Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Sporting kangaroo hunting ???

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Sporting kangaroo hunting ???
      #7276 - 22/01/04 08:02 PM

I received an email from an overseas hunter visiting Australia who is interested in hunting or joining in a hunt for roos while in Australia.

I have previously been told it is now possible to hunt recreationally kangaroos in Queensland but do not know the mechanism involved. I remember a permit allowed four roos to be taken.

From a simple search using Google I found the following:

In reply to:

Queensland

Kangaroos in Queensland are classified as protected animals under the Nature Conservation Act 1992. The harvesting of 4 species of kangaroos is conducted in accordance with the Nature Conservation (Macropod Harvesting) Conservation Plan 1994. This subordinate legislation provides for the ecologically sustainable taking and use of macropods as a renewable resource.

The commercial harvesting of macropods is only permitted by licensed operators during declared harvest periods. Harvest periods are a legislative mechanism used to control commercial harvesting. Licenses can be issued for both commercial or recreational purposes. Damage mitigation permits may also be issued to landholders. All kangaroos taken under a commercial or recreational license in Queensland must be tagged using self-locking numbered plastic tags. Accurate reporting of the kangaroo take is a requirement of all license or permit holders.

Annual quotas specify the maximum number of each species that may be taken. These quotas are set conservatively and provide a safeguard against overharvesting.

The monitoring of kangaroos in Queensland is based on annual broadscale helicopter and ground surveys. Given the large size of the commercial harvest zone in Queensland, helicopter surveys are based on a sampling regime from representative areas. Information from these surveys and from the monitoring of harvest statistics (weight of carcasses, skin size and sex) is used as an indication of population trends. Trends are collated regularly for species on a grid square (half degree blocks), shire and biogeographic regional basis.

The Department of Environment can restrict or prevent harvesters from operating in specific properties, or shire areas. Queensland has also introduced size and weight limits to prevent overharvesting of small animals. In addition, the Minister for Environment may (in specified circumstances of high skin-only harvesting) assign 45% of the allocated quota for each of the three major species (red kangaroo; eastern grey kangaroo; wallaroo) to carcass harvesting.

Should the harvest for an individual species approach the quota, the harvest period can be closed across the State, ensuring quota overruns are avoided.

Can anyone shed more light on buying kangaroo permits in Queensland for recreational pruposes? Thanks.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Sporting kangaroo hunting ??? [Re: NitroX]
      #7277 - 22/01/04 08:08 PM

Another reference

In reply to:

Species suggested as additional game species included wombats and other species currently permitted to be controlled by farmers, as well as the larger species of kangaroos. Currently Queensland is the only State that permits hunting of large kangaroos for sport.199

http://www.parliament.vic.gov.au/enrc/unff/report/util5-07.htm

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Boghossian
.275 member

Reged: 23/01/04
      #7319 - 24/01/04 01:22 AM

Hi,
Could someone tell me why exactly Kangaroos are so closely guarded from sport hunters, yet cullers kill dozens?
My cousin spent 1 year working with a culler in Queensland and explained how they would shoot 150+ in a night and stopped only because they wouldn't finish skinning them all...then they would take the skins away and return to find pigs eating the carcasses and shoot them, then release the hounds on the escapees and catch a couple more that way.
A night well spent if you ask me
(even if you have to skin 150 bloody marsupials )

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Sporting kangaroo hunting ??? [Re: Boghossian]
      #7343 - 24/01/04 06:50 AM

Now the shooters dont skin em a mechanical puller back at the meat joint takes the strain of skinning out of it.
There are a few places that advertise that they will let you go out with a licenced shooter 'to watch" the pro at night....for a fee of course,but as in most communities its a matter of going out yourself and getting what you want.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Sporting kangaroo hunting ??? [Re: gryphon]
      #7358 - 24/01/04 11:12 AM

Gryphon

Now that you are a Queenslander can you just go out and buy a permit for 5 recreational roos?

I have some recollection that this was the case, but would like it confirmed and where you can do this.

Also if so, can you utilise the skins and meat? Are there tags?

Thanks.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

416SW
.224 member

Reged: 21/01/04
Loc: Melb Aust
      #7359 - 24/01/04 11:14 AM

I know a guy who only stopped 12mnths ago he used a winch to pull the skins off. He was way out some where and no chillers, where there are chillers the meat goes for pet food.

Kangaroo Industry

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #7360 - 24/01/04 11:18 AM

In reply to:

Now the shooters dont skin em a mechanical puller back at the meat joint takes the strain of skinning out of it.

Roos shot for meat or "carcass" as it's known in the industry, MUST still have the skin on the carcass to be eligable for sale.
The carcass is then skinned at the roo works using a machine puller, and then the carcass is boned out.

Roos shot for skins have the skin removed in the field by the shooter or helper and then the carcass is NOT eligable for sale and must be left behind.
For many years most field skin removal was done by hand but as time went on various methods of field machine pulling were devised.
These included pulling the skins by using a vehicle and chains and later true "skinning machines" were developed.
Many were built by the shooters and some were powered by 12 volt starter motors and others were driven by small stationary petrol engines.
These machines were a vast improvement over hand skinning.

I first shot roos for a living in 1979 and made my full time living in the mid 1980's by shooting/trapping roos, foxes,cats and wild pigs.
When things went to plan, it was a damn good lifestyle!

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Sporting kangaroo hunting ??? [Re: 416SW]
      #7361 - 24/01/04 11:19 AM

John Hahn dear boy i have taken umbrage to your line "Now that you are a Queenslander" god no mate i`m a bloody Victorian mate hahahaha true mate i aint ever gone live here forever ,i`m going home sooner than later.

I`m not sure about that permit caper myself either.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#7374 - 24/01/04 12:14 PM

416Sw and 4seventy

So none of you Queenslanders know anything about recreational permits? Either they are a big secret or difficult to get or an illusion. Certainly the info on the web seems vague.

Gryphon

I thought I might get a bite with that bait.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Far_Canel
.224 member

Reged: 02/01/04
      #7402 - 24/01/04 10:37 PM

I'm told that to get the permits to shoot roos is a pain in the arse.
As long as the helicopters don't see the bodies there's no problem and it's business as usual.
The Cockies out west don't give a shit about the 'quota' bullshit.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5197

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com