Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: I've fallen in love again

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
600JDJ
.275 member

Reged: 22/04/04
Loc: Iowa, USA
I've fallen in love again
      #74116 - 18/03/07 08:46 AM

You know, you always know it but sometimes you have to come back home. I shot my Sauer 202 375 H&H (bought from SafariKid) today and re-learned what I already new. It's Hard to beat the 375. I haven't shot a 375 in years. Lots of others, 458's, 600's, 4570's. Plenty of power, low recoil, and fun. Tom, I polished off the 2 boxes you sent and some reloads, 270gr Hornady's for a total of about 75 rounds. 10 from the LeadSled to sight in and the rest offhand for practice. This Sauer is super-slick fast and you can fire from the shoulder very very rapidly with never bringing it down. If it wasn't for "the disease", you'd have to ask yourself, why the others?

Great St. Patties Day at the range. Hope you all had as much fun.
Joe

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
WyoJoe
.300 member

Reged: 18/02/04
Loc: Cheyenne, WY USA
Re: I've fallen in love again [Re: 600JDJ]
      #74118 - 18/03/07 08:51 AM

I hear you Joe. I shot my brother's .375 and liked it. Liked it so much I sent my .300 out & had it rebarreled. It is my go to gun now. I use it for everything, even prairie dogs sometimes. Something about the cartridge that just makes you fall in love with it.

--------------------
There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

600JDJ
.275 member

Reged: 22/04/04
Loc: Iowa, USA
Re: I've fallen in love again [Re: WyoJoe]
      #74139 - 18/03/07 11:53 PM

Yup, it's a lot of fun just practicing your offhand shooting. I'm going to rig up a moving target device kind of like the one on the Heym Magnum Mauser sight of the guy shooting the 404 at a buffalo target coming at him. He rips off 4 rounds in short order all on target. My Sauer holds 4 down 1 up so I can get 1 extra in if I'm good. This rifle cycles so incredibly fast. It only weighs 7.5 lbs. yet the recoil is very low allowing me to keep the rifle shouldered while cycling the action. I'm not as accurate as the guy on that clip, yet, but I'm as fast
I now need to cook up a good load using H4595 as I have a large supply of it to burn up. I'm going to push the Hornady 270's to around 2600+/-. A mild load that I'll test out on some pigs this year as well as much practice. I'm not going to scope it this year yet as it's a lot of fun using the iron express sights and it's again, fun to relearn that iron sights still are amazingly accurate and fast. When I do scope it, I'll put on a Leupold 2.5-8 in low QD mounts. Later on, I'll make up a load probably using 300 gr. Northfork softs. I'm trying to decide if I want to make 2 heavy loads. One using the 270 gr. Swift A-frames and another w/ a 300gr Northfork, or just keep it simple with one load, the Northfork 300's, doing it all. I'm leaning toward that later for simplicity.

What do you guys think, one hunting laod or two?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 55 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1734

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com