Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: .450 Ackley any thoughts?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
NONE
.300 member

Reged: 15/12/03
.450 Ackley any thoughts?
      #6774 - 11/01/04 11:39 AM

I have recently found an A-Square Hannibal rifle chambered in .450 Ackley. The rifle is a decent price and I could be intrigued into a purchase but the caliber is new to me. Though I do not have any experience with this load it looks good on paper upon checking ballistics.

I would like members comments on the .450 Ackley or any opinions on its ballistics, strong or weak points in the cartridge, A-Square's rifle etc... and its use on DG or game of any variety. Also would I be able to find the round loaded in any commercial fashion or would this be a hand load only affair?

Thank you as always for the advice in advance,
James F. Nixon III

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
holland465
.275 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: California
Re: .450 Ackley any thoughts? [Re: NONE]
      #6783 - 11/01/04 02:38 PM

I had a 450 Ackley built on a Remington 30 S action in 1974. P.O. Ackley did the barreling and chambering for me and the stock was done by Gary Goudy. This was a beautiful rifle and it shot like a house a fire! I eventually traded this rifle to a friend for a couple of Brevex magnum actions. The friend still owns this rifle and I looked at it last month.

This is a good cartridge made by necking up 375 H&H brass. It is easy to load and will accept a variety of powders and bullets. When it is loaded with 500 grain slugs to maximum powder levels, it is a real killer! This round has a lot of " horse power " and of course this is followed by fairly stiff recoil. The recoil is not unacceptable but you must live with the fact that it will definitely kick! That said, A Square designed his stocks to help absorb a good deal of recoil. They are not pretty in my opinion but they are very functional and do diminish the recoil.

If you can get a good deal on the gun and you like it, buy it.

Good Luck,

David

NONE
.300 member

Re: .450 Ackley any thoughts? [Re: holland465]
      #6836 - 12/01/04 10:11 AM

Thanks for the response. I was under the impression the .450 was a larger H&H belted case (2.85inch) necked down to .45 caliber?

I assumed from the ballistics I have read with a 500gr bullet in high 2300fp mv that the recoil would be quite stout. Good to hear it is manageable. I assume factory loads for the .450ackley are rare in any loading other then A-Square then?

I agree with the comment on the esthetics of the A-Square stock. My only problems with the rifle would be the appearance but from a function stand point I think A-Squares quality and workmanship would make it a nice one to own along with a rare caliber that is a power house as well.

James F. Nioxn III

holland465
.275 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: California
      #6868 - 13/01/04 07:16 AM

I thought A-Square was out of business?? Something about Alpin and the ATF.

You can also buy Norma cylindrical brass, load it up and go to town! This will provide you with fire formed cases. If you want this cartridge, you have to reload. I don't se any other way out for you on this one.

NONE
.300 member

Re: .450 Ackley any thoughts? [Re: holland465]
      #6879 - 13/01/04 12:44 PM

I have been told they were now defunct as well. The web site is still up which seams odd to me? I have not been aware the whole story as to why but have been lead to belive it was under terms?

I called Superior Ammunition http://www.searcyent.com/superior.htm and they have a load for the .450 in both soft, solid and monolithic. I use there loads for the .470NE/ .375H&H /.458 LOTT and a few others as well and have been happy so far I guess we will see as I intend to purchased the rifle. After checking the price is a bargain so if latter I decide it not to my liking I should come out on the deal.

I would in time of course rather work up my own loads but it is a issue for me being new to realoading to have a fall back.

DaveJames
.275 member

Reged: 04/01/03
Loc: Tidewater,Virginia
      #6900 - 13/01/04 05:45 PM

They are under new ownership, and from postings on "AR" the new CEO seems to be makeing up for lost time and, hard feelings among those who were burnt by Art

--------------------
"I am always willing to learn,but not always willing to be taught."
Sir Winston Churchill

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #6904 - 13/01/04 08:59 PM

Isn't the .450 Ackley Magnum similar to the Lott in that you can fire .458 Win Mag rounds through it as well?

Oops igbore that comment, I was getting confused with the Watts.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (13/01/04 09:03 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 105 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2262

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com