Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The .450 #2 passes the test with flying colours!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Ron_Vella
.333 member

Reged: 29/04/05
Loc: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Re: The .450 #2 passes the test with flying colours! [Re: 4seventy]
      #71201 - 11/02/07 08:37 AM

Thank you all for the kind words. It's nice to be able to share the end result of so much blood, sweat, and tears with folks who understand and appreciate.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
Re: The .450 #2 passes the test with flying colours! [Re: Ron_Vella]
      #71356 - 13/02/07 06:36 AM

Ron,

Thanks for the story and all the pictures! I'm impressed!

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

Ron_Vella
.333 member

Re: The .450 #2 passes the test with flying colours! [Re: 4seventy]
      #122441 - 28/12/08 12:58 AM

I'm bringing this back to the front of the queue in hopes that Roscoe can open the photos which are now designated as red "x"'s. I will try to take some photos of the completed gun today and forward them to him for posting. My digital camera is not focusing very well in close-uos for some reason but I'll see what I can do.

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
      #122443 - 28/12/08 01:42 AM

Ron, I can't do anything with the "red X's" Those photos are gone off the other guy's server, or something. If you still have the photos that you sent him for posting you can send them to me and I can load them to the NE.com server and fix them.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
Re: The .450 #2 passes the test with flying colours! [Re: CptCurl]
      #122502 - 28/12/08 08:33 PM

Ron try the Micro setting on you camera , I think I have a few of the photos if you have lost them !

Ron_Vella
.333 member

Re: The .450 #2 passes the test with flying colours! [Re: Sarg]
      #122511 - 29/12/08 12:41 AM

Sarg,
In fact, I HAVE lost them. My internet server went to a different set-up for photo storage about 6 months ago. When they did that, I lost everything that I had saved.

Ron.

Sarg
.400 member

#122543 - 29/12/08 08:56 AM

I will have a dig around in my computer and find them !

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Re: The .450 #2 passes the test with flying colours! [Re: banzaibird]
      #122562 - 29/12/08 01:20 PM

Quote:

Posting Pics for Ron.

1) My workshop, AKA the "Sanctum Sanctorum"

2) Rifle barrels, screwed and soldered into the monoblock. Top rib and sights set in place.

3) Close-up view of quarter rib with Weaver bases screwed and welded into place. Rear sight is a NECG from Brownell's, and has been rough-filed for elevation.

4) Hi-Viz front sight and NECG window hood from Brownells. Top rib is from Crown Press but I have modified it a great deal.

5) You can just make out the seam here between the rifle barrels and the monoblock.

6) Bottom view of rifle barrels with bottom rib from Crown Press screwed into place and sling swivel base installed. I like to screw the ribs into the barrel spacers, as well as soldering them. This takes some of the load off of the solder joints when you're carrying a heavy rifle on a sling. It also ensures that the rib is not going to let go and leave you stranded in the middle of Africa.

7) The rifle barrels on the action with the fitted shotgun barrels below. Note that both sets of barrels have their own forearm assembly and all pieces are now serial-numbered alike.

8) A second view of the same.

9) Close-up view of Leupold Vari-X III, 1.5x-5x, clamped onto Weawer bases with Leupold QRW rings.

10) Over-all view of the same.

11) Looking down the iron sights.

12) This is the steel Weaver base stock from Brownells that I welded on to the rear of the top rib from Crown Press and milled as seen in photos.

13) View of barrels, spacers TIG-welded into position, muzzle wedge in place, and both ribs lying below.

14) Quarter rib with the front QD base removed from its mortise. I matted the quarter rib and the front ramp with a 50 LPI checkering file,

15, 16, & 17) close-up views of barrel spacers, welded into place.

Ron and Sarg,

That got most of them. If you can find the others represented by the dreaded "Red x" let me know.

