Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Mark Sullivan & N.E. Safaris

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Dave_Hall
.300 member

Reged: 09/12/06
Loc: PA. ,U.S.A.
Mark Sullivan & N.E. Safaris
      #66735 - 10/12/06 06:59 PM

Has anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan or N.E.in Tanzania? Watched his dvd's,but never read of anyone hunting with him.I guess he been doing it for what about 15-16 years.Dave.

--------------------
The Great .458
45-90 WCF
45-120 Sharps
450 Nitro Express
2011 Ruger SP-101 4.2" 357 MAG.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
Re: Mark Sullivan & N.E. Safaris [Re: Dave_Hall]
      #66736 - 10/12/06 07:17 PM

Dave,

Welcome to the forum.

You're gonna get plenty of replies to this one..... but MS has been operating in TZ for some years and has a bit of a chequered reputation and history..... and I'm sure that other members will comment further. Alternatively, you could always do a search on previous posts on this fine forum......

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Dave_Hall
.300 member

Re: Mark Sullivan & N.E. Safaris [Re: shakari]
      #66739 - 10/12/06 07:34 PM

Thanks Shakari,
I thought it would be a good question to start off with.I been on different site's for years I never know this one was here.I love big bore rifles.Its all I've ever owned I'm glad to be here.Where do you guys talk about dvd's and books at on here.Dave.

--------------------
The Great .458
45-90 WCF
45-120 Sharps
450 Nitro Express

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Re: Mark Sullivan & N.E. Safaris [Re: shakari]
      #66741 - 10/12/06 07:41 PM

Dave
I have seen all of his videos, and I have spent time with him on two seperate occasions.

I came away with the impression that he is a "Man possesed with Africa, and African Dangerous Game hunting in the extreme". He has a real passion.

He came across as a person consumed, and excited about the hunt.

He is different. He craves the DANGER in DANGERous Game hunting.

I have not hunted with him.
I HAVE talked to people that have hunted with him, some more than once.

ALL of them have nothing but an excellent report of their hunt, and of Mark.

I have NEVER been told one single negative thing from any person that has actually hunted with Mark.

Others [ones who have not hunted with him] have reported "bad" things about Mark.

People who have hunted with him have nothing but praise for him.

Dave_Hall
.300 member

Re: Mark Sullivan & N.E. Safaris [Re: NE450No2]
      #66745 - 10/12/06 07:49 PM

He does seem to live for what he does.Very few people can say that about anything they do.Dave.

--------------------
The Great .458
45-90 WCF
45-120 Sharps
450 Nitro Express

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #66754 - 10/12/06 11:54 PM

Dave Hall

We have at least two members on NE.com who have hunted with him, one gentleman several times.

I'll let them speak up for themselves if they wish. But if you do a search "Mark Sullivan" you will find lots of posts and threads.

None of the clients who actually have hunted with him have reported anything negative at all about their hunts.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Mark Sullivan & N.E. Safaris [Re: NitroX]
      #66768 - 11/12/06 04:13 AM

I have not hunted with the fellow, but if his videos are representative of the safaris he conducts, then my primary comment would be that Mark shoots too much. IMO the PH should be using his best efforts to put the paying client in a position to shoot, rather than doing the shooting himself.

Dave_Hall
.300 member

Re: Mark Sullivan & N.E. Safaris [Re: 500grains]
      #66785 - 11/12/06 11:16 AM

I went thru all the pages that had Mark S. in it.Thanks NitroX enjoyed reading them all.I'm going thru my Nitro vids to find Allen Day's hunt does anyone know what DVD he in.I was thinking of getting Marks book is it worth the money or not.Dave.

--------------------
The Great .458
45-90 WCF
45-120 Sharps
450 Nitro Express

Dave_Hall
.300 member

#66787 - 11/12/06 11:40 AM

I found the vid it's Death Rush.When I read his story I know I saw it before.Dave.

--------------------
The Great .458
45-90 WCF
45-120 Sharps
450 Nitro Express

SteveH
.300 member

Reged: 26/12/03
Loc: Hillsboro, Oregon
      #66795 - 11/12/06 02:38 PM

Allen can tell you for sure. I think that he's in the first one, Black Death (?) and the latest one Death Rush.

He's the one shooting the bolt actions...

He makes a great shot in the second one on a running buff (not charging).

