Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Homogenious bullets and doubles

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
Re: Homogenious bullets and doubles [Re: atkinson6]
      #7548 - 27/01/04 05:29 PM

I first used the Barnes X bullets here in Aus in 1989 in 308 and 30-06 bolt action rifles.
The first Barnes X Aus Agent used photos of my recovered projectiles to promote the product and he sent me quite a few samples in different cals to test and also try to get more recoveries.
At the time I was doing most of my shooting with a double rifle so I specifically asked for projectiles for use in that gun.
Well, I shot a couple of hundred X's through it without problems.
This is an old pommie gun not a new double.

Another double of mine, (20 years old) has shot heaps of Winchester Fail Safe projectiles without any problems.
Same gun has shot heaps of Nosler Partitions without problems.
It's my opinion that any double that is not strong enough in the barrels to shoot Nosler Partitions without damage, is not worth owning.

But I don't shoot X's, Fail Safes, or Mono Solids through any of my doubles any more because there is no need to.

My idea of double ownership is to get it shooting right using the appropriate Woodleigh projectile then quit worrying about everything and get out there and hunt with it enjoy the thing.
Doubles can be a lot of fun!!!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Homogenious bullets and doubles [Re: 4seventy]
      #7550 - 27/01/04 05:46 PM

In reply to:

Poster: 4seventy
Subject: Re: Homogenious bullets and doubles

My idea of double ownership is to get it shooting right using the appropriate Woodleigh projectile then quit worrying about everything and get out there and hunt with it enjoy the thing.
Doubles can be a lot of fun!!!

Exactly the way I think. Make it work and stop F#%$@ing around with it.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Homogenious bullets and doubles [Re: mickey]
      #7556 - 27/01/04 07:04 PM

4seventy, Mickey,

Mickey, I saw your comment on the 1st page of this thread about reloading and continually stuffing around.

I totally agree - get ANY gun shooting and then go out and do something with it.

IMHO, if you want to play load development, become a bench rest / Fly shooter !!!
(I have nothing against bench rest / Fly shooters but load development really does give
them a benefit, with doubles and to a certain extent bolt gun, once you've got a good load ......

500 Nitro

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
      #7589 - 28/01/04 12:26 PM

Ray:

Well, I suppose you're entitled to your opinion, even if you're not very observant. If you've never seen a double rifle with overstressed rifling (the rifling pushed through) from monolithic bullets, then you don't see many double rifles, or you're blind.

By the way, I'm not the guy you referred to in your post. I've never gone away, here or at AR.
------------------------------------

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

mickey
.416 member

Re: Homogenious bullets and doubles [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #7592 - 28/01/04 01:24 PM

400Nitro

There was indeed a fellow on AR that promised to send pictures of riflling imprinted on the outside of a barrel. They didn't ever show up as he said the gun was a friends and he couldn't get the pictures.

I have seen, in Darwin, a 308 Steyr with imprinted rifling. It was used as a culling rifle and had fired many thousands of rounds of solids of some type. It was still supposed to be accurate. Alas, I never thought to take a picture as it didn't seem unreasonable or unusual enough to me to think of it.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
      #7598 - 28/01/04 02:25 PM

Mick:

I guess that thread must have run before I found AR. Good to know.

The Westley I mentioned in my first post on this thread was a 9.3 and had just been redone by Paul Roberts when my friend got it. The barrels were perfectly struck - I checked when he was thinking of buying it. They certainly weren't when we got finished with the X-bullets. He sold it for a song a year or two later. The dealer that he sold it to sent it to J. J. to have the barrels struck off and re-blacked. It showed up for sale at Westley Richards a few months later.

I've seen a number of double rifles with the same damage over the years. Fewer now than I used to. Word finally got around.
-------------------------------------

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
Re: Homogenious bullets and doubles [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #7600 - 28/01/04 02:32 PM

OK, boys it's put up or shut up time, show me a double rifle with the rifling pushed to the outside and imprinted, and I will pay you a hundred dollar bill....I'm calling you out and I suspect that I have seen as many doubles as anyone....

If copper is harder than steel of any kind that is a new one on me..I been chasing this BS for longer than most of you have lived....

I have spent many years chasing this fable and listening to this bullshit, now show me and I'll make you richer....

atkinson6
.375 member

#7669 - 29/01/04 06:02 AM

OK guys I going to up the anti to $200, I really want to see this phenominum...

Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
      #7685 - 29/01/04 08:22 AM

Question for Woodleigh shooters:

What is the difference in the regular soft nose and the Protected round point? Just thinking of getting some and trying it out for my 9.3. Also is there a woodleigh loading manual?

