Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Finally joined the club!!!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
homemadeDR
.224 member

Reged: 02/12/05
Loc: Colorado, USA
Finally joined the club!!!
      #70339 - 28/01/07 02:41 PM

I can't hardly believe it but I finally shot my first DR!

As my user name states I am building a DR from a CZ shotgun. I bought a used 12GA Bobwhite about 18 months ago. Although I have restocked a couple of rifles I have never taken a blow torch to a gun before. What a rush! After unsoldering the ribs I cut the barrels between the forend hook and the mono block. Then I unsoldered the hook and finally unsoldered the barrels from the mono block.

My gunsmith (Todd Lockburner) fitted the barrels and the extractor. After reading Mr. Brown's book I was anxious to do a lot of the fitting myself but Todd was doing such a great job that I decided better safe than sorry. He had a special tap made to thread the mono block and threaded the barrels to match. Threaded front to back of the mono block! No solder.

We were both a little scared at the moment of truth. Of course we used a string and fired it from around the corner so we weren't afraid for our safety. But scared none the less! That first shot was one of the sweetest I have ever heard..... After 4 shots with 10% heavier loads and 2 with standard loads we claimed success. After examination of the spent brass Todd is sure that we exceeded 55 PSI with the proof loads.

A couple of weeks later (after detailed examination) Todd called me and then came the moment of exhilaration. We assembled the rifle, dropped in a couple of rounds and touched it off. My grin nearly touched my ears.

What did we build? My first DR had to be a 470 NE! The largest caliber I had shot until then was a 300 Win Mag so I must admit to being a bit apprehensive. But I was very pleasantly surprised. Todd said the muzzle flip was only about 12". Felt Great!

I loaded 500 Grain Woodleighs with several different loads of IMR 4350 (101, 102, and 104 grains. We only remembered the Chrono after shooting the first loads but the 104 grain load measured 2167 fps.

The next steps are all mine! Regulating. I look forward to every shot.

I have a couple of photos to post but don't have a home page.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Finally joined the club!!! [Re: homemadeDR]
      #70341 - 28/01/07 02:49 PM

Congratulations. A photo hosting site is a good way to go. Try photobucket.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

banzaibird
.333 member

Reged: 18/09/05
Loc: S.C. Pennsylvania, USA
Re: Finally joined the club!!! [Re: mickey]
      #70344 - 28/01/07 03:57 PM

Homemade,

Congrats, If you would please keep us informed ont he progress of your gun. The reason I ask is because I've made a couple of DR's on the CZ but nothing as large as the 470 chambering. I'd be interested to hear how it is in a couple of hundred rounds. The one I had in 30-40 had almost 900 rounds through it and was still tight and on face. I've been thinking about trying to squeeze a 38-55 onto a 410 size action.

Bill

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Finally joined the club!!! [Re: banzaibird]
      #70349 - 28/01/07 05:08 PM

Congratulations.

Send the photos to me

Photos AT NitroExpress.com

Drop me a PM when you send the photos, as I only check that email address occaisionally.

Please don't send photos to my normal email address as it continually fills up.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

homemadeDR
.224 member

Re: Finally joined the club!!! [Re: NitroX]
      #70790 - 04/02/07 03:02 PM

I joined Photobucket so lets see if I can figure out how to post photo's.

475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
Re: Finally joined the club!!! [Re: homemadeDR]
      #70791 - 04/02/07 03:51 PM

Very nice wood. Is your project done? I didn't notice any sights on your DR.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

Edited by 475Guy (04/02/07 03:52 PM)

homemadeDR
.224 member

Re: Finally joined the club!!! (photo's added) [Re: 475Guy]
      #70805 - 05/02/07 05:05 AM

475Guy

Far from done. Although the gun is tilted away from the camera you're right in that there are no sights yet. As you can see from the close up photo the barrels are slightly oversized from the mono block. So my first step was to refit the forend hook and the forend stock. I have the spacers about ready but want to fit them with some make shift sights. Then once I high temp solder the forend hook I am out to the range to begin regulating.

banzaibird
.333 member

Re: Finally joined the club!!! (photo's added) [Re: homemadeDR]
      #70807 - 05/02/07 05:25 AM

So what are you going to do to make the monoblock junction smooth? Or are you going to let the step there?

Bill

homemadeDR
.224 member

Re: Finally joined the club!!! (photo's added) [Re: banzaibird]
      #70865 - 06/02/07 05:12 AM

Banziabird

Todd roughed the barrels down on the lathe. Further refinement on the lathe would take several iterations of pulling the barrels on and off and extra money that I don't want to spend there so I think that it is up to me, a file, and some emery cloth now.

Todd is leaning heavy toward high temp silver solder (Silvaloy 355 which flows at 1205 degrees) for the forend hook and spacers, and low temp silver (Hi Force 44) for the ribs. I'm leaning more toward Hi Force 44 Hi-temp (flows at 650 degrees) for the spacers and forend hook, and regular Hi force (flows at 475 degrees) for the ribs (corrected and added more detail). What have you used on your builds?

Dan

Edited by homemadeDR (06/02/07 05:58 AM)

homemadeDR
.224 member

#70866 - 06/02/07 05:14 AM

Banzaibird

Oops, sorry for the mis-spelling

Dan

banzaibird
.333 member

#70872 - 06/02/07 06:33 AM

Well, If you have read back through old posts you will see that I made mention that soldering is/was one of my problem areas. In an effort to try to fix that I've used almost everything that Brownells offers .

Currently the barrel set I’m using is made via shoe-lump method. I used Fusion brands DMX1269-750 for wedding the shoe lump to the barrels. The quarter rib, forend hook and swivel mount all were placed using Hi-Temp Hi-Force. Then the ribs and front sight were laid using Hi-Force 44. In copious amounts and then a lot of scraping and clean-up (which still isn’t done). That gives me a spread of temperatures that if I need to use a torch on any area would hopefully give me some leeway from getting everything to flow stage at the same time.

I used the silvaloy ribbon and liked that as well for the first shoe lump barrels I made. However a friend had the Fusion and it is a “no run” silver alloy that I used on a Jones underlever project and it minimized my cleanup dramatically. Though it wouldn’t be very practical for laying ribs because there you want the wicking action to get solder down under the ribs. On the guns I monoblocked I had also partially threaded and used the Hi-Temp Hi-Force and pre-tinned well.

Currently I have access to a proper oven/furnace to braze the lump onto the barrels but supposed you could use a torch. One thing that I found made laying the ribs especially and actually all the soldering easier was making an assembly that pre-heats the barrels then use the torch to get a specific are just a bit hotter for laying in solder. If you watch the Chapius video that is online it shows the basic set-up that I use because I copied the idea of it from the video.

Bill

banzaibird
.333 member

#70873 - 06/02/07 06:35 AM

Oh I forgot to add you would only need to pull the barrels off once more. Then measure the outside diameter of the front of the monoblock barrel. Then simply turn the maximum size of the barrel shaft to that same diameter or a few thousandths under. Then re-insert.

Bill

banzaibird
.333 member

#70874 - 06/02/07 06:41 AM

Oh I also recommend some soldering talc and some instant blue. The talc will aid in reducing cleanup and the blue is effective at pointing out whats solder and whats metal.

Bill

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 98 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4245

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com