Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: shooting practice for Africa

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
shooting practice for Africa
      #64800 - 28/10/06 01:59 AM

I am curious what you guys do to get ready to shoot from field positions in Africa. A very few shooting ranges have realistic field situations and charging game targets, but most of us must come up with our own shooting practice regimen.

Personally I shoot offhand at 50 and 25 yards, using a pair of bullseye targets at each range. I shoot left barrel, right barrel at 50, on 2 different targets, then reload and left barrel and right barrel at 25 on 2 different targets. The shooting and reloading are aimed but take place rapidly. This exercise is intended to simulate shooting moving/advancing game, or shooting more than one animal.

After a bit of that, I set a target at 15 yards and another at 10 yards and shoot first at 15 then at 10 to simulate a closing animal. This is snap shooting. Just for fun I have shot sunflower heads at 5 yards, but it is so easy that it's not really practice and may ruin me for longer ranges.

For bolt gun practice, I shoot offhand and sitting at 50 and 100 yards, and prone at 100 and 200 yards. Additional prone practice at longer ranges is called prarie dog hunting.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: shooting practice for Africa [Re: 500grains]
      #64806 - 28/10/06 02:35 AM

Sounds logical and appropriate.

The switching to closer targets for precision at speed is good practice. Shooting at targets at high and low elevation for "boiler room" hits would be good practice as well.

Any suggestions for this? Maybe a "heart, lung" target behind a larger target would suffice.

When I practice shooting bolts prone I tend to use my 7 Mag.
I don't use the 300 mag, 338, 375, or 416 Rem cause the aggravation and to avoid flinching. Nothing like a "magnum eyebrow" flinch to get your attention on a difficult prone shot.

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

greyhoundzr1
.224 member

Reged: 14/05/05
Loc: Western USA
Re: shooting practice for Africa [Re: hoppdoc]
      #64825 - 28/10/06 12:00 PM

Monthly I do 50 yard and 25 yards with my double, practicing reloading and moving to different angles to the targets. 30 rounds 480 grain lead and finish up with 6-8 rounds of fullpower 470.

I've been practicing more with my 300 SAUM bolt for my upcoming plainsgame hunt coming up in May '06. For this I do standing offhand, sticks and kneeling on my range's metal 14" dongers @ 140 meters and the man-sized targets at 200. These are at different elevations up a hill.

I do the bolt action regiment weekly, 40 rounds/outing.

My '08 hunt will be with my double and will adapt 500's course of practice, sounds good, appreciate you sharing your practice regiment.

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
      #64849 - 29/10/06 05:23 AM

In reply to:

Just for fun I have shot sunflower heads at 5 yards, but it is so easy that it's not really practice and may ruin me for longer ranges.

500grains,

Why can't you shoot them from further away?

The sunflower trick sounds like a good idea in general, and I think I'll spread out some sunflower seeds for this purpose. A sack of seeds will make a whole bunch of cheap targets!

I generally try to shoot as much off hand as possible, from 100, 80 meters and 40 or so meters.

Before going to Zim last year, I made my "famous" car pulled charging ele target just for fun. As it was possible to actually get hit in the head by the target which approached me at 30-40 km/h, it made the "dangerous game" part more realistic as I had to duck or jump aside as it passed by me.

One thing I did a bit of was to have a target at about 10 meters or so (or used the charging ele target) and after shooting it with 1 or 2 shots, I would switch to a target 90 degrees or so to my left or right to simulate a sneaky second cow ele that was charging from the side. And give that one 1 or 2 shots. I also sometimes added a 3rd target, and between the 2nd and 3rd target would reload the rifle with a few rounds. Or would shoot target 1, 2 and 3, reload, and then shoot target 1 or 2 again.

I also shoot a lot while sitting on the ground, or on a tree stump. From 100 or 80 meters. This is the most common positions for most of my hunting at home, in addition to leaning against a tree.

I very rarely shoot prone, as I have rarely used this possition while hunting. Although I did more this more than usual when I went to Namibia a few years ago, and actually did end up shooting a gemsbok while prone from a kopje.

Finally, I only shoot off a bench when sighting in the first shots with new ammo, or using a chronograph.

Erik

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: shooting practice for Africa [Re: EricD]
      #64861 - 29/10/06 01:22 PM

Erik,

The sunflowers I am referring to have a black head surrounded by yellow petals. The black head is about a 1.5 inches high by 1 inch in diameter, so I might not be very productive if I shoot at them at longer ranges.

