Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Mozambique - a forgotten hunting ground?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Mozambique - a forgotten hunting ground?
      #7505 - 26/01/04 11:00 PM

I'm intrigued by Mozambique.

It once produced huge tuskers and was once one of the key places to take a top trophy - correct me if I'm wrong. Huge herds of buffalo, lion, multitudes of plains game. Crocodiles galore.

Hunters such as Harry Manners professional hunted there and took many elephant and buffalo.

Then decades of civil war, first revolution against the Portuguese, then, as usual, black on black. With war came natural disasters such as flood and drought. Reports were the game was slaughtered wholesale and nothing was left.

But from reports there is still good hunting territory there and good safaris can still be had. But it doesn't seem to get much "press" and publicity. Any reasons for this? I know a lot of locals hunt there and even more holiday on the coast, on beach holidays and fishing trips.

What is the food like, is there still an element of the old Mozambique culinary combination of Macau, Africa, Goa and Portugal?

On the hunting anyone who can provide more info - prices, game available, quality of game, any specific species that can only be hunted there, hunting conditions and anything else would be much appreciated.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
470Nitro
.333 member

Reged: 17/09/03
Loc: Madrid - Spain
Re: Mozambique - a forgotten hunting ground? [Re: NitroX]
      #7512 - 27/01/04 01:47 AM

Now, from Europe, outfitters are begginin to send hunters to Mozambique, but with too much care. The camps are still poor and the hunting is not safe. A couple of years ago one car was blow out for an old mine, a hunter, the boys and a PH died.
Last year was hunted there a 100 pounder elephant and there're big buffalos there. You can hunt in Mozambique same than Tanzania, and as interesting species they have the Suni, the small Red Duiker or the Chobe Bushbuck.
If you want to know any prices I can email to you.

--------------------
-----
down by the river on a friday night
pyramid of cans in the pale moonlight
talkin' 'bout guns and dreamin 'bout women
never had a plan just a livin' for the minute

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
Re: Mozambique - a forgotten hunting ground? [Re: 470Nitro]
      #7516 - 27/01/04 03:56 AM

I have an outfitter who has pulled back out of there. He says that the Potugese concession owners are impossible to deal with, the terrain is tough hunting, the camps are sub-par, it is a bit too dangerous to be worth while, and the fees to high for what is offered.

These are his assessments, not mine. I have as yet not been there.

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
Re: Mozambique - a forgotten hunting ground? [Re: luv2safari]
      #7523 - 27/01/04 05:35 AM

Mozambique is a mixture of good and bad. Its a cheaper option than most other African hunting destinations. we can offer a Buff package for around US$9K, but like African hunting everywhere prices are going up steadily.It's far tougher hunting than places like Tanzania or Botswana. So you need to be fit. Terrain in the Zambezi Valley is much more challenging, bush tends to be a lot thicker which makes it even more exciting if you have to go and pull something big and pissed off out of the thick stuff and boy, if you go at the wrong time of the year is it hot!!..... it's not unusual to have up to 6 guys along with you just to carry the water..... The Valley is also one of THE places to go for MONSTER flatdogs....but I wouldn't recommend eating their meat as you never know who they have eaten!

The Zambezi delta can offer some good hunting if you don't mind getting your ass wet from time to time. If you do hunt in Mozambique it's a good idea to have a proper bilharzia check when you go home as the disease is very common here, you should also know that the hunting areas are stiff (and boy, do I mean stiff!) with tsetse flies in the day and mosquitos at night, so take plenty of repellant ....wherever you go in Mozambique you should only consider it as a DG destination.... plains game hunts there are a waste of time and money.

Having said all that don't be put off, if you go at the right time of year to the right area you'll have a great hunt. I reckon it's still one of the best places for Elephant hunting if you're prepared to work for your trophy..... there's also lot's more chances of taking a crop raider than other places in Africa...... hence cheap Elephant hunting.

The down side is that the entire country is no-where near as organised as most of the other destinations. Poaching can also be more of a problem than Tanzania or Botswana etc and recent refugees from Zim haven't made this situation any better and as someone has already said, camps are not generally as comfortable... but let's face it guys, that's why the hunting is cheaper. If the client has a good hunting area and understands the comfort level is lower then it should be no problem.

Most clients who book our Mozambican areas tend to be ordinary working joe's looking for a less expensive start to hunting DG, and those that can afford to go elsewhere tend to book Tanzania or Botswana..... one thing that is VERY important here is to be ultra cautious who you book with and which area you book as there are a lot of dodgy people offering hunting they don't have.

For those of you who (like me) like to fish or are silly enough to get your kicks out of putting your head underwater and trying to breath then Mozambique also offers some of the finest fishing and diving to be found anywhere in Africa. The beaches are to die for and despite the poverty there, the people don't give you any hassle at all.

All in All, although it's not the best country or the easiest country to hunt in, it's a reasonably good and inexpensive option for someone who wants a first DG hunt and isn't afraid to get hot, dirty and footsore.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Edited by shakari (27/01/04 05:46 AM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Mozambique - a forgotten hunting ground? [Re: shakari]
      #7526 - 27/01/04 09:56 AM

Steve

You mention camps are more basic. Can you detail what you can expect from a camp there?