-Steve

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Mark Sullivan & N.E. Safaris [Re: SteveH]
      #66798 - 11/12/06 03:26 PM

Yes I think he was in one of the early ones, perhaps Black Death as suggested.

Allen has said Sullivan has never shot one of his animals, so what is perceived on the videos may not always be the average safari.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

allenday
.333 member

Reged: 18/04/04
      #66824 - 12/12/06 02:45 AM

I've known Mark and his entire family for over 12 years, and I spoke with him just last week. Mark and I have hunted together twice in Tanzania, and I've been in his videos 'Sudden Death', 'Death Rush', plus a non-shooting cameo in 'In The Face of Death'.

Mark's a great, great PH -- make no mistake about it -- and he not only treats his clients and staff with the utmost respect, but he knocks himself out all day, everyday to collect the finest trophy animals possible for his clients, as his videos and book 'Death And Double Rifles' would demonstrate.

Quite honestly, I've never hunted with a better PH, and I've hunted with more than a few, all of whom were truly excellent professionals. Mark's fun to hunt with. He's up and ready to go with a cheerful, positive attitude every single day of the week, and he's someone you can talk about any subject under the sun with in an intelligent manner. Mark is in superb physical condition, and he is a very, very light drinker, lifts weights when he gets back to camp from the safari day, plus he eats healthy food and keeps his mind occupied constructively.

I haven't followed Mark's every move, but when I've hunted with him, we hunted everything straight-up, 100% ethically, and mostly on foot, in the traditional manner. The animals I shot were the animals I brought home, and absolutely nothing was wasted of left on the ground. Without exception, I did all my own shooting, and Mark's never done any of the killing for me. I haven't engaged in any charges with him, either, nor would I want to unless it was out of sheer necessity.

I know this much: Indirectly, Mark has sold a lot of dangerous game safaris, double-rifles, and hunting videos for many of the very people who claim to despise him without actually knowing him............

AD

Dave_Hall
.300 member

Re: Mark Sullivan & N.E. Safaris [Re: allenday]
      #66841 - 12/12/06 10:00 AM

I just ordered In The Face Of Death and Death At My Feet.Allen,If you come back to this I have a question on your hunt on Death Rush when you were at 50 yds. from that Cape did you think he was going to charge.You were saying about the quick hunts at the start of the vid's.Do you know why Mark doesn't make his vid's longer it look's like he's the footage to do it.Some of them look like great hunts.Are you going hunting with him again soon? Do you know if he's coming out with another DVD any time soon?Dave.

--------------------
The Great .458
45-90 WCF
45-120 Sharps
450 Nitro Express

JTOMLINSON
.300 member

Reged: 16/02/05
Loc: York, England
      #67150 - 16/12/06 12:46 AM

Did Mark make a DVD or is there any footage on his last DVD of him using his Watson Bros .700 N.E, I have him on Video using his Thys .600 and earlier rifles but would like to see how he got along with the .700?

bulldog563
.400 member

Reged: 21/10/05
Loc: California
Re: Mark Sullivan & N.E. Safaris [Re: JTOMLINSON]
      #67183 - 16/12/06 07:13 AM

I dont recall seeing him using that Watson Bros. 700 in any of his videos but could be wrong.

--------------------
Join the National Rifle Association:
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp

Dave_Hall
.300 member

Re: Mark Sullivan & N.E. Safaris [Re: bulldog563]
      #67209 - 16/12/06 07:03 PM

I have all of his DVD's except the 3 first ones.I know these dvd's off by heart.I've never seen the .700 on video.I want to get his book so I can see it.He must have a boat load rifles.Mark uses different ones here and there and he lets client use different ones.Does he say how many he has in his book.Dave.

--------------------
The Great .458
45-90 WCF
45-120 Sharps
450 Nitro Express

Boomer
.300 member

Reged: 13/04/05
Loc: The Hudson Bay Coast, Canada
      #67229 - 17/12/06 12:16 AM

Quote:

I went thru all the pages that had Mark S. in it.Thanks NitroX enjoyed reading them all.I'm going thru my Nitro vids to find Allen Day's hunt does anyone know what DVD he in.I was thinking of getting Marks book is it worth the money or not.Dave.

