Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: BLASER S 2 LUXUS

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
lapua
.333 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Australia
BLASER S 2 LUXUS
      #66427 - 06/12/06 08:32 AM

Hi anyone using one was thinking of getting one for the big bore club and hunting what cal. ? 470 or 500 nitro express ?
Are these worth buying the pricing in Aussie dollars is around the $8000 mark.

Cheers

lapua

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: BLASER S 2 LUXUS [Re: lapua]
      #66429 - 06/12/06 09:16 AM

I have shot one. They are accurate, but often you need to regulate it yourself. Also, they are a non-standard design and must be re-cocked between loadings, kind of like a hammer gun but with only 1 hammer.

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
      #66431 - 06/12/06 09:32 AM

Quote:

Are these worth buying

No. Look elsewhere.

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

JohnK
.275 member

Reged: 02/12/06
      #66435 - 06/12/06 11:33 AM

I own a Blaser S2 safari Super Luxus in 470 NE. The wood is fantastic and the engraving is in the same class. I know a lot has been said about the "cocking" mechanism. I have used mine shooting several scrub bulls. The cocking mechanism caused me no problems what so ever. I fired and reloaded and was ready to fire again without problem. I found the rifle easy to regulate with very little variation in velocity between barrels. It is also very accurate. It handles like a well balanced shotgun, pointing at the target immediately. I have settled for a load of 115 gn of Reloader 22 using 500 gn Woodleigh projectiles. I was going to buy a second hand English double but decided against it. I didn't want some other persons problems. I am happy with my purchase and happy with the design of the rifle. It works for me. I cannot ask for more.
Lapua, I am happy to give you a shot from the rifle if you are in my area.

JohnK

--------------------
JohnK

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: BLASER S 2 LUXUS [Re: JohnK]
      #66455 - 06/12/06 07:58 PM

Johnk

QUOTE I was going to buy a second hand English double but decided against it. I didn't want some other persons problems."

That's a very general and broad sweeping statement and of 30+
I own, have owned, only 1 has a problem (loose rib) and I knew about it before I bought it.

I'd stack a lot of my English DR's up against any modern double for accuracy.

500Nitro

JohnK
.275 member

Re: BLASER S 2 LUXUS [Re: 500Nitro]
      #66458 - 06/12/06 08:35 PM

500Nitro

Yes I agree with you, it is a very broad sweeping statement. However I am aware of more than a few people who have bought second hand and had their fingers burnt.

The point I was trying to make is that I believed that I was better off buying new. For what ever reason I purchased a Blaser. I find my rifle accurate, quick to handle, easy to regulate and very well made. I thought long and hard before spending my hard earned money. I have a rifle of a modern design and latest technology, this is what I went for in the end. I realise this may not suit everyone.

The Blaser may not be for everyone but I am happy with my purchase. The workmanship is excellent, the timber first class and the engraving superp. I got what I wanted.

JohnK

Grizzly
.333 member

Reged: 05/12/05
Loc: Dallas, Texas, USA
      #66461 - 06/12/06 10:05 PM

In the end, it is your investment and your decision.

As for my opinion, I would not own one for a hunting rifle.

Before I acquired my first double, I looked long and hard for a couple of years on what was out there. Used, new and all makers.

I decided to buy new much for the same reason you have given. Plus the fact that a decent English rifle in my taste range was a lot more than the newer rifles.

I looked hard at the S2. The wood is superb. And fit and finish are first class.

However, the Blaser, a lot like a Kreighoff, does not cock the hammers upon closing the breech. It has a manual cocking mechanism. After you load and close the breech, you must then move the external cocking lever to get the rifle ready to fire. That take time, and when hunting, time is a commodity you cannot get back.

I also passed on doubles with automatic safeties. Again, an extra step where you have to disengage the safety each time you reload.

Blaser had some very slick marketing for the S2's here in the US and "donated" many to groups like SCI and the Dallas Safari club for convention raffles. They got a lot of exposure. I believe they are still doing that.

The initial prices were much higher than they are today. To me, that tells me that their sales are not up to par.

If you want a dangerous game rifle, simple is better.

I passed on the Blaser and the Krieghoff. I ended up buying a Heym Safari. And I'm glad that I did.

--------------------
SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member
DRSS Member

lapua
.333 member

#66489 - 07/12/06 04:28 AM

I live in Perth where do you live buddy ??

And thankyou for your reply and to all that had a comment.

Cheers

lapua

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
      #66492 - 07/12/06 06:01 AM

Thanks to similar input and info exchanged here I passed on a buying a Blaser or a Kreighoff and ended up buying a Merkel twice(!!)--keeping shooting a rifle which I really enjoy!

Thanks again to all who shared their technical knowledge and advice, it mattered.

Personally,I think that for the dollar you can't beat Merkel as an entry level DR.It's not balanced "between the hands" like a Heym and/or better english DR's but it works and will get the job done. Not the best tool but a very functional tool nonetheless.