Ray:
I don't have any experience with the "hard bullets" (I've only run a few partitions through my Chapuis), but I can comment a bit on the 3031 "myth." I my opinion, it seems very plausible. Back when starting reloading for my 9.3 I did a bonehead move and made some loads that someone gave me recipes for the 9.3x74r with 3031. I of course started low and worked up. Well that was my intention. Even at reduced levels pressure was HIGH, extraction difficult, so after a two shells, I went lower, and extraction remained difficult. So I stopped. Then I looked back at Wright's book and saw what he wrote on 3031, and thought boy I was stupid for ignoring that since I thought he was only talking about problems with large bores.

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

Rusty
.333 member

Reged: 08/02/03
Loc: Missouri City, Texas
      #7759 - 29/01/04 07:29 PM

Well, I think my rifle shows the signs of shooting monolithic solids thru it. I took a picture and sent it to Ray. The camera doesn't really show what the eye can see. I told Ray that next time he gets down to Texas we'll get to get and oogle the barrels of my rifle! I told him to keep his money!
Another good story about him and Pierre hunting buffalo would be great fun!

--------------------
Rusty
We band of brothers!

DRSS

atkinson6
.375 member

Re: Homogenious bullets and doubles [Re: Rusty]
      #7792 - 30/01/04 09:10 AM

Chasseur and Rusty,
It is paramont that one uses a good gob of filler with IMR-3031 or you will build pressures as there is simply too much space in the big cases, thats a given...

Before the advent of some of the newer powders like 4831, 4350,RLs, IMR-3031 was the powder of choice for all doubles and for many years the only available powder that would work with them.

As too this barrel thing I am very anxious to see Rustys gun, and he should have the steel ex-rayed and have some testing done...I have talked to many of the double rifle gunsmiths and those I have talked to tell me this cannot take place and it it did then the rifleing would be very shallow on the inside indeed as the would be pushed out and copper, brass being softer than steel makes this an impossiblity..the gun would have to be a smooth bore because the metal must go somewhere and if it goes out, then it cannot remain in...makes since to me...

I strongly suspect that what Rusty is seeing is perhaps the remements of a hammer forged barrel, the rigdes caused in turning the barrel down and polishing or something on that order, but should he be correct he will certainly get a check from me and my search for the truth will finally come to an end, but I have been at this point before and nothing came of it...

I would love to see that gun studied by someone like L&L Interprises or even Whites laboratories, as I have a lot of respect for Rusty and some of that group when it comes to double rifles...

Rusty
.333 member

Reged: 08/02/03
Loc: Missouri City, Texas
      #7814 - 30/01/04 12:27 PM

Ray,
I'd love to find out those are hammer forgings too Ray! I will try to locate a metal Xray firm in Houston and we'll see what a few Xray films say!

--------------------
Rusty
We band of brothers!

DRSS

Chasseur
.375 member

Re: Homogenious bullets and doubles [Re: Rusty]
      #7820 - 30/01/04 01:46 PM

Ray,

I'm not a expert on reloading, but I was aware of the need to use filler in the large nitro cases meant for cordite. However, in my slender little 9.3x74r cases the 3031 filled them up rather nicely (not really different than the 4064 I happily use now), there really was no extra space, but the pressure was still too high.

Not trying to start a fight, just trying to understand what happened.

Thanks

--------------------
-Machiavelli

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Re: Homogenious bullets and doubles [Re: Chasseur]
      #7833 - 30/01/04 03:10 PM

My first loads with my 9,3x74R were with IMR 3031 and 270 Speer bullets. While I never had any high pressure problems these are the only loads that the bbls cross fired.
I later found that RL-15 gives excellent accuracy with the 270 Speers, and I use 65gr of IMR 4831 with the 285/286 bullets. 286 Woodleigh Solids seem to shoot best with 63.5 gr of IMR 4831. I say seems to as I do not declare a load good until I have several different firing sessions with it.

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
      #7846 - 30/01/04 04:48 PM

I have found 4064 to be the best all around powder for my three different 9,3x74r's with 250 & 286 gr bullets. IMR 4831 works about perfectly with the 320 Woodleighs.

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

atkinson6
.375 member

Re: Homogenious bullets and doubles [Re: luv2safari]
      #7865 - 31/01/04 02:21 AM

Chasseur,
Having never loaded for the 9.3x74, I cannot say...but IMR-3031 is very close to the same burning rate as IMR-4064, but every gun is an inity unto itself, so I have no doubt of your problem, just suggesting some possibilities. but you have to admit these forums are a good place to discuss these matters and a lot of hard questions are answered here, so no one is trying to start an arguement that I know of but varied opinnions are good for the soul.....

