Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: definition, please.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
darkgael
.224 member

Reged: 27/10/06
Loc: Pennsylvania
definition, please.
      #65055 - 02/11/06 02:31 AM

I know what "regulation" is for double rifles. I have come upon the term "semi-regulated" (Pedersoli) but no satisfactory definition.
Anyone?
Thanks,
Pete

--------------------
The readiness is all.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: definition, please. [Re: darkgael]
      #65071 - 02/11/06 04:29 AM

First and foremost, Welcome to the site!

Now about the language...
That means "not regulated"
(but you might get lucky with one anyway)

Similarly, one cannot be 'Semi Dead' or 'Semi Pregnant'

--Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Double_Trouble
.375 member

Reged: 27/04/06
Loc: Canada
Re: definition, please. [Re: tinker]
      #65072 - 02/11/06 04:33 AM

LMAO!
that pretty much sums it up !
there is more knowledge on this site than you can shake a stick at!

--------------------
Double Trouble,
Speak not of what you do not know.
Listen up when it's time to.

darkgael
.224 member

Re: definition, please. [Re: Double_Trouble]
      #65075 - 02/11/06 05:39 AM

Thank you. Makes sense.
Pete

--------------------
The readiness is all.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #65165 - 03/11/06 02:38 AM

In reply to:

I know what "regulation" is for double rifles. I have come upon the term "semi-regulated" (Pedersoli) but no satisfactory definition. Anyone?
Thanks,
Pete

The description "NOT REGULATED" posted here is not quite accurate. "SIMI-REGULATED" means the rifle barrel sets was soldered together in a jig. This sometimes works perfectly, and sometimes not. Even when it doesn't work perfectly, it is closer than simply soldering them side by side! I own a couple of Pedersolis, and have fired several others, both with factory chamberings, and re-chambered ones, and I've found them to never be far off tight regulation. Of course I simply could have been lucky! My first one was a Trail Guns Armory Pedersoli Kodiak 45-70 that was the 134th rifle made. It was ordered two years before they were available to the public. It cost $900 USD. It regulated both barrels in a 2" group @ 100 yds with Winchester 350 gr ammo, and placed the bullets the same with my Ruger No 1 load that was fairly hot, in the same group with 400 gr bullets. That rifle was re-chambered to 458 RCBS, and full house loads still print 2" groups at 100 yds! The widest group I've experienced with a Pedersoli is 4 1/2" for four shots at 100 yds with 400 gr bullets in handloads, but factory ammo shot to point of aim,and a little tighter, with a group 1" less in size.

The barrels are left quite heavy, and that is one reason the rifles shoot fairly well with the barrels soldered in a jig, the front weight dampens the muzzle flip some what. They are hard to re-regulate, because they are Silver Brazed together, not soft soldered.

The newer ones are better finished than the old origenals. These rifles were commisioned by the late Col. Mike Powasnic, owner of the now defunct TRAIL GUNS ARMORY of League City, Texas, back in the early 80s. The rifles are a replica of the 1878 Colt double rifle.

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

clark7781
.375 member

Reged: 28/10/04
Loc: Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
      #65169 - 03/11/06 02:50 AM

Pete:

What part of PA are you from?

--------------------
Clark

Double Rifle Shooters Society
.500 NE and .577 NE

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: definition, please. [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #65200 - 03/11/06 05:59 AM

Mac-

Good note.
I've been waiting to see -in the flesh- one of these Pedersoli SxS rifles that actually shoots well.
I've seen from time to time reports of accurate, regulated Pedersoli double rifles, and wonder when one will surface at a range or hunting trip when I'm there to see it.

Over the past few years I've seen somewhere around five or six of them in this part of the world and have heard of a couple of others.
I just haven't seen one of them put both barrels in the same group over the same sight -- I think the best shooting one I've seen puts the barrel groups three inches apart side to side and six inches apart vertically.

Also, about half of them had issues with the hammers not properly aligning with the firing pins or problems with the firing pins binding in their collets or in the actions -- all of those had firing pin holes that were eccentric to the bushing bores.

I don't have much of a great attitude about them, and for the sake of the guys I've seen with them out this way, am envious of y'all who ended up with good shooting rifles.

--Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

darkgael
.224 member

Re: definition, please. [Re: clark7781]
      #65265 - 04/11/06 09:12 AM

Clark: I am in Sweet Valley. Draw a line on a map between Wilkes-Barre and Williamsport and I'm about half-way along that.
Pete

--------------------
The readiness is all.

clark7781
.375 member

Reged: 28/10/04
Loc: Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
      #65266 - 04/11/06 09:57 AM

Dark:

The reason I asked is because I am heading home (to PA) for Thanksgiving and early on Thansgiving morning my father and MAYBE some of his friends (who also have Double Rifles) are going to go shooting near Fogelville, PA with our Doubles. I'm bringing my .500 NE and .577 NE. (Fogelsville is about 1.5 hours for you [and about an hour and 10 minutes for me]).

If you are interested, let me know and I will fill you in with more details. I will probably also post the info here on NE and on AccurateReloading.com for anyone else to come along for a fun shoot.

--------------------
Clark

Double Rifle Shooters Society
.500 NE and .577 NE

darkgael
.224 member

Re: definition, please. [Re: clark7781]
      #65469 - 08/11/06 02:23 AM

Clark: Thank you, that is a very hospitable offer. Alas, I will be in Taunton, Mass. for Thanksgiving - a longstanding family get-together.
Again, thanks.
Pete

--------------------
The readiness is all.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 229 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2552

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com