Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Siamese mauser

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
Otto
.300 member

Reged: 15/09/05
Loc: Arizona, USA
Siamese mauser
      #71948 - 19/02/07 11:45 PM

I have a Siamese mauser action itching to be a rifle. Any one have experience with these actions? Would there be any problems getting a 50-110 or 50 Alaskan to feed? Do M98 aftermarket stocks present any major problems fitting to a Siamese? Ditto for aftermarket (Timney) triggers? Any other issues with building a rifle on these actions?
Otto

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
zimhunter
.333 member

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Southern Arizona
Re: Siamese mauser [Re: Otto]
      #71961 - 20/02/07 04:11 AM

I have a very nice full stock built on a Siamese Action. It is 30/40 Krag. I was told the barrel is a match grade Douglas for an M14 that was misthreaded so was used for this rifle. Sights are takeoff Remington irons and safety is an old FN style. Trigger is a Timney. Whoever built it did a perfect job. Action has been completely ground and stock is a plain but nice piece of English. It was not checkered when I bought it and I had it checkered. Shoots and feeds without flaw. Have no idea who built it but he is definitely good.

Edited by zimhunter (20/02/07 04:23 AM)

Whitneymr
.224 member

Reged: 26/08/07
Loc: Colorado, USA
Re: Siamese mauser [Re: zimhunter]
      #84944 - 30/08/07 05:24 PM

I have one done up in 45-70 and works fine so 50 Alaskan would work/feed OK.

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #85462 - 12/09/07 02:40 AM

Zim,

What is the largest overall length cartridge you can use in the magazine. Has it been altered, or is it still the slant type? I have one I was thinking of having rebored to .333 and rechambered to .33 Jeffery Flanged, but I'm not sure the magazine is long enough.

Bill Warren

zimhunter
.333 member

Re: Siamese mauser [Re: xausa]
      #85646 - 15/09/07 05:12 AM

I just took a case and loaded some 180gr Swifts and looks like the longest that will feed is 3.139". My magazine is still the original slantbox and feeds excellantly. Does not appear to have been modified at all. You could easily take 1/16",3/32" off the ramp and extend the box with little trouble if that would help. My COTW shows the 333 Jeffery Flanged at 3.49". Looks like it would be a stretch even with opening the box and taking some off the ramp. If you opened the back also would be no problem. Don't see it would be much trouble to do. Otherwise you would have to seat a little deep to achieve the length and don't see that as much trouble either. With the Swift I was a good 1/8" in front of the crimp groove. With judicious bullet and powder selection I think you could make it work easily. The barrel on mine is a premium M14 barrel that was incorrectly threaded I understand and salvaged on this rifle and a 30/40 worked easily. A 333 would be a nice application.

xausa
.400 member

#85681 - 15/09/07 10:57 PM

I've also thought of .33 Winchester, although the original chamber would not clean up. .45-70 cases sized in a .33 Winchester die and neck sized to 8mm go right in the chamber.

Maybe I'll end up with a wildcat .338 based on the Siamese case. (The .33 Winchester used a .338" bullet, which would be an advantage as far as bullet availability is concerned.)

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #85696 - 16/09/07 02:15 AM

The .45/70 or .50 Aalskan should work just fine. I did one up in .45/70 many years ago and it was a super success.
: Loads used matched my .458 2" exactly as to velocities.
: We used 68gr. H335 with 350gr. Hornady's and 400gr. Barnes Spitzer bullets, both rifles giving identical velocities - 2,269fps with the 350's and 2,149fps with the 400's. A drop tube was necessary. Pressures were fairly low and becasue of that, the muzzle flash was fairly bright.
; Also, 66gr. 4320 worked fine with both bullets for almost identical velocities. I also used that load for 500gr.Hornady's in the .458 2" for 2,060fps.
: DON'T USE THESE LOADS IN ANY LEVER ACTION RIFLE!!!!!
; A .50 Alaskan with 500gr. Lyman cast bullets at about 1,850fps would make a good thumper. There may be some custom bullets available in that calibre.
; Harry McGowen, St., Anne Ill. makes very accurate .50 cal barrels in 24" twist which will handle bullet weights to 700gr. easily. I definitely would NOT get a 15" twist, which some barrel makers cut. That fast a twist is not necessary, except maybe for modern .50 cal. match bullets of 800gr. or heavier. Over twisting hunting bullets is not good for deep penetration. - in my most humble opinion, of course.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: Siamese mauser [Re: DarylS]
      #85701 - 16/09/07 02:45 AM

Zimhunter/Daryl S,

Gentlemen you do all of us a great disservice when you talk about fine guns without posting pictures.