Chasseur
.375 member

#7870 - 31/01/04 02:45 AM

Luv2safri and Ray,

Thanks to both of you and all your information. I'll look into your loads! I really enjoy this forum!

Thanks!

--------------------
-Machiavelli

nopride2
.300 member

Reged: 03/01/04
Loc: Seattle, Wa.
      #8037 - 02/02/04 06:06 AM

Regarding pushing the rifling to the outside of the barrel. The bullet would have to create enough pressure to exceed the yield strength of the barrel steel. The non yielding bullet would be pushing on the lands, and stretching the metal in the grooves. Assuming a 6 land barrel, the outside would have a slight hexagontal shape. You would also have an oversized bore. If one were to shoot a bullet hard enough to deform a barrel in this manner, the pressure required, would probably damage the action of a double rifle.

Dave

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #8388 - 07/02/04 09:34 AM

In reply to:

I have talked to many of the double rifle gunsmiths and those I have talked to tell me this cannot take place and it it did then the rifleing would be very shallow on the inside indeed as the would be pushed out and copper, brass being softer than steel makes this an impossiblity..

Just because a gunsmith is well versed on the needs of double rifle restortion, and repair, doesn't mean he knows everything about physics! I don't really want to get into a big disucssion that nobody can prove, one way or another on the internet, but there are a couple things to think about before makeing up your mind about useing mono-lithic bullets in a double rifle!

Because copper is softer than steel is no guarintee that a copper bullet can't expand a rifle barrel. Mud is softer than steel but barrels are expanded to bursting every day, when sudden pressure is applied! That same mud plug, shouved through the barrel with a cleaning rod, does no damage at all. Like a bullet, the pressure behind the mud suddenly expands it,admittedly to a greater degree than it would a bullet, but does have an effect, none the less!Think of this like a person diveing into water from ten feet,approximently 5 mph, the water simply flows out of the way, and closes behind as the person enters the water. Hitting that water at 100 MPH it becomes a solid, and will crush your skull! Why, because it no longer has time to react, and retract!

The bullet moveing through a rifle barrel will not have the same effect on that barrel if pushed through at slow speed, like with a hydrolic pressure, as it will when shouved through it at 2150 fps. The slower bullet would give the barrel steel, and copper of the bullet, time to react, and retract, the same bullet pushed "SUDDENLY" through the same barrel gives less time for the steel, and copper to react, and retract. This is the same as a bullet pushed against a 3/8" steel plate, slowly, crushing the bullet, and only denting the steel, but the same bullet hitting the plate at 2150 fps, drilling right through, because the bullet doesn't have time to crush, before the steel give way!

That being said, I don't think you will find as many rifleing displacements, as you will seperated ribs, or pressure induced off face condition, from mono-lithics, in doubles.

Regardless, if there is any chance of damageing my rifles from the use of mono-lithic bullets,in my doubles, then they will not be used in my rifles, regardless of evidence shown me, personally! Like my good friend Ray has always said, "where there is smoke, there is usually, at least, a simmering coal of fire"!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

atkinson6
.375 member

Re: Homogenious bullets and doubles [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #8658 - 11/02/04 03:36 AM

Dugaboy,
My posts to you are always tendered with respect to your vast knowledge of double rifles, of that there is no doubt..but on this issue I will take anyone to task, as in order to move steel to the outside of a gun with a softer metal is simply an impossibility and this is simply an old wives tale that has been pushed into the relm of believable by some of the most knowledgeable....In order for this to be true one would end up with an oversize smooth bore, not just worn rifleing...if you move steel then it must go somewhere....

We did a test a couple of years ago based on my reading about the same test in some magazine or hearsay or whatever and we took an old English double set of ruined .408? barrels that I procured from Rick Stickley...I sent an oversize mild steel billet down the tube more than half way, at which time Ken Akin and I could no longer swing the sledge hammer, Next day we knocked it out and without going into detail, nothing changed what so ever and the barrel expanded and returned to specs, thats about the extent of it...I am aware the same test was conducted with a hydralic press and with the same results except it swaged the monolithid solid from 458 to .411

More tests of this nature need to be performed and test done under more elaborate conditions..as I am still firmly convinced that softer metal cannot move harder metal, that is a scientific fact or so I have been assured..

However, as I said in the beginning, I do not shoot monolithics in english rifles UNLESS they are of pure copper and have pressure rings such as Bridger or GS Customs bullets...I have shot these in my Jefferys and Army Navy 450-400's more than a few times in the flat nose solid varity without a problem..In fact using the same identical load as I used with my regulated Woodleighs I had to UP the charge by 2grs. with the GS bullets to get the required 2125 FPS to regulate and come to POI, which indicates to me they were, in fact, easier on the bores than the accepted Woodleighs...

