Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: .425 WR Action Question

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
iwantadouble
.300 member

Reged: 06/06/05
Loc: Gallatin County, Montana
.425 WR Action Question
      #73947 - 15/03/07 11:18 PM

While I haven't been around here in quite a long time, my dream of owning a double still lives on. To the point that in the search of something I would buy finally happened at just the right time where I had accumulated the finances to step up to the plate. Unfortunately, I was too slow on the uptake and last Monday when I had contacted the person selling the Rigby I was interested in I was too late and someone else put a deposit on it. So goes life and no use crying over spilled milk.
So I went shooting Saturday afternoon at my local range, and ran into the Westley Richards inventory being shot at the bench next to me. During a cease fire, I asked Kevin if they had any Nitro hammerguns, and the one they have (but not listed at present) seemed to be a little bit bigger than I want to own and shoot on a regular basis. A .577 is just not my cup of tea for shooting beer bottles off fence posts on a regular basis.
While having a discussion with Kevin's father, I noticed Kevin had pulled out a rifle that had been interesting me for a while. They were kind enough to let me shoot this .425, and unless someone goes in and buys it before the end of next week when I can have all my finances sorted out for the rifle, and required supplies like dies, a well stocked brass and bullet selection, I believe I will buy it. I am just curious if anyone can identify the action on it. I am guessing it is a Brevex from my little knowledge regarding the Mauser clones.

I am not positive what it is, but I do know that I like the cartridge, it feeds fine, fits my shoulder perfectly, and would make a dandy elk or bear rifle.

--------------------
500 is a nice round number, either followed by "Nitro Express" or by "cubic inch displacement".

Edited by CptCurl (22/11/10 12:58 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: .425 WR Action Question [Re: iwantadouble]
      #73989 - 16/03/07 10:44 AM

If you keep getting distracted like this, you'll never end up with a double!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #73993 - 16/03/07 11:06 AM

Why not ask WR themselves - they have the records and should know the answer anyway.

Look the same as the one I have seen over here.

Lee440
.224 member

Reged: 06/01/06
Loc: Texas
Re: .425 WR Action Question [Re: 500Nitro]
      #74172 - 20/03/07 02:54 AM

It is a standard 50's vintage FN commercial action. The 425 was developed to use in a standard size action and this looks like the WR "White Hunter" economy model rifle from the 50's-early 60's. It is not a Brevex. It will be a bit pricey to keep fed, but as long as it feeds reliably, its a good gun. Just be sure to cycle it rapidly with some dummies, these use a rebated rim cartridge and are a single stack feed. As a DGR, if it dont feed, its worthless, but WR made mods to make it work.

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: .425 WR Action Question [Re: Lee440]
      #74180 - 20/03/07 05:16 AM

Lee440

Did WR refer to Bolt Actions as "White Hunter" Models
as well as Double Rifles ?

I thought that it referrred to DR's only ?

Happy to be corrected but from my research that is what I have found.

Lee440
.224 member

Reged: 06/01/06
Loc: Texas
Re: .425 WR Action Question [Re: 500Nitro]
      #74191 - 20/03/07 12:22 PM

500, this basic subject came up on the Accurate reloading site about one month ago. One of the participants posted an old magazine ad that showed that particular rifle as the White Hunter model.

500Nitro
.450 member

#74192 - 20/03/07 01:10 PM

Thanks

Very interesting.

I would like to know if anyoneactually verified
it (the magazine article) with Simon Clode.

iwantadouble
.300 member

Reged: 06/06/05
Loc: Gallatin County, Montana
      #74230 - 21/03/07 08:10 AM

Thank you greatly. I was aware this was the "White Hunter" model rifle the moment I saw it, as its stock is very minimalistic in its embelishment (no ebony forend, plain straight grain walnut with minimal figure, no crossbolts), and it features the very minimal finishings. Single post rear sight instead of a multi leaf with standing post was also a dead give away. What I was unaware of was the action itself as a means of getting a general idea of when it was produced.

Knowing that it is in the infamous (for feeding) .425 WR and White Hunter model rifle combination, my main concern with it is reliable function, where after first hand witnessing about 10 or so rounds through it with out failure, I have little fear of this being an issue.

Marrakai, I understand what you are getting at, and to a point, yes you are true. The key to buying this instead of hanging on to my money that is tied up into other investments is that the next time I do come across a double that I appreciate enough to buy (a rarity in itself as I have seen maybe 3 out of 1,000+ that I would purchase, and only 1 being in my price range), I will have more viable bartering material for a partial trade with a cash backing. Most fine gun dealers won't be too keen to taking a coin collection in trade for a rifle, however if an offer of a Westley Richards bolt plus X amount of dollars is put forth on the table for a rifle, the chance of them being keen on the deal will be better. A added bonus is that I get to turn money that is to just be looked at in one form into money that can be looked at and perform a valid action (shooting) into another form while I continue to search for my own personal holy grail. While I do own firearms that will never be sold at any price due to sentimental attatchment, this would never be one of them or considered as such. This would only be considered a stepping stone towards a better rifle at a later date.

--------------------
500 is a nice round number, either followed by "Nitro Express" or by "cubic inch displacement".

AzGuy
.333 member

Reged: 23/03/06
Loc: Prescott, Arizona, USA
      #74231 - 21/03/07 08:42 AM

Iwantadouble,

"Rationalization" is a wonderful thing!!!

Plus, if YOU buy this rifle, you have helped somebody "save" their money for a double. Go ahead and buy it and enjoy it!

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: .425 WR Action Question [Re: AzGuy]
      #74248 - 21/03/07 01:47 PM

iwantadouble:
If it came down to a toss-up between a coin collection and a WR .425 bolt-rifle in my household, the coins are history, man!

Good luck with your new rifle!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

pjaln
.375 member

Reged: 08/06/06
Loc: massachusetts ,U.S.A.
Re: .425 WR Action Question [Re: Marrakai]
      #74414 - 23/03/07 01:55 PM

these particular rifles were made for elephant control,they are a model called [game ranger]they are definetly not as reliable as other westleys with the clips, typical pre war ones ,although i have seen some built on oberndorfs without the clips ,simon clode told me himself if you buy one get it with the clips ,[the clips hold the cartridge in place while loading]
jack lott did an article on these rifles in i think the 84 gun digest read the article before you go any further although it does look like a clean gun and kevin is a good guy.....paul

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 86 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3601

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com