Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Recommended Double Gunsmiths

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
ThomasEdwards
.300 member

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: Newport Beach, CA
Recommended Double Gunsmiths
      #6539 - 05/01/04 04:27 PM

...i may need some work done on a 9,3 o/u double, and was wondering whether anyone had any opinions on qualified gunsmiths...

...on a related matter, i was also wondering whether anyone had any opinions on beretta usa's gallery gunsmiths (in new york and dallas) in terms of the quality of work on doubles...

...thanks in advance for your thoughts...

te

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Recommended Double Gunsmiths [Re: ThomasEdwards]
      #6548 - 05/01/04 11:41 PM

ThomasEdwards,

I am assuming from your Post that you are in the US.

Anyway, Keith Kearcher, (Old Address of 1220 Spruce St, Longview, WA 98632)
has a good reputation on Doubles - especially English but at least he's a contact in the US.

I believe he has just moved but I can get you his address / contact details if needed. At least he may
be able to point you in the right direction.

Also - email "Mickey" who is one of the other Moderators of this forum.
He is in the US and into the Double Rifle field so he should be able to give you a "heads up"
others.

Post again if you want contacts in other contries or want me to get Keith Kearcher's contact details.

Hope this helps

500 Nitro

Rusty
.333 member

Reged: 08/02/03
Loc: Missouri City, Texas
      #6553 - 06/01/04 01:20 AM

I highly recommend JJ Perodeau at CHAMPLIN FIREARMS, ENID OK.

JJ has done work for me on several occations. My visits to his gunshop have been pleasant and rewarding! Seems like he always has time to talk when I call and he always gives me straight forward answers. His work on my double rifle has been outstanding!

--------------------
Rusty
We band of brothers!

DRSS

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Recommended Double Gunsmiths [Re: Rusty]
      #6569 - 06/01/04 10:33 AM

What Rusty said! You won't do better, in the USA, than JJ, at Champlins! If you are going to the Dallas Safari Club show, next week, George Caslin, the managing partner of Champlin's will have a booth there. He can look your rifle over, and take it back home with him if need be!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

holland465
.275 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: California
      #6588 - 06/01/04 01:46 PM

Let's not forget Jack Rowe who lives close to George Caswell's operation! Jack is an old English gunmaker and worked for Purdeys for quite a spell. He is a very nice man with credentials that put him on top of the " Heap ", so to speak!

ThomasEdwards
.300 member

#6597 - 06/01/04 05:56 PM

...i appreciate your responses, and helpful suggestions...

...actually, i spoke once to jj a few months ago about my double barrel requirements, and was quite impressed with his knowledge, experience and willingness to speak freely...in fact, the price quoted for the required work was rather reasonable, compared to some of the other gunsmiths i talked to...

...also, for reference purposes, chris batha (of ej churchill shooting school fame) lists in volume 2 of his newly inaugurated shooting gazette a number of highly qualified state-side gunsmiths with double gun experience...

...500nitro, many thanks for your recommendation...since i have already spoken to jj, and have already also received a price quote, i will probably just proceed at this point...but your suggestion would make a valuable second reference point in the future...

te

LightningTwice
.275 member

Reged: 01/01/04
Loc: Southcentral Alaska
      #6720 - 09/01/04 07:09 PM

Thomas Edwards,

I recently read an article in SPORTSMAN'S GUN ANNUAL (2004) about a Mr. Ken Owens re-regulating a poorly regulated Kodiak .45-70 double rifle owned by a Mr. Todd Lofgren.

The article praised Mr. Owens' work in correcting the .45-70 and went on to say that Owens' main business is "sorting out problems with double guns." It also stated that he "primarily works on British and American double rifles and shotguns... services range from building hard or impossible-to-get parts like firing pins, screws, springs and the like, to full blown re-regulations."

Says that he also does work for Cape Outfitters, Thad Scott and Westley Richards. (NOTE: I could not find a website for Ken Owen, however.)

Name, Address & Telephone Number:

Ken Owen, Gunsmith
1200 Slayden Rd.
Moscow, TN 38057
(901) 877-6853

Regards,

"LightningTwice"

--------------------
"Speak softly, but carry a big stick... and know how to use it."

ThomasEdwards
.300 member

Re: Recommended Double Gunsmiths [Re: LightningTwice]
      #6871 - 13/01/04 08:57 AM

lightningtwice,

...thanks for taking the time to respond, and for your suggestions...

...it is always good to have multiple sources/references, especially for the arcane science/art of double barrel regulation, a necessary obstacle when doing anything related to a double, even something seemingly simple such as the mounting and sighting a scope...

...cheers...

te

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
      #7691 - 29/01/04 08:55 AM

The two best double rifle smiths I know are David Yale, Yellow Jacket Colorado, 970-562-4225 and L&L Interprises, Carson City, Nv. 775-841-3069, learmes@cs.com

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
Re: Recommended Double Gunsmiths [Re: atkinson6]
      #7714 - 29/01/04 11:02 AM

Ray got this one right!

Lee LeBas of L&L has been doing my drilling and double rifle work for years now. We have become pretty good friends over the years, and I visit his shop about twice a month to watch him work on H&H, Merkel, Army & Navy, Semperit & Kreighoff, Kettner, Lang.......

I just got a new to me circa 1937 E. Kettner drilling a few weeks ago that had a broken right striker spring. In minutes Lee had the gun apart, some internal action rust polished out and cleaned up, a new spring made, and put back together. I was oogling some nice double rifles from H&H he had there for re-regulating and not watching the time.

Damned if he didn't have the Kettner back and better than ever, before I was done playing with all the neet "toys"!

Lee is the real deal!

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Re: Recommended Double Gunsmiths [Re: luv2safari]
      #7728 - 29/01/04 01:32 PM

I can highly recommend J.J. Perodeau at Champlin Arms.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 56 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5687

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com