Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Martini and Hagn 300 Win. Mag., wood chosen

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Sharps
.224 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: Texas
Re: Martini and Hagn 300 Win. Mag., wood chosen [Re: DPhillips]
      #69653 - 17/01/07 11:02 AM

I really hate the thought of a Lone Star but if it means a straight barrel I suppose I can live with it. And I bet that you'd have to beat Steve Hughes up and threaten to barbeque his cat before he'd put a Monte Carlo on anything.

By the way, ask Martin and Ralf if they think my rifle is going to make 7lbs unscoped and 8lbs scoped with something light. Also warn them again that I am going to shoot this rifle to pieces, they are going to get it back in a sack.

Josh

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DPhillips
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/03
Loc: Alaska
Re: Martini and Hagn 300 Win. Mag., wood chosen [Re: Sharps]
      #69672 - 17/01/07 05:25 PM

7lbs bare rifle. Got it. Change the chambering to 243 Winchester. Instead of Turkish, you want maple or birch. White line spacers, too? Sure, okay. Anything else? I'm here for you. You need anything else, you just let me know. I'm happy to help.

You betcha!

Sharps
.224 member

#69704 - 18/01/07 07:18 AM

Birch and white line spacers, man you are killing me! I bet Martin and Ralf would die before they put a white line spacer on one of theirs.

Send pictures if you see anyting of mine.

Josh

DPhillips
.375 member

#69710 - 18/01/07 09:14 AM

See what you get for not going this year? Sure is going to be a purty riflegun!

Sharps
.224 member

#69728 - 18/01/07 01:21 PM

Hey Dave, while you have got the germans cornered ask them what the perfect working class 40 cal. (404 Jeffries?) would look like in a Hagn single shot. Maybe 9 1/2lbs scoped? I am going to need one in a few years for that world class Cape buffalo hunt that I aspire to.

Josh

DPhillips
.375 member

#69735 - 18/01/07 05:14 PM

What was it Hagn took to Namibia last year? 450-400? I can't remember. He might push something like that. I bet your that weight range would be about right.

There's a 600 Nitro Westley Richards Farky for sale at Schwandt Classic Arms. I think that might work. Maybe, if you pick your shots.

Arctic
.275 member

Reged: 01/04/04
Loc: Arctic Canada
      #69744 - 18/01/07 07:06 PM

He used a 450/400 3" he'd built for the client that went with him, .......the first that Hagn had built. I talked Ralf into the reamer a couple of years ago when he rebarrelled the Alex Henry and rechambered a Ruger #1 for me. Since then, the reamer has brought in a lot of work for him!
From his client, "The rifle performed well in Africa. I got a 1800 lb eland with it and Martin shot both an oryx and a kudu with the .450-400". ~Arctic~

--------------------
"A stranger is a friend we haven't met!"

SDH
.224 member

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: MT
      #70669 - 02/02/07 12:02 PM

DP,
Obviously I didn't see this last post.... it was great to meet you, had a great show, post some pics, I didn't take any!
The thursday dinner included Phil Shoemaker & Taj, James Tucker, Jerry Fisher, Ralf Martini, Reto Beuhler & more. I think there was 10 or 11 of us. Wish I had taken a pic!
The invite is open for next year.
Here's a photo of the .375 brld action that was on the M&H table. It's back in my gun safe.

sdh

Edited by SDH (02/02/07 12:09 PM)

Double_Trouble
.375 member

Reged: 27/04/06
Loc: Canada
Re: Martini and Hagn 300 Win. Mag., wood chosen [Re: SDH]
      #70713 - 03/02/07 05:45 AM

I was at the Martini and Hagn table and spoke with Mr Hagn for some time about his wonderful workmanship.

the recently completed 577 (I believe) was a fine looking rifle!

he sure does very nice work

DT

--------------------
Double Trouble,
Speak not of what you do not know.
Listen up when it's time to.

DPhillips
.375 member

#70810 - 05/02/07 07:19 AM

SDH,
I just got back home. Had to leave Reno for Vancouver and returned yesterday. The last post was some ago...

I'll try to get some pics up and running in a little while. It was great to meet with you for a while. The whole crew was in fine form throughout the weekend it seemed, especially during the banquet... I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Thanks for your time and making the event so enjoyable.

