Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: New Year's Father-Daughter Hunt – Hind Sight

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
Charles_Helm
.333 member

Reged: 09/11/05
Loc: Dallas, Texas
New Year's Father-Daughter Hunt – Hind Sight
      #68659 - 03/01/07 02:50 PM

They say that hind-sight is 20/20 so a few lessons I can take away from the past couple of days are:

1. When you decide to blood a new rifle be sure you understand all of the possible implications.

2. Pink clothes and luggage and ballet slippers are okay in hunting camp depending solely on whose they are!

3. If the weather is going to be cold, take extra camera batteries and a charger for rechargeables because you will need them!

4. Don’t sweat the little things that go wrong and you will have a good time.

This has been a very busy last couple of months at work, with a lot of early mornings and late nights. Just before Christmas I realized that the kids had started their Christmas break and I had not made any plans to take them hunting. When I gave up the lease in south Texas I had promised that they would get to go hunting and time was running out if I wanted to take advantage of their vacation.

I called Wendell Reich of Hunter's Quest. Wendell had worked with me on my trip to Namibia and has the Red Bluff Ranch outside Quanah., Texas. I was looking for a doe hunt for my oldest but the time for taking whitetail does had passed in Hardeman County (without special permits). The ranch has some exotics and Wendell has more red deer hinds (females) than he needs for his management plans. We discussed whether my daughter could take one with her rifle in .22-250 and he felt she could with the proper shot. We planned the hunt for the 27-28 of December and I scrambled to get ready.

The weather did not cooperate and we ended up rescheduling for the 31st and the 1st. I knew my youngest was excited when she was the first to show up downstairs on Sunday in camo from head to toe – almost. I sent her upstairs to change out of the black shoes with sequins into some more suitable shoes and we loaded up and headed out. We had made a trip to the indoor range but needed to shoot our rifles at 100 yards to check them and Wendell said we could do that at the ranch. While we were en route and after a quick stop at the Bowie Wal-Mart to replace a missing hunting license Wendell called to say that there was no rush as the wind was blowing very hard and we would not be able to shoot until later in the afternoon. The wind was blowing so hard that I heard noises in the truck I have never heard before.

We arrived at the ranch and unloaded our gear. The lodge that Wendell is building is very nice and was a nice warm break from the cold wind. It is a work in progress and not quite finished but was comfortable.

You would have thought we were staying for a week with all we unloaded, but we were just staying one night. I had the girls dress warmly as the cool temperatures and high wind made it quite chilly. We headed out to shoot in the afternoon and discovered the guns both needed a bit of adjustment. Wendell was very patient while we got that done. Because I knew we could not fit all five of us in one blind I asked Wendell to take my oldest and put me in a separate blind with the other two. Because it took longer at the range than I expected I suggested he leave us at the lodge to improve Emily's chances of success. He showed me where a feeder was located a short ways down the hill from the lodge and we headed down the hill while he took Emily to the blind.

We watched the feeder and saw two whitetail bucks and five does/yearlings before Miranda and Mercedes got too cold.

We headed back up the hill to the lodge just before sunset. I took some pictures outside and heard a single shot just before dark.

Wendell and Emily returned and she had been successful on a pretty large hind.

After we (okay, Wendell) skinned the deer we had rib eyes and baked potatoes for our New Year's Eve dinner, followed later by sparkling grape juice to bring in the New Year. (I was tired so we celebrated that a couple of time zones early).

I decided to take a turn the next morning and when Wendell asked how I wanted to hunt I asked for a spot and stalk rather than a blind hunt. Clever me, that gave us extra time to sleep in the next the morning.

The girls all turned out to accompany me the next morning.

We quickly located a group of red deer feeding in a grassy area in the river bottom. We backtracked and Wendell, Emily and I climbed up a small hill to get a vantage point from which to shoot. I was having trouble getting a solid shooting position so Wendell suggested I shoot prone from a small mound of dirt at the edge of the bluff. That did the trick and I made the shot. I lost the hind in the recoil and as I cycled the action on the rifle I noticed my head was killing me. I looked up at Wendell and told him that the scope had gotten me. As I looked back down I saw blood on the scope – it was my first trip with the .375 H&H and I had blooded it in more ways than one on New Year's Day! Note to self – if you must shoot the .375 prone, do not crawl the stock to get a better view though the scope, and hold it very firmly…I knew better but forgot in the excitement of the moment.

My daughter loaned me a nice flowered handkerchief and we got back down to the others, cleaned me up and then took some pictures.

With Wendell doing most of the work we got both deer quartered and into the coolers. I had just over 200 quarts of coolers in the truck and all of them were full.

It seemed to take forever to pack all of our gear but we got loaded up and on the road before noon (after one more quick picture showing the view from the back of the lodge).

We made it back home in the late afternoon. It was a quick trip but all of the girls really enjoyed it. I made the run to Kuby's Sausage House this morning and the quarters, necks, ribs, backstraps, and tenders weighed almost 250 pounds in the aggregate. We have quite a bit of meat coming!

The pictures are not the best because my camera batteries were low, aggravated by the low temperatures. Despite the missing hunting license, the adverse weather, the camera problems, the rifle issues (for which I am solely responsible), and my involuntary blood donation, everyone had a great time.

A note on caliber selection, bullet choice and shot placement. Both my daughter's hind and mine dropped quickly even though we made radically different caliber choices.

She was shooting a .22-250 with the Federal Premium 60 grain Nosler Partition. She made the shot just behind the shoulder and the bullet exited after doing a great job. I was shooting the Remington green box 270-grain soft point load and it also exited after going though one shoulder and the heart. We spend a lot of time debating caliber choice and I would not recommend the .22-250 here (we had picked it for whitetail and hogs) but with proper shot placement and a quality bullet it did as good a job as my .375.

