 03:05 PM

In reply to:

I cannot imagine an instance where a sling is necessary for African hunting or any other kind of hunting IMO...

Sounds to me like you're either hunting short distances in piss easy country, or someone else is carrying your rifle for you, or all of those.

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
      #7620 - 28/01/04 05:09 PM

Ray,

Try dragging your mule deer several miles across these mountains in N. NV without a sling. Oh, I forgot... You Texas hunters use tower trucks and never leave the road.

I think you are just getting spoiled by your rich clients.

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
Re: Barrel Bands [Re: luv2safari]
      #7665 - 29/01/04 05:39 AM

Luv??,
The ranch I was raised on in West Texas was 100,000 acres of rimrock country just like Nevada and Idaho isn't all that flat you know....sorry, but you missed that shot old boy.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2944

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com