Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Coues deer ---- best cartirdge/rifle/scope combo?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
AzGuy
.333 member

Reged: 23/03/06
Loc: Prescott, Arizona, USA
Coues deer ---- best cartirdge/rifle/scope combo?
      #71204 - 11/02/07 09:57 AM

I started hunting the very small Coues deer (large buck goes 150 pounds)here in Arizona and Mexico.
I've been using a 270 Win/Remington KS Mtn rifle/2.5x8 Leupold with good results. Looking to upgrade. Any suggestions?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
banzaibird
.333 member

Reged: 18/09/05
Loc: S.C. Pennsylvania, USA
Re: Coues deer ---- best cartirdge/rifle/scope combo? [Re: AzGuy]
      #71206 - 11/02/07 10:18 AM

I was fortunate to hunt Coues a couple of times. Took one buck, a 6 point. Anyway I used a Ruger #1 RSI in 7x57. I liked it and it was about all I could hope for in a rifle. I went with another guy and he used a .257 Roberts built on a Mexican Mauser. He had to shoot his buck as second time. though to be fair the first shot was a little far back.

Now we used guns we already had in or safe's. If I were to specially look for a rifle I'd look real hard at nice slim single shot in a round that gave ballistics similar to the 25-06. Perhaps the 6.5x65R? What's wrong with the .270?

Bill

AzGuy
.333 member

Reged: 23/03/06
Loc: Prescott, Arizona, USA
Re: Coues deer ---- best cartirdge/rifle/scope combo? [Re: banzaibird]
      #71209 - 11/02/07 10:54 AM

Nothing wrong with the 270 or my current setup, just toying with the idea of a "Coues rifle". The shots are often 350+ yards and the country is "steep". A very lightweight, accurate bolt action in 243 or 25 cal is probably the way to go.

banzaibird
.333 member

Reged: 18/09/05
Loc: S.C. Pennsylvania, USA
      #71216 - 11/02/07 12:40 PM

I'd as I said give some serious thought to a single shot. Preferably one with a 26" barrel. This will give you a few more inches to build a littel more velocity. Even with the 26" barrel it will probably be shorter than a bolt with a 24". If you go with a higher quality/price action to start with it should be sized to the round and the gun will/should weigh less than a bolt as well. Though you sound tempted to go smaller than 25 cal I wouldn't do it. The heavier bullets of a slightly larger caliber will hold their velocity and energy better for those long shots.

Bill

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
      #71217 - 11/02/07 12:55 PM

I would consider the 270 WSM,the 270 Wby,
the 7 mag, 7 WSM,and even the old 264 WM.

The 270 has excellent heavier bullets with decent BC's(150gr@.525BC) to fly further predictably.

You may also wish to get an optilogic range finder to compensate for the up/down shooting angles and get the actual horizontal distance to shoot encountered in the mountains.

Sounds like fun!!

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Riodot
.224 member

Reged: 30/07/05
Loc: Casa Grande, AZ
Re: Coues deer ---- best cartirdge/rifle/scope combo? [Re: hoppdoc]
      #77664 - 30/04/07 05:46 AM

My Coues Deer rifle is a 300 Wby Vanguard with a 4-12x40 scope.
The bullets I use are 168gr Barnes TSX bullets.
I got rid of the tupperware stock, restocked it in a custom maple burl stock and fiberglass bedded it.
Also added a Simms Barrel Deresonator which tightened the groups some.

It a bit of overkill for little deer but it works for the longer shots.

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: Coues deer ---- best cartirdge/rifle/scope combo? [Re: Riodot]
      #77676 - 30/04/07 10:14 AM

I am the last one to say that anyone is overgunned for potential long range shooting!!

I am the guy hunting Elk with a 338-378 WBY cause my 300 Ultra didn't seem to put them down pronto at distance and hit them hard enough!!

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

allenday
.333 member

Reged: 18/04/04
      #78551 - 13/05/07 12:41 AM

The first couple of times that I hunted Coues deer, I used a custom Model 70 300 Win. Mag. with a fairly heavy, fluted 26" bbl. and a Leupold 6.5-20x scope. It was a nuisance to carry in the mountains, so I sold it.

After that, I went with another custom M70 300 Win. Mag., only this one had a McMillan stock, a light 24" bbl, and a Leupold 4.5-14x on top. This was a much more practical rifle to carry, and it worked just fine. I'd hunt with it anywhere, at least where that level of power is really warranted, which I don't think it is for Coues deer.

The next time I hunt Coues deer, I'm taking a light custom Model 70 in 270 Win. with a 22" bbl. with a McMillan stock and a Leupold 2.5-8x scope.

So you see a trend developing: I'm going shorter, lighter, and handier, and I hope -- smarter. Amoung other big game animals in other places, I've hunted mule deer here in Oregon for many years with a light 270 Win., and often those bucks were taken at long range. Coues deer are nowhere near as big or as tough as mule deer, and besides, the 270 Win. shoots just as flat as the 300 Win. Mag. does, so there's no way to be undergunned by selecting a 270 for Coues deer hunting.

In short, I don't think I'll be giving up anything by going with a 270 instead of the 300...........

AD

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Coues deer ---- best cartirdge/rifle/scope combo? [Re: allenday]
      #88647 - 10/11/07 12:36 PM

For the species being hunted I agree totally with Allenday... no reason for anything over a 270--if you do your part, ie; practice, check your loads and know how to shoot... it will do as good a job as any...as most experienced hunters will tell you.. it's not the size of the club as much as where you hit them...

I have seen many elk drop to the shot here in Montana to guns as small as a .220 Swift--again, bullet placement is everything especially when you go that light..and I do not prefer to go light..personally I use primarily 30 calibers if I am strictly hunting elk and have never had one get away--period.

If I was going on a Coues deer hunt--I would use either my .257 Weatherby or .264 Win mag--both very flat shooting and I really like the guns therefore I shoot them better at really long ranges..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Coues deer ---- best cartirdge/rifle/scope combo? [Re: Ripp]
      #88659 - 10/11/07 02:57 PM

One of the Ruger woodstocked Ultralights in .270 sounds like a winner, to me.

Which is another way of saying your current rig is tops and would be very hard to beat!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Coues deer ---- best cartirdge/rifle/scope combo? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #88694 - 11/11/07 08:52 AM

My son actually had a Tikka in .270 that will shoot 1" groups all day long with various loads--just another choice--pretty good little shooter for the money..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Pancho
.224 member

Reged: 08/03/04
Loc: Roswell, NM
Re: Coues deer ---- best cartirdge/rifle/scope combo? [Re: Ripp]
      #88946 - 14/11/07 11:45 AM

The perfect Coues rifle = 264 WM
I prefer the old Nosler 120 gr solid base but the 125 partition is acceptable though not as accurate.

--------------------
RA "Pancho" Maples
LTC, USAR, Ret

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3174

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com