Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 577NE

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
577NE
      #74301 - 22/03/07 08:46 AM

Is the 577NE the new "Holy Grail' of Double Rifles?

I ask this because of some of the prices they seem to be bringing. I see them listed for many thousands of dollars higher than one might normally expect and am just wondering if the combination of rarity, firepower and macho image is what is causing it?

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: 577NE [Re: mickey]
      #74309 - 22/03/07 11:08 AM

mickey

Are you talking about the WR477 SafariKid owns.

I like the gun but yes, I think 577's seem to be
in the Stratosphere level at the moment - rarity
is probably the cause.

dnovo
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/05
Loc: Chicago & SE Wisconsin
      #74310 - 22/03/07 11:09 AM

Define "Holy Grail" please? As a collector's item? As a rifle to be carried and used? As something that is the best available double?

I guess the answer would be that the only higher priced doubles, assuming all other factors are equal (H&H will bring more than an Army/Navy, and a Purdey more than a H&H, condition the same, cased or not, etc) are the 600 or 700 NE and they are even fewer of the former and the latter appeals to a different type of collector. As a rifle to use? I don't own one -- 500NE as big as I go -- but a 577 is about as heavy as I would care to tote around, and I am told that the lighter 577s that are out there are a complete beast to shoot. Since I put 6 rounds through a friend's normal weight 577, I can understand that this load is about all you would want to shoot and a 600 or 700 would be too heavy and too much push on the flat end for most tastes.

If I was looking for a big double purely to collect and shot from time to time, I think I'd stick with a 470 or a 500 in the best possible condition and a 'best gun' if possible. Since the cost of a 577 fitting the same criteria might be double that of a 470 or a 500, I think I'd let someone else grab the Grail in my place. Dave

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: 577NE [Re: dnovo]
      #74312 - 22/03/07 11:31 AM

500 Grains

I guess I am, sort of. Not his in particular but all 577NEs.
I have had 3 different ones over the years. I just sold one for $10,000 more than I would have ever thought it was worth.

In checking on prices for 577s I found a few things. They bring a lot more money than an equivalent 470. They sell in a matter of days, not weeks. The people that are looking for them seem to want to hunt with them.

When I refer to Holy Grail I mean as carry and hunting rifles. I have had 577 that range in weight from 10.5 lbs to 14 pounds. 14 is too heavy, IMO, 10.5 is easy to carry as a 470 but a little more recoil. Not too much during hunting to bother with though.

The one I decided to keep is a 577 2.75 750 Gr load. Weighs 11 pounds with 5500ft.lbs of energy. About ideal if I ever go back to Africa.

Most people think that a 577 is the very top they could shoot and hunt with. If so, why would so many people want them and want to shoot them

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
      #74319 - 22/03/07 12:49 PM

This seems like a relative bargain:

Westley Richards Side by Side 577 3" Nitro Express with 24" Ejector Chopper Lump barrels with a 1/4 rib with one fixed standing rear sight, 12 lbs. 15 oz., 15" LOP over a 1" pad, Proved at 14 tons per square inch, The bores are excellent plus plus and remain like the day it was built. It is tight to the face with plenty of bite remaining and built to a proper 577 weight. $36,000.

es
.224 member

Reged: 04/04/04
Loc: South Texas USA
Re: 577NE [Re: 500grains]
      #74324 - 22/03/07 01:22 PM

Where can you get 577 3" cases? Huntington is out and said that they don't expect any for some time.

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
Re: 577NE [Re: es]
      #74326 - 22/03/07 01:30 PM

Some day I would like to hunt with one. No rush though. That rifle is a pretty nice rifle, but it isn't, imo, a $36k rifle. Note that the bores are just about as new.

I suspect a lot of fellows want own and shoot one but, after buying one, aren't willing to put in the effort to deal with the recoil. A thread about the 450/400 on another site pretty much confirms that most aren't willing to learn to shoot a 450-470 class rifle.

JPK

dnovo
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/05
Loc: Chicago & SE Wisconsin
Re: 577NE [Re: JPK]
      #74494 - 25/03/07 12:41 AM

It seems the concensus is that the 577s seem to be the 'flavor of the day' in the current doubles market and is as about all the rifle one can carry and shoot without getting a hernia at the end of the day from the weight as to carry or a nose bleed (or worse) when you shoot it. I would prefer a lighter gun (for both reasons.) My 500NE is about all I'd like to carry or shoot. The impression I have been given by those who frequent Africa and hunt seriously is that the few 577s they see are carried by occasional hunters who bought them for the cache of having the largest practical gun and that their use even by PHs as a 'last ditch' stopper is fairly thin on the ground and few and far between. Given the substantial up charge for the 577 over a 470 or 500NE, I'd take the latter. Dave

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

Edited by dnovo (25/03/07 12:43 AM)

Double_Trouble
.375 member

Reged: 27/04/06
Loc: Canada
Re: 577NE [Re: dnovo]
      #74495 - 25/03/07 12:48 AM

It seems that this may be a good place to mention that if anyone has an interest in a new 577 DR let me know via private post .... I happen to know where there is one awaiting an owner since the fellow who originally ordered it, is nowhere to be found.

I am quite serious, this rifle was ordered and never picked up and is presently for sale.... it isn't cheap but it is an exquisite double rifle.

DT

--------------------
Double Trouble,
Speak not of what you do not know.
Listen up when it's time to.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: 577NE [Re: Double_Trouble]
      #74663 - 27/03/07 01:44 AM

Hemingway wrote about his big double in .577 NE. I think that made the chambering popular in days gone by.

I have always regarded the .577 NE as the largest double rifle loading I would consider acquiring and using for hunting. The weight of a .600 (or larger) puts me off a bit as does the price for most of them.

I am not a collector nor interested in being one (nor can afford to!). In reality does a .600 or .700 add or detract from the effectiveness on close-in dangerous game in the hands of the average client?

Since shooting Marrakai's "Fat Lady" in .577 2 3/4" three years ago (built on a Greener shotgun of suitable frame), I have wanted to emulate a similar double (with longer barrel) and acquired a suitable shotgun. Its still in the gun safe as I have liked it as a shotgun too much, so am looking for a second one at good price!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 54 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3180

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com