It was a great way to see 2006 end and 2007 begin and the girls are ready to go again any time.

[Click images for larger versions.]

--------------------
Some pictures from Namibia

Some pictures from Zimbabwe

An Elephant Story

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: New Year's Father-Daughter Hunt – Hind Sight [Re: Charles_Helm]
      #68696 - 03/01/07 11:00 PM

Charles:
Great story and beaut photos, really enjoyed it. I have two daughters who love to hunt, sadly both left home but my eldest was posted back to Darwin last year, leaving her 'ex' behind, and moved back in with us! She's away a lot, but we enjoy our time together greatly. Our youngest is at uni but is visiting on-and-off during these hols, flies in tonight from Thailand, gone again tomorrow night.

What I'm getting around to saying is: enjoy the time you have together, before you know it they grow up and move on.
Time is the enemy.

Luckily we have good memories and a very fat photo-album! Looks like you're well on the way to building yours!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #68697 - 03/01/07 11:14 PM

Charles,

Loved the story and all the pretty blondies!

Well done.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

foxfire
.375 member

Reged: 25/11/04
Loc: Long Island N.Y.,
Re: New Year's Father-Daughter Hunt – Hind Sight [Re: NitroX]
      #68699 - 03/01/07 11:45 PM

Great story and a great Father and Daughters bonding weekend.

--------------------
No good deed goes unpunished

Charles_Helm
.333 member

Re: New Year's Father-Daughter Hunt – Hind Sight [Re: foxfire]
      #68704 - 04/01/07 01:21 AM

Thank you gentlemen -- we enjoyed it very much and will try to make time for these trips even as their schedules fill up with other things!

--------------------

An Elephant Story

475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
      #68743 - 04/01/07 09:45 AM

You'll cherish these moments forever. When they discover boys or other things, you'll start thinking about how or where you went wrong. When kids grow up, they grow very fast.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

Charles_Helm
.333 member

Re: New Year's Father-Daughter Hunt – Hind Sight [Re: 475Guy]
      #68745 - 04/01/07 09:54 AM

You had to go and mention "boys" -- there goes my blood pressure!

--------------------

An Elephant Story

foxfire
.375 member

Reged: 25/11/04
Loc: Long Island N.Y.,
      #68750 - 04/01/07 11:28 AM

Boys Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm I have 24 year old daughter. Anytime a boy would come over to see her or pick her up I would show him my trophy room and always mention there's room for his head on the wall if he does the wrong thing.
One is boyfriend hanging there

--------------------
No good deed goes unpunished

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
      #68774 - 04/01/07 10:52 PM

Charles,

Thanks for the story and the photos. It warms my heart to see that you are teaching your daughters the fine tradtion of hunting and shooting, and that they clearly enjoy it a lot.

Erik

Charles_Helm
.333 member

Re: New Year's Father-Daughter Hunt – Hind Sight [Re: EricD]
      #68788 - 05/01/07 02:17 AM

Quote:

Charles,

Thanks for the story and the photos. It warms my heart to see that you are teaching your daughters the fine tradtion of hunting and shooting, and that they clearly enjoy it a lot.

Erik

We always have a good time. In order of importance, it is (1) be safe, (2) have fun, (3) do some hunting.

It was funny to hear my little one talk about how she likes being away from the big city. Of course I say the same thing!

--------------------

An Elephant Story

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
      #68790 - 05/01/07 03:37 AM

Thanks Charles,looks like you had a great time.

My Mother in law, Daughter in law and 12 year old Grand daughter are coming down from the U.S. in May. Granddaughter sent me an email asking if we were going hunting! I told her only if she wanted. She said okay good but she didn't want to hunt any cute animals. She went over the list of animals available on the nearby game farm looked them up in Google and narrowed her choices to Eland, Nyala and Blesbok. She did more research and decide for her first big game animal she would hunt a Blesbok. The others she felt might be to difficult for her.

I have been pretty excited since she made that decision and your post just turned the excitement button up that much more.

Thanks!

--------------------
DD, Ret.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: New Year's Father-Daughter Hunt – Hind Sight [Re: DoubleD]
      #68802 - 05/01/07 04:15 AM

Quote:

TShe said okay good but she didn't want to hunt any cute animals.

Ah, a future pig and warthog hunter on the way then.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Charles_Helm
.333 member

Re: New Year's Father-Daughter Hunt – Hind Sight [Re: NitroX]
      #68807 - 05/01/07 05:44 AM

No love for the ugly animals?

Good luck with the hunt -- I am sure you will have a great time.

--------------------

An Elephant Story

Charles_Helm
.333 member

Post Script [Re: Charles_Helm]
      #69068 - 08/01/07 08:55 AM

As a post-script, pictures of the rifles we took along with us:

My daughter's TC/Bullberry Encore (wood and custom work on frame by Bullberry Barrel Works, TC barrel adjusted and fore-end hanger bar installed by Bullberry, scope from the SWFA Sample List):

My .375 H&H "McSwirly" (Interams Mark X action, originally an Alaskan, McMillan stock in three-color swirl -- it was off the shelf, not what I would have ordered, three-position safety from PME parts via Jim Kobe, sight blade replaced with shallow v, gunsmithing by Tip Burns, Leupold 1.5-5x20 VXIII and Talley rings and bases from SWFA):

Along for the ride but not used, my Whitworth Safari Express in .458 Win Mag (same Interarms Mark X action, same three-position safety, scope and rings as the .375, new orignal-style Pachmayr recoil pad added, fore end replaced with ebony and stock lightly refinished, gunsmithing by Tip Burns and stock work by John Valicek):

The .375 and .458 together -- they are essentially the same rifle set up the same way:

[Click pictures for larger images.]

--------------------

An Elephant Story

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3345

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com