Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: BEST BIG BORE QD SCOPE MOUNTS??

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
BEST BIG BORE QD SCOPE MOUNTS??
      #75556 - 04/04/07 10:07 PM

I am looking to scope a big bore bolt with quick detach mounts.Ideally I would like just ONE LEVER to attach and detach the scope.Is this possible with any current product out there?

Why?
Ideally I would like 2 guns available while tracking game on safari.The big bolt can be carried by someone else sans scope while I carry my Double. If a longer shot presents itself the scope can then be attached.Out to 150 yds the accuracy with the qd scope should be reproducible.

I did a search with no answers revealed.I have several bolts with qd attachments but all require movement of two levers/devices.

Any suggestions??

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
foxfire
.375 member

Reged: 25/11/04
Loc: Long Island N.Y.,
Re: BEST BIG BORE QD SCOPE MOUNTS?? [Re: hoppdoc]
      #75559 - 04/04/07 11:08 PM

hoppdoc,
When I bought my Krieghoff the 470 set of barrels came with a factory installed pivot mount. One lever flips down and the scope swings off. The system seems to work well. the gun goes back to zero all the time. How it works in the field remains to be seen.

--------------------
No good deed goes unpunished

Savuti_One_Shot
.300 member

Reged: 24/01/07
Loc: Florida
Re: BEST BIG BORE QD SCOPE MOUNTS?? [Re: foxfire]
      #75561 - 04/04/07 11:47 PM

You could go with the classic euro claw mount. Just subtract the cost of one buffalo from your hunting budget.

SOS

--------------------
"I've this damned cannon." - Robert Wilson

zimhunter
.333 member

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Southern Arizona
      #75581 - 05/04/07 02:48 AM

The new Leupold quick release is a one lever mount but don't know what actions they are currently avialable for. They appear to be a top mount.

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: BEST BIG BORE QD SCOPE MOUNTS?? [Re: zimhunter]
      #75627 - 05/04/07 10:41 AM

The claw mount is your answer. It's been the answer for over 100 years.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

André
.333 member

Reged: 28/06/04
Loc: Brussels (Belgium)
Re: BEST BIG BORE QD SCOPE MOUNTS?? [Re: CptCurl]
      #75666 - 05/04/07 07:02 PM

Another vote for the Sühler claw mount :

--------------------
André
---------------------------------
3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

allenday
.333 member

Reged: 18/04/04
      #75696 - 06/04/07 02:59 AM

What's the big deal about just one lever, anyway?

Quite honestly, I think the significance of that point is neither here nor there.

Until recently, I considered Tom. Burgess' custom two-lever detachable mounts to be the world's best.

But now, custom riflesmith Joseph Smithson has developed what are likely the finest detachable scopemounts ever created anywhere. They are produced and offered by Ted Blackburn, and you can do no better that to invest in a set of these superb mounts.

www.blackburnmachine.com

AD

AzGuy
.333 member

Reged: 23/03/06
Loc: Prescott, Arizona, USA
Re: BEST BIG BORE QD SCOPE MOUNTS?? [Re: allenday]
      #75700 - 06/04/07 03:39 AM

AD,

Thanks for the website link, however they don't do a very good job of showing and/or explaining what makes their QD mounts/rings so special. How do they work and what about them makes you such a big fan? Thanks, Jeff

AzGuy
.333 member

Reged: 23/03/06
Loc: Prescott, Arizona, USA
      #75717 - 06/04/07 09:26 AM

Quote:

Ideally I would like 2 guns available while tracking game on safari.The big bolt can be carried by someone else sans scope while I carry my Double. If a longer shot presents itself the scope can then be attached.

hoppdoc,

Wouldn't you be better off having the bolt gun carried with the QD scope ON? That way you could take the longer shot ASAP. IMO, the only reason to take the scope off the bolt gun is if the DR goes tits up.

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #75957 - 09/04/07 01:40 AM

I have to admit to being thoroughly confused. Are you talking about tracking wounded game? The only unwounded game I have any experience with tracking in Africa were elephant and rhino and you don't have to worry about long range shots on either of them. If you're talking about wounded dangerous game, in my experience you will have no opportunity to do any rifle swapping, unless you're trying to stop something from getting away at long range, in which case you will want the scope already attached.

My rifle for tracking dangerous wounded game has been my .505 with Lyman 48 receiver sight. Can't be beat for snap shooting, in my opinion. My Krieghoff .458 has open sights and a Lyman 2 1/2X All American in claw mounts. Were I to use it again, I would probably exchange the scope for a 1.5-5X Leupold, like the one I will be using on my .500 NE Krieghoff now under construction, using a AKAH Schwenkmontage described above, which pivots around the front base after the catch on the rear base is released.

My .450 Watts on a pre-'64 Model 70 has a 2 1/2X Lyman Alaskan scope in a Griffin & Howe double lever side mount and a back up Lyman 48 receiver sight. I have never had a need to use the receiver sight.

My .577 is fitted with a 2 1/2X Noske, a hand made scope built in the '30's with 4-6" eye relief, for obvious reasons. It has a large tapered post reticle and is easily as fast as any kind of open sights in "catching aim".

Bwana
.224 member

Reged: 07/03/05
Loc: Monroe, Michigan
      #75998 - 09/04/07 11:13 AM

Hopdoc:

I have the leupold quick-detachable mounts on my .375 H&H. Very simple on and off. I have taken it to Africa many times and the scope (Leupold LPS) always remains dead-on time after time with no adjustments necessary either here or there. Definitely my choice.

Bwana

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: BEST BIG BORE QD SCOPE MOUNTS?? [Re: Bwana]
      #76000 - 09/04/07 11:38 AM

My experience with others carrying my rifles then me shooting the rifles has generally been poor. Missed a big elk and a whitetail cause of a zero shift when others had shot or brought the rifle to me.Easily one half the time the zero of the rifle changed substantially when the scope was left on the rifle.This is unacceptable on DG.

I would rather carry the scope myself and quickly attach it than have a gunbearer hold it, have it change zero and me screw up the shot. Then I have a wounded Buff/Ele and everyone in danger.Better to attach the scope when the game is in scope range than have the scope banged around by gunbearer or vehicle, etc.I would obviously swap the Double for the bolt when the scope goes on

That is my logic.Whether it would actually work in Africa remains to be seen

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Edited by hoppdoc (09/04/07 11:40 AM)

Otto
.300 member

Reged: 15/09/05
Loc: Arizona, USA
      #76021 - 09/04/07 11:10 PM

Here's an unmentioned consideration...stock fit. Most understand that shotguns "aim" with stock fit. If you're wanting max speed for snap shooting, stock fit is equally important for a rifle. The ideal is to have the same line of sight for both scope and irons to achieve the same fit when using either. To this end, the scope needs to be low, low...and the irons a bit high to have identical stock fit with either. Most doubles come closest to this ideal with claw mounts. For me, heavy bolt rifles need a super low side mount and an island mounted open set of irons. When you can shoulder your rifle and have the irons align perfectly, then mount the scope, shoulder the rifle and have the scope align perfectly, you've achieved nervana. My 505 has a side mounted G&H solid ring mount with base tig welded to the receiver. The Lyman 2 1/2X Alaskan, a 7/8" tube scope, has identical line of sight to the island mounted NECG irons. The smaller diameter scope without objective bell gets the scope as low as possible.
Otto

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3174

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com