Thanks in advance for the pics of your beauties whenever you find time. If you had Marilyn Monroe on your arm, she wouldn't be wearing the chador, would she?

Good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

zimhunter
.333 member

Re: Siamese mauser [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #85716 - 16/09/07 06:13 AM

Siamese Mauser in 30-40 Krag. Bought locally un-finished so to speak. Did not have provision for a safety at all and was not checkered. Put the old style FN safety on and Sterling Davenport was kind enough to put a couple of panels on for me. Have absolutely no idea WHO built it but he is a Master Gunsmith in every definition of the word. Fits me as if built for me and also shoots good. I have absolutely no idea HOW to post pictures on this forum. I have no trouble on Accurate Reloading but nothing seems to work on here. Sorry about that. As you can see that try also failed so guess you will have to just imagine it. I spent all my adult life programming LARGE computers and managing computer operations and cannot understand the difficulty in posting a picture to a forum. Pc's are like digital cameras, not to be understood by ordinary people.

xausa
.400 member

#85718 - 16/09/07 06:28 AM

Amen to that. I have had no difficulty in posting pictures on frappr.com, but this forum has totally defeated me.

Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
      #85719 - 16/09/07 06:33 AM

This is what the FAQ has to say about it. As I don't have a web server, I haven't tried it.

How do I add an image to my message?
In order to add an image to your message or your signature, you must have the image already available on a web server. This can be an image on your own personal web page, for example. To place an image within a message, simply use the following Markup Tag:

For example, if you have an image called cateye.gif and its available from your own website at http://www.mywebsite.com/pics, then you would use the following image markup:

You can do the same for your signature. Click the option found on any page. Then, under the Main Configuration heading, click on "Personal Information, email, password...". Look for the Signature box, and enter your desired information, including any images/markup as above.

Note: To keep the forums loading quickly for everyone, it is recommended that you do not exceed 35k for your image size.

zimhunter
.333 member

Re: Siamese mauser [Re: Tatume]
      #85735 - 16/09/07 10:27 AM

Your post comes up like so many others with the only thing showing where the example should be is a small box with a red 'X' in it and no picture. I followed the examples as well as I know how and the images just don't appear. All my pictures are on another site and as I say I have no problem showing them on other forums but this and the 24Hour Campfire totally blow me away. It's as if they wish to discourage showing pictures which is ok by me if that's their desire,it's their site and I don't pay for it. I do pay for the site where my photos are stored and their instructions are crystal clear. Also Accurate Reloading presents no problem either. Sorry,as I have quite a few guns I am very proud of, some of my own building some of others.

zimhunter
.333 member

#85736 - 16/09/07 10:41 AM

Mehul,
Just for my edification, since I would probably NEVER have had Marilyn Monroe on my arm in any case as she was not a favorite of mine in the looks department, what is a chador. Maybe I WOULD have liked her in one.

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
Re: Siamese mauser [Re: Tatume]
      #85750 - 16/09/07 05:28 PM

Quote:

This is what the FAQ has to say about it. As I don't have a web server, I haven't tried it.

How do I add an image to my message?
In order to add an image to your message or your signature, you must have the image already available on a web server. This can be an image on your own personal web page, for example. To place an image within a message, simply use the following Markup Tag:

For example, if you have an image called cateye.gif and its available from your own website at http://www.mywebsite.com/pics, then you would use the following image markup:

You can do the same for your signature. Click the option found on any page. Then, under the Main Configuration heading, click on "Personal Information, email, password...". Look for the Signature box, and enter your desired information, including any images/markup as above.

Note: To keep the forums loading quickly for everyone, it is recommended that you do not exceed 35k for your image size.

make sure to right click on the picture and get the specific picture propeties to insert this is the major thing that goes wrong with picture posting.

peter

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #85767 - 17/09/07 12:02 AM

Quote:

Amen to that. I have had no difficulty in posting pictures on frappr.com, but this forum has totally defeated me.

Post the photos on a suitable web photo hosting site that allows the photos to be displayed elsewhere on the net.

Use the - image - code within square brackets eg ["image"] before the web address of the photo and also after it to terminate it with a slash [/"image"] .