Also do you charter fly clients in or go by road?

Thirdly what roughly is the area(s) you hunt there?

Thanks.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NONE
.300 member

Reged: 15/12/03
      #7527 - 27/01/04 10:07 AM

Steve,

What is the true political situation on the ground in Mozambique in these modern times? Do you feel safe recommending it to clients on the sole basis of security?

I would hunt Mozambique without reservation if it was the only place to hunt DG or regularly recorded better then average trophies but unless the situation has changed in the country from what I have heard and read over the years Tanzania and others are still open for hunting and sound good to me.

James F. Nixon III

shakari
.400 member

#7542 - 27/01/04 04:01 PM

NitroX,

Camps are typically grass hunts rather than safari tents and are not en-suite..... they tend instead to have an ablution block in the middle of the camp...... and until a year or two ago it wasn't unusual not to have a door on your hut. This obviously made it very easy for a Lion etc to wander in and say hi!......although doors are now becoming more popular.

I'm not really sure of the concession size, but our Tanzanian concessions are each around 2250 square kilometres, so I would guesstimate the Mozambican area to be less than half that.... The concessions in the valley tend to be long and thin rather than square (ish) for the obvious reason. As I said previously, things are not so organised as other African countries and it occasionally happens that the same area gets leased to two different companies by accident and you only realise this when two hunting trucks bump into each other and say what the hell are you doing on my hunting area?

We usually charter in, but it is possible to drive in via the Zambezi escarpment, but it it a very long haul over dreadful roads and if you have the windows open the tsetse flies have a ball!..... Of the two options I'd recommend the charter every time.

NONE: Trophy quality of Buff is certainly no better than anywhere else and nowadays (despite the BS you often read on websites etc) any Buff over 40 inches anywhere in Africa is unusual..... Boddington also confirms this in his book "The Safari Experience" Of course when compared to TZ etc there are FAR fewer head of them.... You'll see more in a day in the Selous than in a week in Mozambique. There are some really good Elephant in Mozambique, but not many. Most Elephants that are shot there probably average around 30-40 Lbs a side. So don't think that the 100 pounder that was shot last year is an an average.

Politically, it's now pretty safe, especially in the rural areas where if you asked the locals how they vote they would probably ask what's a vote, do I eat it, drink it, or sleep with it?...... poverty is still a big problem in these remote areas & it's one of the few places in Africa left where you can still sometimes see the locals wearing animal skins to cover themselves.......They actually live in the Valley which of course means that they have to subsistance poach to live. Selous for example doesn't allow human habitation in their boundaries, which is why the game populations are so much better than in Mozambique.

Security: Is not a problem. The locals are very poor, but theft and robbery is unusual. The landmine situation is confused, but due to the floods of a few years ago most got swept down to the delta or probably beyond and in the time I've been hunting there, (since the late 90s) I've only heard of one guy stepping on one.

As I said Mozambique is a good option if money is tight and you don't mind working hard for your trophies, but if you can afford the extra money then Tanzania or Botswana is a miles better option and of the two if you just want a Buff and plains game hunt I'd personally opt for the Selous Reserve Tanzania every time. The only species that has a lowish success rate in TZ is Elephant, but only because they have such strict rules governing tusk size.

The biggest Buff trophies I've seen anywhere are in Masailand Tanzania and even in the areas I use in the Selous I've seen the odd one up to 46 or 47..... sadly the client was a little too slow to get a shot at the biggest one, but that's the way it goes

We don't publish our Mozambican prices on our website as we limit the site to out 3 most popular countries, but if anyone is interested in more detail than I've given here please feel free to send me an e-mail. Prices and descriptions etc for RSA, Tanzania and Botswana can be found on the site......and I still have a few vacancies for 2004.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Edited by shakari (27/01/04 04:22 PM)

470Nitro
.333 member

Reged: 17/09/03
Loc: Madrid - Spain
      #7559 - 27/01/04 09:26 PM

En respuesta a:

Trophy quality of Buff is certainly no better than anywhere else and nowadays (despite the BS you often read on websites etc) any Buff over 40 inches anywhere in Africa is unusual

That's right, but don't forget about remote areas in Mozambique where is still (but hard) possible to find +40" buffs and big elephants. A few spanish hunters are going every year and they're bringing big trophies. Even in Botswana is not easy to get a +40" buffalo, but you'll pay a lot for it.

En respuesta a:

The biggest Buff trophies I've seen anywhere are in Masailand Tanzania and even in the areas I use in the Selous I've seen the odd one up to 46 or 47.....