In the past I have tried the rolling tire shoot, but it was a lot of work for few shots.

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
      #64869 - 29/10/06 06:47 PM

I understand. I thought you were talking about the usual 6 inch or so big sunflowers. The kind with edible sunflower seeds. In which case I was suprised you could only hit them from 5 meters away!

Erik

Boomer
.300 member

Reged: 13/04/05
Loc: The Hudson Bay Coast, Canada
      #64882 - 30/10/06 09:14 AM

A drill I like is conducted in the following manner. A 5 gallon plastic oil pail is attached to a line about 100' long. The other end is attached to a vehicle or ATV. The rifleman is positioned behind the vehicle, and about 25 yards from the pail. On signal the vehicle accelerates away, and the pail jumps rolls and bounces towards the rifleman who does his best to hit it as many times as possible before it passes him. I can usually get 4 shots off, and my best score is 3 hits out of four shots with my .375 Ultra. It is useful to have a water supply to cool the barrel between rounds. Videoing the action allows one the opportunity to see his mistakes - which are far more important than his hits.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: shooting practice for Africa [Re: Boomer]
      #64911 - 30/10/06 11:56 PM

This is how I like to practice for African safaris ....

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Boomer
.300 member

Reged: 13/04/05
Loc: The Hudson Bay Coast, Canada
Re: shooting practice for Africa [Re: NitroX]
      #64964 - 31/10/06 11:05 AM

That's just showing off!

Going back to Africa via Australia might be a little cost prohibitive! Of coarse - think how well I could shoot by the time I got there.

--------------------

larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
      #65236 - 04/11/06 01:38 AM

Before flying to Africa I practise at the range , shooting in every positions at 50 and 100m.
But the best training is the real thing. The driven hunts season begins in end october and ends the 1th february. To shoot at running wild boars (and sometimes roe) I am using one of my 375HH. Yet when hunting from a treestand, I am using a 375HH as well. This enhance my ability in a very real situation.
There is the test used to qualify PHs too. 2 clay-pigeons are set on the ground, the distance between them being 10m. The wanabee PH stands at 25m with his back to the plates. At a signal the wanabee has to turn and shoot the 2 clay-pigeons in 2 seconds. A funny excercice.

For plain games, long distance shooting is fun too. Set small balloons at 100 and 200m (even further if You want). Then it's fun to shoot them in whatever position and cadence You fancy. Every hit is easily seeable, no need to haul and check any paper target. That's the way we check our rifle at 200m prior to going shoot mouflon and chamois in the Alps mountains.

But sure the best way is John's. The most serious and efficient ay is Dan's. The most incredible are Erik's and Boomer's.

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

benellisbe
.224 member

Reged: 10/07/07
Loc: GA
Re: shooting practice for Africa [Re: larcher]
      #87403 - 19/10/07 04:08 AM

I have been privileged enough to travel the world, and hunt or fish in most places I have been. For my practice regiment (for my upcoming Zim hunt... 4 more days) I tied melons (water balloons once I realized they are cheaper) to a very tall tree and practiced shooting moving targets by getting myself 25-50 yards away and (It takes another person to swing the item (WAIT FOR YOUR PARTNER TO GET CLEAR!)) swinging the melon/balloon mount and fire. Swinging the water balloons from a long line, allows a partner to get back to your position and practice a follow up shot as well. This was excellent practice. The balloons (melons) move very well and will force you to shoot (much like a field situation). If you can hit a 6 inch balloon swinging you shouldn't have a problem placing your shot (or your raking shot) where you want it. AGAIN, DO NOT SHOOT YOUR PARTNER. GIVE THEM TIME TO CLEAR. I can send some pics of my location if you would like to see the setup I used.

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
Re: shooting practice for Africa [Re: benellisbe]
      #87437 - 19/10/07 11:37 PM

I hang archery targets from tree branches and give them a push so they swing back and forth to imitate a moving target. Makes for a fun practice session.

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
      #87458 - 20/10/07 07:29 AM

Quote:

This is how I like to practice for African safaris ....

NitroX, it looks as though you subscribe to Ted Nugent's philosophy- "Wack 'em, and stack 'em". I like that.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: shooting practice for Africa [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #87481 - 21/10/07 03:47 AM

Hey I'd love some more practice of that kind.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
      #87493 - 21/10/07 08:48 AM

Next time you're ready for some more practice like that, give me a call.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 90 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3086

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com