Remove the quotation marks from code above, used so the code will show as text.

eg

["image"]http://MyPhotoHostingSite.com/memberX/photo3.jpg[/"image"]

Edited to add:

Also there is an "Instant UBB Code" below the message "post" window when editing or adding a new post. Just click on it and copy the photo web address into the box which opens.

To copy a photo web address easily in IE, right click on it, choose internet properties and highlight the web address. Right click on it and click on copy. Then click in the "image" box on NE and right click and PASTE.

In Firefox there is a "copy image address" (or location) menu item when right clicking.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (17/09/07 12:40 AM)

zimhunter
.333 member

Re: Siamese mauser [Re: NitroX]
      #85769 - 17/09/07 01:11 AM

I have tried ALL the above methods numerous times to no avail. If the site operators wish to make it this confusing and difficult so be it. I have no real reason to post as I can look at the real thing anytime.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#85772 - 17/09/07 01:30 AM

Quote:

I have tried ALL the above methods numerous times to no avail. If the site operators wish to make it this confusing and difficult so be it. I have no real reason to post as I can look at the real thing anytime.

A bit of information often helps make it easier to help members. Where are you trying to post from?

It may be necessary to contact the admins of the photo forum and get them to add NE to their list of acceptable sites for their photos to display to. Which is why it may work for some sites and not for others.

This software works very similar to the sites you mention. BTW the 'operators' of this site are its members.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #85773 - 17/09/07 02:08 AM

Quote:

: I use Photobucket and have never had difficulty posting pictures to 4 different gun-related forums including this one. Although the format required, differs slightly from forum to forum it is all basic - square brackets with the word image or IMG then square bracket at the front of the url, then square bracket then a black-slash and image or IMG then square bracket at the end of the url. Quite simple actually. [ image ] u r l [ / image ] without the spaces between words, slash or brackets.\
; You cannot post pictures directly from your computer. They must be published to the net first.
: Hope this helps.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

zimhunter
.333 member

Re: Siamese mauser [Re: DarylS]
      #85793 - 17/09/07 07:22 AM

Thank you all for your kind suggestions. It is appreciated. I do have my photos on a hosted paid site specifically for that purpose. As to who owns and operates the forum,someone pays for the space and someone administers the site and makes the regulations it doesn't just happen by some accident and I for one appreciate these people for doing this and making it available for us to enjoy. While I don't consider myself in any way proficient on the net or with PC's I am familiar with computers having spent the biggest part of 30+ years in the business of programming and operating everything in the second and third generation of computers. I don't now nor have I ever understood the reason to make something more difficult than necessary. I must not be the only one who is confused by this operation as this is the singular operation that I hear people complain about on all the Forums I participate in. If it wern't so confusing there would not be the necessity for sites like Photobucket existing for the singular purpose to host and distribute pictures.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#85799 - 17/09/07 11:20 AM

Quote:

I do have my photos on a hosted paid site specifically for that purpose.

Which site please?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

zimhunter
.333 member

Re: Siamese mauser [Re: NitroX]
      #85804 - 17/09/07 01:21 PM

Roadfly

mehulkamdar
.416 member

#85841 - 18/09/07 10:38 AM

Zimhunter,

Sorry about the problems you've had. Most of us use www.photobucket.com and www.hunt101.com and we don't have any problems. In any case, if you find it difficult to post pictures and would like one of us to post, let us know. We would be happy to do that if you e-mailed one of us the pics.

BTW, if Marilyn Monroe does not fit your tastes, just substitute her name with whoever's does. There are many beautiful women in the world and many equally beautiful rifles! The chador is the Arabic "tent" dress that covers women from head to foot. So whom should I speak about when I ask you to post pictures of your guns? Scarlett Johannson?

Good hunting!

--------------------

Mehul Kamdar

zimhunter
.333 member

Re: Siamese mauser [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #85844 - 18/09/07 11:30 AM

Mehul,
Thanks for the explanation and the offer, I was not familiar with the word at all. I hate to say it but I have no idea who Scarlett Johansson is. I'm afraid I'm not very up to date on womens looks. I don't really have any FAVORITES that come to mind other than my late wife. Her name was Mary.

mehulkamdar
.416 member

#86211 - 26/09/07 11:44 AM

Zimhunter,

My condolences. She must have been a magnificent lady.

I know your feelings exactly - am married now but I have some feelings inside me that I shall take to the grave.

Best wishes and if you need any help with posting pictures, just let me know.

--------------------

Mehul Kamdar

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 90 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7313

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com