Now, to set the record straight, I would not shoot Barnes X in an English double rifle, as they have no pressure rings and may be of a harder metal than GS or Bridger...Barnes claims there test show other wise?....I would suggest that they may damage an English double in ways other than pushing the rifling to the outside of the barrel..they may undo the solder or whatever, I simply do not know.

Well, thats the way I see it and I like I said, I have chased this issue for a number of years and to date, have not been convienced otherwise, but I am receptive of any actual proof that can be produced, but not assumption or Hearsay. I do however welcome any posts what so ever as to anyones opinnion, that is what makes for intelligent conversation...

At any rate I solved the problem by purchasing the new Searcy PH model, which is as close to an English double as I have seen and one heck of a lot stronger and better steel and will handle any bullets with aplomb...It is a hunting rifle...

DUGABOY1
.400 member

#8664 - 11/02/04 04:33 AM

Very well put, Ray! One thing I would like to ask you, however, is how did you swing that hammer fast enough to get 2150 fps, and 35000 lbs chamber pressure, behind the mild steel bullet?

All kidding asside, I don't know if I believe the rifleing being pushed to the outside of the barrel, but I do think the fact that the bullet being softer than the barrel is not the only thing that must be taken into consideration, to call the displacement of barrel steel an impossibility. My take is, the most probable negative outcome, if any, will be rib seperation! In any event, I will not use them, unaltered, in my rifles, nor will I reccomend anyone else to use them.

I think the so-called pressure ridges are the key to the use of monolithic solids in double rifles. These ridges simply give the displaced engraved metel someplace to go! Into the cuts behind them! This allows them to act more like a lead core bullet, while still maintaneing it's monolithic solid integrity! If you look closely at a Barnes Super Solid, you will see the bareing surface is grouve diameter, while the nose of the bullet is bore diameter. The crimp grouve is also bore diameter. With the pressure rings cut into the bearing surface, slightly deeper than the crimp grouve, or slightly deeper than bore diameter, IMO, would allow the metel being displaced by the rifleing engraveing, a place to go! Into the space between the pressue rings, and thereby makeing them usable in all doubles!

--------------------
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

mickey
.416 member

#8680 - 11/02/04 07:16 AM

Ray

All bullets swell the barrel of a rifle as thye go on their merry way. I would think that the give and ductability of the way the ribs are attached would be the weak point. How does Searcy handle this differently than the other makers? Better barrel steel, if in fact they do use better steel, would not make a difference in the movement of the ribs. Or would it?

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

atkinson6
.375 member

#8729 - 11/02/04 11:41 AM

Mickey and Mac,
I don't have all the answers and have about run my best lick at ya'll.....I can't add a lot more...and mine is mostly opinnion with a lot of information/opine gleened from the double rifle gunsmiths like Butch, David Yale, lee LaBois and others...

DUGABOY1
.400 member

#8839 - 12/02/04 12:29 PM

Ray, you could very well be as right as rain, I have nothing other than opinion,myself, not being educated in advanced physics, and my sources are exactly the same as yours, almost a life time of hunting with rifles, of all types, and handloading for 50 years, along with 46 years of owning,useing, and loading for double rifles! I certainly have never damaged a double rifle with mono-metel bullets, because I only used them one time, and had to take the rifle appart, and use dryice to shrink the steel, and brass to get the cases out of the chambers, because of the over pressure. The rifle turned out to be OK, however, I didn't shoot any more monos in a double. That was my fault, because I used the same load that regulated with softpoints, and fire both barrels before trying to break the rifle open. I screwed up, because I did not reduce the load, and work up! I'm still open to the use of Monolithic solids in double rifles, if some one can show me one that will work without damageing my rifles!

The North Fork looks like the answer to me,with the grouves to relieve the pressure needed to engrave the rifleing into the bullet,without haveing to compress the whole bullet! Now, if we could just get him to make some solids! Nitro 450 #2, and I talked to him for quite a while, at the DSC show, and his bullets really look nice to me! His velocity/upset displays are impressive, to say the least!

--------------------

atkinson6
.375 member

#8905 - 13/02/04 08:15 AM

Mac,
Thats not a problem the GS and the Bridger FN solids and their HPs are no different than the Northforks in that respect..all have a solid base with the pressure rings...All normally have to be charged with a grain or two more powder to reach pressure level and velocity to come to regulation and may require some minor sight regulation also...displacement of bullet jacket or material simply applies to the rings only and very little movement of barrels takes place as it has been explained to me....

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 78 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 12005

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com