Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Cost of a bear hunt..?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Cost of a bear hunt..?
      #74823 - 28/03/07 01:17 PM

I haven't ever hunted bear, and I'm interested in correcting this some time in the next year or two.

What kind of money am I looking at for a succesful hunt and processing of the meat and hide? I'd like a full rug for one of my fireplaces...

--Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
Re: Cost of a bear hunt..? [Re: tinker]
      #74840 - 28/03/07 04:47 PM

What kind of bear? Black, Grizzly or Brown? I know for a fact that a if you get a good black bear that's been into berries or other fruit, it's good eating. It also depends on the time of year, Spring or Fall hunt. I know that if a bear has been into carrion, it ain't fit to smell let alone eat. Why don't you contact Ann at AspenHill as she has some bear hunting opportunities available. I know of a few guys who've hunted Grizzly and/or Brown and they tell me that those big critters are definitely not fit to eat. Of course, there are some who'll tell me that it's a waste of meat but if you can't get past the smell, how're you going to try to eat it?

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

Edited by 475Guy (28/03/07 04:48 PM)

Badger_Matt
.224 member

Reged: 29/10/06
Loc: Simpsonville, SC
Re: Cost of a bear hunt..? [Re: 475Guy]
      #74851 - 28/03/07 08:28 PM

If you're fit and have a bit of experience you can do a do-it-yourself spot-n-stalk Fall black bear hunt in AK for about $1500 total (airfare, tags, rental car, food). In September, on the Kenai Peninsula, they are munching blueberries above treeline and easy to spot...just hard to climb to...

Raff
.300 member

Reged: 12/01/04
Loc: Texas
      #74873 - 29/03/07 01:45 AM

Tinker;
You can do a guided, over bait, week in Idaho for
about $1700 or so. Success rate is about 100%. Black
bears cost about $1000 to mount into a rug, maybe a bit
more. Meat processed locally is about $1.00 a lb. for
sausage if you take in clean quarters, no fat. Good eating
as there are no wild onions or carrion around there. The
wolves havn't chased all the bears away, yet. PM me if
you want more.
Good Luck
Raff

--------------------

tinker
.416 member

Re: Cost of a bear hunt..? [Re: Raff]
      #74938 - 29/03/07 10:44 AM

475Guy-

Yes, that's part of the question -- Brown, Black, or Grizzly.
As I haven't hunted bear yet, I'm all ears here.
I have a sense each hunt will have unique challenges and opportunities. I'm interested in hearing all I can on the topic.

I think I recall AspenHill mention something recently, and I think she'd said it was for something rather soon.
I need to plan ahead, work's amazingly busy and I have another child on the way (got a boy coming this time!)

BadgerMatt-

You got more information on hunting on the Kenai Peninsula?
Sounds interesting.

Raff-

From what you're saying, it looks like three and a half grand or so would get a guy out on a guided Idaho hunt and back home with a rug.
Doesn't sound so out of reach.

--Tinker

--------------------

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
      #74962 - 29/03/07 03:43 PM

If you look at her post, you'll find that she's got it down for future hunts too. Blacks can be hunted even here in Cal but you really got to work for a great one. If you're willing to go way out of state, Idaho and Maine seem to have the biggest Blacks in the lower 48. Griz and Brown hunts are very, very expensive with no guarantees you'll see anything shootable especially in Alaska. Griz hunts seem to be much cheaper in Canada with shootable ones when you glass for them. An African hunt is cheaper than an Alaskan Brown hunt so that gives you a general idea of the Pesos you need to come up with.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

Badger_Matt
.224 member

Re: Cost of a bear hunt..? [Re: 475Guy]
      #74972 - 29/03/07 07:45 PM

Here's what I'd do (7-16 Sept):
- Round trip air from Oakland to Anchorage ($450)
- SUV rental ($300)
- Food, beverages, gas, etc... ($500, includes downpayment with Fur-n-Feather taxidermist for rug)
- License/Tag ($300'ish)

You'd arrive in Anchorage, get the rental car, hit a store for food and another for your license/tag...and head to the Kenai Peninsula. There are several places to set up camp and even more spots to find bears. The bears can be active, and visible, all day but early mornings and late afternoons are best. Find a spot to glass from (often the road itself) and look above treeline where you see reddish bushes (those are ripe blueberry bushes) and then scan for what looks like a big shiny black VW bug...plan a route that keeps you downwind (good luck in the swirling winds) and get to climbing... Plan on a stalk a day, sometimes two, and shots anywhere from 50yds to 300yds.