Glad I could help out.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

Robgunbuilder
.275 member

Reged: 18/02/04
Re: The .450 #2 passes the test with flying colours! [Re: Chasseur]
      #122609 - 30/12/08 05:00 AM

Ronvella- What nice work! You have done yoursel proud! Congrats and thanks for sharing with us!-Rob

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Re: The .450 #2 passes the test with flying colours! [Re: Robgunbuilder]
      #122624 - 30/12/08 11:31 AM

More photos from Ronvella:

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

Ron_Vella
.333 member

Re: The .450 #2 passes the test with flying colours! [Re: CptCurl]
      #122632 - 30/12/08 01:50 PM

Many thanks to CaptCurl for posting these photos for me. Here's a brief explanation of them. Roscoe, feel free to move these under each photo if you like.

#1: The completed gun in its fitted case with all of the accessories. I turned the snap caps, oil bottle, vaseline bottle, spare firing pin cannister, and spare front sight insert cannister on my lathe, from brass. I also made the firing pin bushing wrench, chamber brush, and interchangeable-bit screwdriver, from walnut, steel, and brass. There is a hidden compartment under the Butler Creek scope caps which holds a supply of bore patches. There is another hidden compartment under the tools which holds all of the bore brushes, jags, screwdriver bits, etc.

#2 & 3: Rifle barrels assembled to the action with the shotgun barrels below.

#4: Quarter rib and rear sight. For some reason, the flash on my camera washes out the colour and makes these polished, deep blue surfaces look silver. I went to a local jeweller and bought a piece of 1.5mm diameter platinum wire from him. I used one of my screw-slitting files to cut, then undercut the vertical line in the express sight. I then used a hammer and a brass drift to tap the platinum wire down into that slot, then dressed it all off, polished it, and blued it. The Brits had this platinum insert thing 100% right. There is something about the stuff that just grabs your eye, regardless of lighting conditions.

#5 & 6: Here's the gun in front of what I built it to do. I took this Cape Buffalo in Zambia with a .458 bolt gun that I built about twenty years ago. Now I aim to go back and take a second one with the .450 #2 NE that I'm holding.

#7: Self-explanatory.

#8: View of the Hi-Viz front sight. This, combined with the platinum insert in the rear express, is a great combo. Everone who has handled this rifle, comments first on how much they love the sights.

Edited by ronvella (30/12/08 01:55 PM)

Sarg
.400 member

#123480 - 09/01/09 10:05 PM

Now Ron , don't you need a Big Water Buffalo or Bantang to go with that Cape Buff ? ?

Ron_Vella
.333 member

#123557 - 10/01/09 06:44 AM

Sarg,

We get a TV channel here called WILD-TV which features 24-hour a day hunting and fishing shows. A few days ago, I watched Jim Shockey's son, Branlin, take a HUGE water buffalo, head-on, at FOUR YARDS, while hunting with HuntAustralia. Got my blood boiling and got me to thinking about a matched set.

Sarg
.400 member

#123567 - 10/01/09 07:57 AM

Ron ,

The Water Buff are a fair bit bigger in body & horn so may over shadow even a very nice Cape Buff
& if you like we can muck up the hunt and get you Tossed for story value ! ( of cause it may not be your story any more ,LOL) Yes that hunt was with one of the Outfits I work for .
So just throw a couple 577BPE barrels on a English Wild fowler shotty & we are off .

Keep it in mind if you do want a go .

Many years ago one of our Hunters was gored by a Bantang (only a small non fatal wound) when the outffiter saw his daughter at SCI and asked how he was she said it was the greatest thing to happen to him , soon after he saw the guy with his shirt up showing off his scars !
The whole thing had rejuvenated her father!

Birdhunter50
.375 member

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: Iowa,U.S.A.
      #123857 - 13/01/09 12:27 AM

Ron,
Very Nice! I am impressed with your rifle and your dedication to doing the very best you can on this gun. It turned out to be a great example of the gunmakers art. I am also very interested in some of your methods and techniques and I'm sending you a P.M. about them. Thanks for sharing this great rifle project with all of us. Bob H.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: The .450 #2 passes the test with flying colours! [Re: Birdhunter50]
      #275534 - 23/12/15 05:35 PM

BTTT for one member.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10838

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com