That's a good question. If you enjoy his videos I am sure you will also enjoy the book. Many, though certainly not all the pictures are stills from the videos. I bought the book and enjoyed it, and considered it a good insight of the man I was going to spend a lot of money to go hunting with. Needless to say, I enjoyed the book and last summer's adventure.

--------------------

bulldog563
.400 member

Reged: 21/10/05
Loc: California
Re: Mark Sullivan & N.E. Safaris [Re: Boomer]
      #67286 - 17/12/06 06:44 PM

Dave, You can see the Watson Brtohers 700 at champlinarms.com in the DR section.

--------------------
Join the National Rifle Association:
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp

Dave_Hall
.300 member

Re: Mark Sullivan & N.E. Safaris [Re: bulldog563]
      #67289 - 17/12/06 09:40 PM

Boomer,did Mark say if he was coming out with a new dvd or book.Dave.

--------------------
The Great .458
45-90 WCF
45-120 Sharps
450 Nitro Express

Boomer
.300 member

Reged: 13/04/05
Loc: The Hudson Bay Coast, Canada
      #67290 - 17/12/06 11:18 PM

Mark said he is currently working on a new book, but I do not know when it is scheduled to be published He said there will be an extensive chapter on lion hunting, so stay tuned. I think Mark will make the videos as long as he continues work as a PH.

--------------------

larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
Re: Mark Sullivan & N.E. Safaris [Re: Boomer]
      #67297 - 18/12/06 02:52 AM

Quote:"I'm going thru my Nitro vids to find Allen Day's hunt does anyone know what DVD he in.I was thinking of getting Marks book is it worth the money or not.Dave".

Allan is in "Death Rush". Note that he taught us something. He was using a 300 bolt rifle, shot from very close a splendid solitary buff and slayed it on the spot. Perfect shot, perfect placement.

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

allenday
.333 member

#67340 - 19/12/06 01:51 AM

Dave, no, I really didn't think that we'd get a charge out of that buffalo. He had no reason to charge, and the way the stalk went, plus the fact that he had a wide-open avenue of escape, I thought the only way we'd possibly get into trouble with him would be as a result of poor shooting. In the end, the hunt played out pretty much the way I thought it would.

Larcher, thank you for your kind comments. I used a custom-built Model 70 416 Rem. Mag. from D'Arcy Echols & Co. with a handloaded 370 gr. North Fork soft-point @ 2460 fps. on the buffalo in 'Death Rush'. I had 370 gr. North Fork solids in the magazine.

I did use a 300 Win. Mag. and factory-loaded 180 gr. Winchester Fail-Safe bullets (3050 fps.) on the buffalo and leopard in 'Sudden Death'. As far as I know, this is the only video footage in existence of a client shooting a Cape buffalo with a 300 Win. Mag.

Mark tries to pack a lot of action footage in his DVDs so that they move along at a crisp pace. I suspect that he has enough video footage in his vault to supply enough material for several more new releases. I don't know what his plans are for any new titles.

AD

larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
      #67366 - 19/12/06 07:03 AM

Sorry Allen,

but how on earth could I know You ever used a 300 on buff,
The only Mark Sullivan's dvds that I own are "Death rush" and "Death on the run"?????????????????????
It remains that on Death rush You are pretty cool. Maybe it's the only clip I am reluctant to look at. A trophy bull, alone, in a not cluttered place, just some scarce tuffs of grass and a fantatstic once in a lifetime buff just like a sitting duck. And Mark and Allen, coolly approaching, and approaching, taking all their time, conversing, pondering, and coming closer, and conversing.This sequence is extremely bad for everybody's nerves. I am not a long range shooter but when luck is knocking at my door, I won't let it wait.
And they close and get closer. Eventually Allen makes his mind and shoot. And the ominous DG dies on the spot. Really cool, but that leads me out of my depth.

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

allenday
.333 member

#67561 - 21/12/06 02:38 AM

They currently have a thread going at the "Accurate Reloading" African hunting forum about Mark. Along with the usual half-baked, chicken-$hit rhetoric, a new lie has been passed along that Mark charges the willing client $50,000 for a buffalo charge

This is an absolute lie, and a total crock of BS.......

AD

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#67567 - 21/12/06 04:57 AM

Probably similar to the other "rumours" always unsubstantiated we have got from the same "source".

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 88 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7342

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com