If you decide you're serious about this option, buy yourself a copy of the Alaska Gazeteer and I'll give you some specific spots to camp and glass from...

ovis
.300 member

Reged: 26/01/03
Loc: Homer, Alaska
Re: Cost of a bear hunt..? [Re: Badger_Matt]
      #74997 - 30/03/07 03:57 AM

No offense to Badger Matt, but the Kenai Pen. hunt is a "get what you pay for and get what you put in it hunt.".......while the area is very big, it's no longer a "secret" and what can you expect with the area starting 50 or so miles from THE major population center of Alaska; Anchorage....lots of small bears show themselves on the hillsides.......big bears don't get that way by being stupid.......if you don't mind lots of people, stalks ruined by some rude, inconsiderate ridgeblasters, and multiple "hunters" racing to the same bear, then it's worth the cash.....get into the backcountry, away from the highway on the Kenai P., and the bear hunting can be amazing and you'll probably have the place you choose to yourself......jmo, but you can do better almost anywhere else.

Joe

--------------------
"Where there's a hobble, there's hope."

Badger_Matt
.224 member

Re: Cost of a bear hunt..? [Re: ovis]
      #75238 - 01/04/07 11:24 PM

No offense taken Joe. I've not run into the "race to the bears" folks, but have seen other hunters and not stalked a bear when others appeared to be glassing him first. The majority of bears I've seen were sub-six-footers...including some doily bears...but I've also seen a few seven-footers. Just hiking over one ridge, or up a backpacking trail a mile or two leaves almsot every other hunter behind you.

I also recommend hunting during the week when there aren't s many hunters out and about.

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
Re: Cost of a bear hunt..? [Re: Badger_Matt]
      #75282 - 02/04/07 02:45 AM

Tinker,

A bear hunt can vary greatly in cost as you have seen. Generally, the most reasonably priced black bear hunts are in eastern Canada and your chances of killing a large bear are very good, if you wait and take your time picking a big boar out. Most people end up shooting the first bear they see, nothing wrong with that, a bear is a bear, so-to-speak.

Manitoba used to be quite nicely priced but now are pricey, due to the popularity. My lowest percentage of "successful" bear hunts also has been in Manitoba.

I am trying a new place out in Quebec in late June. You are welcome to come along, it has reportedly not been hunted for bears in the past. I guess I will find out! Fishing is supposed to be good too, from walleye, bass, trout on up to sturgeon.

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

tinker
.416 member

Re: Cost of a bear hunt..? [Re: AspenHill]
      #75288 - 02/04/07 03:40 AM

Ann-

Thanks for the note.

As much as I'd love to get out sooner than later, I have a child on the way, expected delivery date is right there in late June.

I'll keep an ear up to hear how your time out in Quebec was.
The travel, time away, and adventure of it all are definitely part of what I'm factoring in a bear hunt.
Also, this will be my first 'trophy' motivated hunt. Naturally I'll want the meat and to use as much of the animal as possible, but I'm also after a good pelt from the experience.

I think it'll do the kids good to have a rug in the house that'll give them a good spook from time to time.

--Tinker

--------------------

Raff
.300 member

Reged: 12/01/04
Loc: Texas
      #75294 - 02/04/07 04:36 AM

Ann;
Please remember to post a report on your Quebec Bear
hunt. I have never hunted up there, or that far East. I for
one would like to hear all the details of your hunt.
TIA & Good Hunting
Raff

--------------------

AspenHill
Sponsor

Re: Cost of a bear hunt..? [Re: Raff]
      #75340 - 02/04/07 07:02 AM

I'll definitly post a story, I am excited as one of the good things about bear hunting is, you don't have to get up early, unless you want to. There is usually fishing to be done in the morning until mid day then off to your stand by 15 or 1600 until dark.

--------------------
~Ann

Aspen Hill Adventures

venado
.224 member

Reged: 28/03/05
Loc: So. Cal
      #77254 - 23/04/07 01:00 PM

You should start with black bear. CA has some really great bears. I would suggest a hunt with a houndsman for the first one. i imagine you will be in the range of $1,500. on a guaranteed hunt. Hunting over hounds is a fun experience and you have plenty of opportunity to learn. my first bear we took to the scales and was 483 dressed. His hide was 7'7". I have also shot a 7' bear with the same guide, Pete Smith of Redding. If you are interested, email me and I will get in touch with him.