Each to his own cause we may live or die by our decisions.

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
Re: BLASER S 2 LUXUS [Re: hoppdoc]
      #66497 - 07/12/06 06:58 AM

Quote:

Thanks to similar input and info exchanged here I passed on a buying a Blaser or a Kreighoff and ended up buying a Merkel twice(!!)--keeping shooting a rifle which I really enjoy!

Thanks again to all who shared their technical knowledge and advice, it mattered.

Personally,I think that for the dollar you can't beat Merkel as an entry level DR.It's not balanced "between the hands" like a Heym and/or better english DR's but it works and will get the job done. Not the best tool but a very functional tool nonetheless.

Each to his own cause we may live or die by our decisions.

As good an evaluation of the Merkel as I've heard. They're a fair deal for the money.

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
Re: BLASER S 2 LUXUS [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #66501 - 07/12/06 07:58 AM

Well said. I guess my opinion for working doubles would be:
(1) Small to medium bore double rifle (7mm, 8mm and 9.3), go with Chapuis.
(2) Big bore go with Merkel, or if you've got the funds and want a nicer rifle, Heym.

Thats after having shot several Chapuis and Merkels. I've not shot a Heym yet, but I'm taking offers

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

JohnK
.275 member

Re: BLASER S 2 LUXUS [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #66502 - 07/12/06 08:03 AM

Lapua,

I live in Western Victoria, a long way from Perth. Send me a personal message if you ever want to catch up. I am only to happy to let you have a shot from my rifle.

--------------------
JohnK

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #66600 - 08/12/06 03:15 PM

The expendature required to buy a dependable double rifle, that may well stand between you, and oblivion, is a substansual one, and should not be tendered lightly! Addtionally, the features included in this package can make the choice a good one, or a one that could very well get you killed!

It seems obvious to me that a double rifle chambered for a cartridge like the 470NE is most likely entended for use on dangerous game, and at face to face distance, as a stopper! When a rifle is to be used as a stopper, the thing must be made as idiot proof as is posible! Anything that constitutes more moves than absolutely necessary, is a draw back to effecient operation, and comes under the listing headed as , K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid), as a impedament that is undesireable!

IMO, the Blazer is not well suited to the KISS clasification! Unlike the Krieghoff, the Blazer has the be cocked after each reload, because it has an automatic safety that cannot be disconnected. The Krieghoff re-cocks the action when the rifle is fired, and broken open to reload, and unless the cocking button is set to SAFETY (actually de-cocked)it will fire without further manipulation! This means if you fire one or both barrels of the blazer, at a chargeing buffalo, and have to reload, then one MUST remember to push the so-called SAFETY forward again before the rifle will fire! In a tight sittuation, this could mean the difference between stopping the Buff, and getting a horn up your crotch! Shooters seem to get a little rattled when a big Bull gets close and hasn't gone down to the first two shots!

Things like auto safeties, have gotten people killed before, and the auto is to be disconnected on any rifle used for a DGR, if the owner knows what is in his best interest! Ohter things like single triggers on double rifles, which take away the "TWO SINGLE SHOT RIFLES ON THE SAME STOCK" that makes the double rifle the totally reliable tool it is designed to be, if it breaks in any way! The O/U configuration is another in a DGR double is clumsey to reload quickly, and that negates it as a DGR, IMO, but doesn't apply here!

As others have said, the choice belongs to the one that will be standing behind the rifle in a tight spot, so It is not up to me to dictate what others buy or use! Use what you want, but be willing to live or die with that choice!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #66612 - 08/12/06 09:43 PM

JohnK

I don't think I explained myself / my comments as much as I should have.

I wasn't having a go at you buying new or a Blaser - I own 2 new Merkels. With DR's, it's personal choice alot of the time.

In regard to your commnet "However I am aware of more than a few people who have bought second hand and had their fingers burnt."
from my experience those who get burnt are often the one's who are always "looking for a bargain" and when one is PRESENTED as such, they buy it without actually knowing what a bargain is ! And what they buy is often not a bargain.

I work on one principle with my DR's. I get them fixed up so they are 100% and I can confidently stand in front of Dangerus Game and know the gun will work if I do my bit. Therefore no excuses need to be made
so if people are prepared to buy knowledge and no hassle's, tough.

Good luck with the Blaser. Must get around to shooting one sometime.

500 Nitro

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Re: BLASER S 2 LUXUS [Re: 500Nitro]
      #66630 - 09/12/06 05:33 AM

lapua
Go to www.blaserpro.com and look in the double rifle combination forum under double rifle quandry, there is some discussion on the S-2 there.

lapua
.333 member

Re: BLASER S 2 LUXUS [Re: NE450No2]
      #66710 - 10/12/06 11:03 AM

Interesting comments being made all round good to see and thanks for the tip

Cheers

Laurens

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 64 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2885

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com