Last year, a friend of mine took a 50" buff in the Selous, near Madaba river, I'll send you a picture asap

I also prefer to hunt in Tanzania

--------------------
-----
down by the river on a friday night
pyramid of cans in the pale moonlight
talkin' 'bout guns and dreamin 'bout women
never had a plan just a livin' for the minute

shakari
.400 member

Re: Mozambique - a forgotten hunting ground? [Re: 470Nitro]
      #7568 - 28/01/04 05:29 AM

I would have loved to have seen the place around the time that Nyschens wrote "Months of the Sun"...... it must have been a paradise. But I wouldn't like to have been there in the Summer. The latest I've hunted the Zambezi Valley was (some years ago) in late October and I nearly died..... that's not a neat turn of phrase. I found myself one day suddenly suffering from a mixture of heat exhaustion and dehydration and a 2 or three hour walk back to the truck..... not much water and only a tracker for company. I got back eventually but it was the last time I ever waited until I was thirsty before taking a drink..... if you wait until then, you're already getting dehydrated.....add heat exhaustion and running after Buffalo all day in temperatures in the the 40s into the equation and it can get serious very quickly!..... If I'd had a client with me, we would have taken it a lot easier.... but I was alone, and I REALLY wanted that big ol' Buffalo on my wall!

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

shakari
.400 member

#7586 - 28/01/04 11:05 AM

For those of you who find this story coarse, I apologise in advance, but I've gotta tell you anyway.

On my first ever hunt with clients in Mozambique, on the first evening of the safari we were sitting in the dining area and being served (silently) by a very impressive black waiter. He was dressed in a nice white safari suit & gloves with a bright red sash and fez and he performed flawlessly. At the end of the meal the camp manager asked if anyone would like some cheese and biscuits..... the client replied yes that would be nice, what cheese do you have?

The waiter drew himself up to his full height, cleared his throat and utterd his first words of the evening..... he said "Sah, we have blu chiz, we have yelloh chiz and we have kok chiz"........ damn I nearly fell off my chair laughing!

That was the only time we saw the suit... the rest of the time he wore a bloody old T shirt and shorts.....

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Will
.333 member

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Kansas
      #7628 - 28/01/04 06:44 PM

Call me dense, but I don't get it.

And one cannot import ivory from Moz into the US. And from I have seen the ele hunts in Moz are more expensive, not cheap.

--------------------

Once you have been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

shakari
.400 member

Re: Mozambique - a forgotten hunting ground? [Re: Will]
      #7652 - 29/01/04 04:17 AM

Will, I'll send you an e-mail to explain it.

Don't know why you can't import Mozambican ivory into the US. We have no problem sending it to the UK or indeed out of Mozambique to RSA for taxidermy and then onto the US from there.

Do fish & Wildlife have a problem with the CITES licences? If so, I guess we have just been lucky...... I'll see what I can find out.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

holland465
.275 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: California
      #7690 - 29/01/04 08:53 AM

Outstanding story! I love it.

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
Re: Mozambique - a forgotten hunting ground? [Re: holland465]
      #7695 - 29/01/04 09:01 AM

I can book anyone a hunt with Johan Calitz in Mozambique and its not any different than Tanzania as far as I can tell, the camps are the same as his Botswana camps....

shakari
.400 member

Re: Mozambique - a forgotten hunting ground? [Re: atkinson6]
      #7703 - 29/01/04 10:05 AM

Well, I'm glad someone appreciated the story.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#7734 - 29/01/04 02:43 PM

Shakari

I did laugh at your story, especially the punchline "kok chiz", but what was he trying to say? I have gone through the cheese possibilities of what "kok" rhymes with in relation to cheeses and ... ?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

shakari
.400 member

#7745 - 29/01/04 03:51 PM

Maybe, it's just an English expression.......cock cheese......as in lack of mens "personal" hygene.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
      #7753 - 29/01/04 05:05 PM

Probably "goat chiz". They don't have the best hygiene either, or so says ....'s wife.

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Mozambique - a forgotten hunting ground? [Re: luv2safari]
      #7758 - 29/01/04 07:11 PM

Shakari

My dirty mind understood that one.

What I didn't understand was what type of real cheese he was referring to. Goat and "kok" is somewhat different but perhaps.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Will
.333 member

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Kansas
      #7764 - 29/01/04 11:27 PM

I thought it was sheep in Australia?

--------------------

Once you have been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Mozambique Photos [Re: NitroX]
      #13404 - 13/04/04 02:33 AM

Received these photos from a hunter resident in Mozambique for posting on NE.com.

"River"

"Bushbuck"

"Sable"

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Mozambique Photos [Re: NitroX]
      #13405 - 13/04/04 02:39 AM

Cape Buffalo

"Buff herd"

"Cape Buffalo"

"Cape Buffalo"

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#13406 - 13/04/04 02:46 AM

"Accomodation"

"Map of Mozambique hunting areas"

Cliclk here - to view full sized map.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Gibbs505
.333 member

Reged: 09/08/03
Loc: BC, Canada
      #13427 - 13/04/04 12:19 PM

I like the look of those buffalo. Would like to try my 505 on them!!

--------------------
So I can't spell, so what?

Those who beat their swords into ploughshares, will plough for those who don't!

Those who fail to learn from history will be doomed to repeat it

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
      #13433 - 13/04/04 12:41 PM

I just got this months N.R.A hunting magazine, and there's an article on hunting in Mozambique. The author and his wife hunted for 7 days 2x1 and each took a Cape Buffalo along with other plains game species. The author says it was a tough hunt-lots of blisters, biting insects and lots of chest deep water in the area they hunted.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 21495

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com