Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Shotgun to Rifle Conversion/Shotgun Slug Gun

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1
30WCF
.224 member

Reged: 30/10/04
Shotgun to Rifle Conversion/Shotgun Slug Gun
      #69277 - 11/01/07 05:20 AM

Greetings all, I have posted previously however due to my government job i've been pre-occupied. Anyway my previous post were pertaining to building side by side rifles from shotgun actions. My two builds were sleeving rifle barrels inside shotgun barrels. Both worked well however nothing more than a heavy shotgun. I have since began building a side by side rifle utilizing some of the methods of Ellis Brown. The donor gun is a LC Smith 16 ga and the barrels are fitted (to monobloc) chambered for 30-30 Winchester 26 inches long. I believe I have sucessfully proofed the gun with proof loads that I built from information obtained on this site. I took measurements of the action and barrels as suggested from this site prior to shooting and after shooting with no change. Expecting the worse since the LC Smith is not a preferred choice for a conversion of this type, I shot two more proof loads and took measurements again with no change. I am assembling all my notes and intend to put this project in book form. Ellis Brown's book is a wealth of information however I don't think to much can be written about side by side's. If uncle sam let's me stay state side for any length of time I will keep all updated.
A quick note reference side by side slug guns, I have acquired a Baker 12 Ga side by side with 23 inch barrels, I have fitted with open sights and zeroed in the right barrel to point of aim at 50 yards. The left barrel shot eight inches to the right and elevation O.K. I made a contoured wedge 2 inches long and straped it underneath the barrels with a automotive type hose clamp. From the muzzle end the wedge lays on the underib and extends across the contour of the left barrel, but not the right barrel. It may sound like a knot on a log but its nicely shaped, anyway I began shooting the left barrel and moving the wedge back towards the sling swivel stud. At first I noticed very little movement in POI however as I ajusted the weight of the wedge and position significant point of impact changes occurred. Finally with the wedge 1.75inches in front of the sling swivel stud the left barrel shoots to point of aim. Both barrels group 3 inches at 50 yards. I attached the wedge permanently and now wonder if I have simply found something that is common knowledge or the regulation gods granted me a stay.
Happy New Year to all

Mark

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
Re: Shotgun to Rifle Conversion/Shotgun Slug Gun [Re: 30WCF]
      #69282 - 11/01/07 06:47 AM

I have read that american shotgun actions is not so well made for DR...no proofmarks.

Here is a link for very good action for building a DR:

http://www.lauritz.com/Item/Item.aspx?La...dFalse%23897876

tatwell
.224 member

Reged: 31/08/03
Loc: Columbia, SC
      #70369 - 29/01/07 01:52 AM

You have me interested in what you did to regulate the shotgun barrels. Every so often I come back to the idea of putting sights, sling studs, etc. on a double- but I never seem to get by the regulation issue. I seem to remember some time ago reading about at least one that had been regulated by judicious removal of metal from the inside of the muzzles, I have not tried this myself but I can see how it could work. But what you described, assuming I understand it correctly, is interesting. When you say you used a wedge, are you saying that you did not separate the barrels? And that what you did was, in effect, add weight to the left barrel with the wedge and that by moving its location on the barrel you changed the impact of that barrel? I see how this might work, I just want to be sure I understood you correctly. Your experiment has provided me with some food for thought.

tatwell
.224 member

Reged: 31/08/03
Loc: Columbia, SC
Re: Shotgun to Rifle Conversion/Shotgun Slug Gun [Re: tatwell]
      #70370 - 29/01/07 01:54 AM

Sorry, I see that you did give the length of the wedge. I just read your post too fast. Sorry again.

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

Reged: 24/03/04
Loc: Western Australia
      #71718 - 16/02/07 11:14 PM

What about a pic of the knot on the log.
Al

--------------------
"Dogs always bark at their master"
Sir Seretse Khama.25th June 1949

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Shotgun to Rifle Conversion/Shotgun Slug Gun [Re: ALAN_MCKENZIE]
      #71753 - 17/02/07 12:15 PM

Yes. I'm interested in a pic too, if you can do it.

The normal way to regulate shotguns or paradox guns is to 'pack' the barrels around their mid-point, or slightly forward of the mid-point. This causes the barrels to bow outwards slightly, to cause convergence at the muzzles, which are invariably left touching.

On those I have re-regulated, the packing has been made from a thin strip of soft metal folded multiple times. I presume it was made too large, and then individual folds snipped off until the gun regulated. The whole lot is then sweated in place with solder or tin, and the ribs relaid.

I'll try to find a photo, think I took one on the last job.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Ron_Vella
.333 member

Reged: 29/04/05
Loc: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Re: Shotgun to Rifle Conversion/Shotgun Slug Gun [Re: Marrakai]
      #71786 - 17/02/07 11:55 PM

Tony,
I used to spend hours filing up contoured blocks to fit between the barrels. Then a local British-trained gunsmith showed me how THEY do it. He takes an empty tin can and a pair of tinsnips, cuts a one inch wide strip out of it, about six inches long, and then starts folding it over and over until he achieves the necessary thickness. The surplus is cut off and voila! I couldn't believe my eyes, but that's how it's done.

Edited by ronvella (18/02/07 03:44 AM)

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Shotgun to Rifle Conversion/Shotgun Slug Gun [Re: Ron_Vella]
      #71800 - 18/02/07 03:19 AM

The X-Ray images of a few of my double rifles and shotguns (my J&W Tolley included) show in detail the method Ron speaks of.

--Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Shotgun to Rifle Conversion/Shotgun Slug Gun [Re: tinker]
      #71843 - 18/02/07 10:27 AM

Tinker:
Ron and I are talking about the same thing. Here's a photo from a William Griffiths shotgun I re-regulated for RC Slugs last year:

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1539

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com