Dave

SDH
.224 member

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: MT
      #70817 - 05/02/07 11:29 AM

It was my pleasure, I'm sure Dave. Everyone was in fine form! A great show all around!

--------------------
SDH
www.finegunmaking.com

Arctic
.275 member

#71121 - 10/02/07 06:20 AM

Josh, I couldn't get any photos for you while at M&H as the metal had been shipped out for treatment, whatever. The rough sawn blank was there but you'd already seen it, and Ralf wouldn't let me use it for a target backer. The barrel was not made available so it will remain straight. ......So, no photos but everything remained as intended by you. ~Arctic~

--------------------

Sharps
.224 member

Re: Martini and Hagn 300 Win. Mag., wood chosen [Re: Arctic]
      #71180 - 11/02/07 02:20 AM

Arctic, I appreciate the update and I am relieved that Ralf was looking out for my wood. Just out of curiosity how would you scope one of these. I am seriously considering a 1.1x4 30mm scope. I find I don't need much over 4x and the low powers are pretty nice for fast shoots when the light gets low. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Josh

DPhillips
.375 member

#71291 - 12/02/07 08:37 AM

Yeah, well, you're just lucky nothing of yours was at the show or I would have I got my grubby paws on it... Then bad things would have happened. Hagn said he didn't have any birch in stock so you'll have to suffer the Turkish.

We want pictures, don't forget!

Sharps
.224 member

#71383 - 13/02/07 12:50 PM

Dave, you guys are going to get pictures until you are sick of seeing them once the Martini and Hagn shows up here. Did you see the pig I killed the night before last? I shot him with a POS 375 Holland #1 that I have been carving on. The stock was split when I bought it and I decided to try to make it fit me better. Its OK now, nothing special. The boar was at 71 yds and died right there. Not a bad offhand shot, I was bent down shooting through a hole in the brush with open sights. There were probably 30 of them and I killed the big one. One stupid black hog took off running down this field lengthwise which is close to 3/4 of a mile long and I gave him 4 rounds to see how fast he could run. A couple of more shots fired for effect and I might have gotten up on him. He got in with our cattle so I had to pull up. Hogs hate 375 Hollands.

Josh

DPhillips
.375 member

#71453 - 14/02/07 06:18 AM

What's wrong with you picking on those poor piggys like that? Looks like you did good. Any thought of trying to talk into changing the 300 to 375? Probably too late now, they were talking that yours was really in the works.

Put a couple of cartridges between your fingers on your support hand, and its amazing how fast you can get off those shots with the Ruger (I'm sure the Hagn will be as fast). I've doubled on deer with my 338 No.1 in some thick timber when they were on the move before. PH said the shots on the Eland were as fast has he's been around with most guys. But with a $1,000 price tag hanging out there, I wasn't going to let him move if I could help it. I'm not claiming the singles are as fast as a bolt, but can be surprising with practice. Though that isn't their allure. Piggys would be excellent practice...

Arctic
.275 member

#71462 - 14/02/07 09:25 AM

Josh, as soon as you mentioned low light, I had to suggest an illuminated reticle Leupold in 1.5 X 5. ......they're the cat's meow! I played with a Kreighoff sxs with an Aimpoint (the Germans and Austrians love them for pigs), and liked it well enough to try the Leupold on a bear gun, ......again, the cat's meow! ~Arctic~

--------------------

Sharps
.224 member

Re: Martini and Hagn 300 Win. Mag., wood chosen [Re: Arctic]
      #71469 - 14/02/07 12:15 PM

Dave, I had two 375's in between the fingers of my left hand when I let fly on this one. I am sure that a bolt would have been faster, but not by much. Actually this Ruger 375 was the test bed to make sure that I didn't want the Hagn to be a 375 (Thank you Steve Hughes for the suggestion). I don't. This Ruger has had the stock re-shaped, a Simms recoil pad installed and has a mercury tube in it. After all that, during the summer I just can't stand the recoil consistently without a bit of padding. Winter time is OK. For an all-around rifle I think the 300win. mag. is the best choice. By the way, feral dogs hate 375 Hollands, I discovered that tonight.

Arctic, I am considering a Schmidt and Bender 1.1x4 Zenith Flashdot as the primary scope for the Martini and Hagn 300. I am not much of a Leupold fan. Is there a better scope out there that does not have an objective bell?

Josh

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 53 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 14212

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com