I hunted interior grizz with R & R Guide Service. We hunted the Alaska Range last May, It was a tough hunt on snowshoes, climbing ice & snow covered mountains. It was beautiful to camp in the snow. Be ready for the physical end of it. Price is around $11,000 + flight & lic.

For coastal grizz, there are many guides. Expect $16,000 + flight & license. Email me if you want more information on any of these.

By the way, once you know how to find bears, try calling them. On my first try I called 5 bear in 2 1/2 days. With a trapper's info, I went and found the bears. I called and killed my in less then 2 minutes on the first stand. I can't say much for my friend's shooting. He should have had his on the second stand...and that was not his last miss. Take advantage of what CA has to offer and their Big bears.

Venado

bwananelson
.400 member

Reged: 08/10/07
Loc: DELTONA FLORIDA
Re: Cost of a bear hunt..? [Re: venado]
      #87051 - 13/10/07 07:53 AM

I HAVE HUNTED BOTH BLACKS FIRST IN BRITISH COLUMBIA WHEN ALL WAS SAID AND DONE 6-7 GRAND THATS TOTAL AIR ,TWO LIFE SIZE MOUNTS GUIDES CAR,,ONE WAS A CHOCOLATE 6.5 FOOTER AND A NEAR BOONER AT 7 FOOT,RETURNED THE NEXT YEAR FOR GRIZZLY AND GOT A NICE 9 FOOTER TOTAL FOR SAME NEAR 20,000 US DOLLARS,BUT WHEN IT WAS DONE BY DAY 5 SAW 11 GRIZZLIES ,ON THE BLACKIE HUNT TOOK DAILY NOTES AND TALLY TOTALED 80 SIGHTED.........I HAVE TRIED THE BUCKET WATCHING NEVER AGAIN,YOU HAVE TO SPOT AND STALK ONLY WAY TO GO.......GOOD LUCK ON WHICH EVER WAY YOU .GO BEWARE THOUGH THEY ARE HARD TO FIELD JUDGE LIKE WILD BOAR

--------------------
THERE ARE NO DO OVERS IN LIFE DONT LET A CHANCE AT A DREAM SLIP AWAY.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Cost of a bear hunt..? [Re: bwananelson]
      #87056 - 13/10/07 11:32 AM

Spring is the best time for a bear hunt in B.C., in my opinion. Due to feed sources being easy to find, the bears are concentrated more than in the free roaming types found in the fall.
: I just came out of the bush after a 10 day camp-protection duty. We saw 5 different grizzlies in the 8 to 9 foot range, even though fall is not the best time for them.
; Bears are very difficult to judge in the bush. Many small 3 and 4 year old black bears are shot 'for large ones' by people hunting on their own. Instead of a good 6 to 7 foot bear, they find they've shot what we call a big 2 footer.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

bwananelson
.400 member

Reged: 08/10/07
Loc: DELTONA FLORIDA
      #87186 - 15/10/07 11:14 PM

must be a great job daryl,and yes both hunts took place in the spring based out of mcbride what a great area for bear,i would like to return soometime to chase goats if i could get by big butt up those mountains i will have to recondition myself for that one.

--------------------
THERE ARE NO DO OVERS IN LIFE DONT LET A CHANCE AT A DREAM SLIP AWAY.

AspenHill
Sponsor

Re: Cost of a bear hunt..? [Re: bwananelson]
      #87196 - 16/10/07 12:06 AM

2008 Spring Bear

Quebec, Canada - James Bay gateway

$1100 US plus license, rifle or archery, baited stand hunting. Self catering for food, paved route all the way to camp. Good fishing in the morning, walley, northern pike and sturgeon.

Hunt occurs mid May through June.

I took a very nice bear there the last week of June. You'd have to be dancing the jig in your stand to not get a bear. Bears average 250 pounds in size.

--------------------
~Ann

Aspen Hill Adventures

Nakihunter
.375 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: New Zealand
      #87245 - 16/10/07 09:08 PM

My first visit to N.America last month on business & I squeezed in a 6 evening / 5 day deer + bear hunt in BC. A fantastic trip. Shot a small mulie. On the last evening I got a 6 ft 400 lbs bear with black paws changingg to dark brown with light under fun on the hump. Shot it at 306 yds. Cost $3750 plus licence & tags. Single species is $2800 I think. Very reliable & honest outfitter - www.tinmusket.com. Very thrilled. My next bear hunt will be in spring for colour phased bears.

--------------------
Always shoot through the target & not just at it.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3737

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com