Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Recommended twist for 7mm Mauser?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
450_Ackley
.375 member

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: Darling Downs, Qld Australia
Recommended twist for 7mm Mauser?
      #72996 - 03/03/07 06:03 PM

G'Day all,
I've bought myself a Win M 70 push feed, which is currently a 243 Win, I plan to have it rebarreled to 7mm Mauser in the future, might make it look like a Win Featherweight.
What I'd like to ask of you all is what barrel maker seems to be the popular choice at present, and what twist rate should I go for?
I plan on playing around with bullet weights from 115 to 175, basically the main 7mm range.
Should I just go for the standard 1~9 or would an 8 twist be any advantage?

Thanks,
450 A.M.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Recommended twist for 7mm Mauser? [Re: 450_Ackley]
      #73056 - 04/03/07 06:39 AM

Either would probably be just fine. I assume the BRNO has a 9" twist (don't know for sure) and it shoots all bullet weights well, and especially the 160gr. Triple shocks which are very long.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Scott
.275 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Florida, USA
      #73170 - 05/03/07 11:04 AM

The standard for 7mm seems to be 1:9 or 1:9 1/2. You may find that it will be difficult to get good accuracy across the entire bullet weight range. The heavy the bullet, the faster the twist rate (without considering the effects of velocity).

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
      #73306 - 07/03/07 07:03 AM

FWIW, I have had several telephone and e-mail conversations with a well known barrelmaker named Barrett "Boots" Obermeyer regarding a 7x64 barrel. He suggested a 1:8 or 1:8.25 inch twist for the heavier 175 grain bullets.

Erik

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Recommended twist for 7mm Mauser? [Re: EricD]
      #73730 - 13/03/07 07:21 AM

I just did a bit of research on 7mm twist. What I found comes from Dan Lilja, barrel maker extrordinaire.
: According to Dan, stability factors are given to bullets. A stability factor of 1.0 is required for the bullet to be stable at the muzzle. A higher number is advisable for hunting bullets which are not gyroscopically perfect. ie: their centre of mass doens't coincide with their centre of axis. Hornady's handloading books picture this quite well. Bench-rest bullets are more closely perfect in this regard & therefore BR shooters usually use twist rates that 'just' stabilize the bullet as this stability shows best potential accuracy.
: In hunting rifles shooting hunting bullets, a slightly faster rate of twist will help to overcome minor deviation in the bullet's 'less than Bench Rest perfection'. A stability factor of 1.5 has been suggested. Too, we are looking for stabiity under hunting conditions that may involve shooting through minor structure as in bushes or branches. To maintain stability through these obstacles and during penetration of animals as the bullet expands, faster twists are required than what gives the very best accuracy.
: The bullet used in the testing was 160gr. flat base, with an overall length of 1.270" - a fairly long bullet.
: Testing showed that at 2,700fps, a normal 160gr. velocity for a 7mm 160gr. bullet, a stability factor of 1.5 was met with an 11.1" rate of twist. At 2,700fps, the stability factor for the same bullet from a 12" twist was still 1.32.
: Thus, we may use any twist faster than 12" and expect good accuracy. The faster the twist, the less 'inherant' accuracy potential, but the better stability for hunting purposes. These tests show, for the long pointy 160gr. bullet the twist rate doens't need to be faster than about 9", but we do know that the more stable the bullet is, the better it maintains it's stability after impact.
: This also shows that there is no bullet commonly used in 7mm calibre rifles that would require faster than a 9" twist, so 8" or 8.5" might not be of any benefit.
: With a static imbalance of .000250", the difference in potential group for this same 160gr. bullet is: 12" twist = .453" group and for a 9" twist, .604" group. This accuracy 'loss' is easily absorbed in hunting conditions and become meaningless.
: This may sound too complicated, but is merely meant to show that about any twist used today in a 7mm barrel is sufficient for hunting bullets of any weight as most twists are 10" or faster. A 10" twist will stabilize that 1.270" long bullet down to less than 500fps and up to in excess of 5,000fps. Need more? : If anyone has more experience than Dan Lilja, perhaps they can add or subract from these figures.
: The 175gr. Hornady Interlock measures 1.358" long, some .088" (88 thou) longer than the 160gr. used in Dan's testing, but is also well stabilized by any twist faster than 10".

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 53 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2439

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com