Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Restoration Advice

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Restoration Advice
      #65773 - 13/11/06 01:01 AM

Gang,

I'm going to have my 1906 Hollis restored (stock refinish, reblacking, case coloring, put back on face, and minor mechanical repairs). Who have you used and/or recommend. I already now about JJ and Pete Mazur.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Raff
.300 member

Reged: 12/01/04
Loc: Texas
Re: Restoration Advice [Re: bonanza]
      #65774 - 13/11/06 02:43 AM

Give David Yale a call in Colorado. 970-562-4225.
Just super work. Leather pads to new front sights.
Have fun.
Raff

--------------------

bwana600nitro
.224 member

Reged: 13/02/06
Loc: San Antonio, Texas
Re: Restoration Advice [Re: Raff]
      #65777 - 13/11/06 03:04 AM

I second on David nice guy and a hell of a gun guy. He will do just as good a job a JJ and will be back to you faster.

You may also want to try Nick Makinson PH# (519) 471-5462. He does good work also. Fast turnaround too.

bwana600

--------------------
"The big ones look big" Jack O'Conner

clark7781
.375 member

Reged: 28/10/04
Loc: Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
Re: Restoration Advice [Re: bwana600nitro]
      #65781 - 13/11/06 05:33 AM

I think 400 Nitro Express will second this, but for a restocking, I would recommend Paul Hodgdon out in Colorado, I think. He was a stocker for Holland and Holland.

--------------------
Clark

Double Rifle Shooters Society
.500 NE and .577 NE

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
      #65784 - 13/11/06 08:21 AM

First off, unless the finish issues are significant, I'd suggest leaving it alone. If you must, forget turnaround time. The best are rarely fast. If you're going to diddle with a fine British or European gun, diddle with it British or European. Stick to British or European trained professionals. They do things differently. If you want the gun to be worth your investment when you're done, the difference matters. Is this gun really off face? Odd for a Jones UL.

Unless there are serious pitting issues that you want fixed, avoid re-colour hardening. If you have to do this, stick to established mainstream companies, and make sure the action is completely annealed first. There are very few who know how to do this right. Don't let anyone near it with a torch. J. J. uses Turnbull. Frankly, if I were to have a British DR of mine re-hardened, I'd return it to England and have it done by St. Ledger's, who does much of such work for the British trade.

Ask how things are to be done. For re-blacking, barrels of fine double guns are prepped and carded by hand. If they're going to use a polishing wheel find someone else. Also, inquire about how the re-jointing is to be done. The Hollis doubles ususally have a fixed pin and a round dolls head. With plasma spray and tig weld methods available for the fixed pin guns, personally, I would never let someone dovetail the hook. Also, the dolls head will need re-fitting, and very few do this. The SOP in most shops in the US seems to be to just dovetail the hook and ignore the top extension/third fastener, and that's unacceptable. Of the re-jointing work I've seen in recent years, J. J.'s is really good.

Be cautious, ask lots of questions.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: Restoration Advice [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #65785 - 13/11/06 08:41 AM

This why I ask for advice!

I have no personal issues with its current state of finish. It actualy looks pretty good for its age. However, none of the screws match and some are not original. That has to be sorted in my opinion.

It is just off face, the extractor needs a little work, and the hammers need cleaning up.

So i'll get the mechanics done and leave the action and stock alone.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

470evans
.333 member

Reged: 30/03/05
Loc: Texas, USA
      #65789 - 13/11/06 09:15 AM

I just got my Evans 400/360 back from JJ.

He reblacked the barrels, reblued the furniture, reregulated it for 286 Woodleighs, put on a new front sight, put on a leather pad and refinished the wood. I thought about case coloring and decided to pass. I'm glad I did.

It wasn't cheap and it took him 5 months but the final product was worth every minute of the time and every $.

Edited by 470evans (13/11/06 09:16 AM)

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #65855 - 14/11/06 11:46 AM

Consider this a biased post in some ways as both the gentlemen I am posting about are personal friends of mine:

1. David Norin in Waukegan IL, an ACGG member gunsmith who does a beautiful job of reproducing the exact colours that the British coloured their guns with in case hardening and blueing. Dave works with several British gunsmiths and businesses these days and also builds complate rifles from scratch

2. B Ka'imiloa Chrisman in Arizona whose hammer double restoration project I posted here some time ago, taken from the pages of a magazine. He is a retired plastic surgeon who studied engraving under Rachel Wells and who works on restoring mostly BPE doubles though he also restores NE guns

If you would like to talk to either of them, I could introduce you on e-mail and you could then decide.

Cheers!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2046

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com