Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: ULTIMATE LONG RANGE BIG GAME CARTRIDGE??

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
ULTIMATE LONG RANGE BIG GAME CARTRIDGE??
      #64658 - 26/10/06 01:39 AM

What cartridge would qualify for the best long range bonafide big game cartridge? This would include Elk/Moose but certainly not DG.I would exclude big deer as not "big enough".

Whether a rifleman should attempt to shoot past a specified distance is open to debate.This is subject to variables of climate, cartridge selection, and shooter experience and skill.

What % of hunters should even attempt such long range shots? ?? Probably very few.

That cartridge should have a flat trajectory and plenty of energy at distance. There should not be a "rainbow" trajectory leaving large variance for the impact site of the target at distance.

The 300 mags come to mind but I suggest one even larger--338-378 or maybe a 338 Lapua. A 250 gr projectile with a high BC would be excellent out to 450 yds before large vertical drops in trajectory occur. How about a 378 Weatherby? Big game such as elk etc deserve big bullets.

Any opinions? Is this discussion even relevent to hunting the animals noted?

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Edited by hoppdoc (26/10/06 01:40 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: ULTIMATE LONG RANGE BIG GAME CARTRIDGE?? [Re: hoppdoc]
      #64661 - 26/10/06 02:23 AM

Example: 650 yard shot at a moose across a lake. The third shot was perfect for line and elevation, only the moose had walked clear of the bullet's path before it got there. Moose took the first step just as the rifle went off, and 2 strides took it off line of impact. It could very well have been hit in the paunch, hind legs or whatever, had it taken only one step.
: I guess I'm already on record here as not liking long range big game shooting.
: .338 Ultra Mag. was used, giving false hope to the guide. The hunter didn't want to try the shot, but the inexperienced guide told him to shoot.
: I had quite a talk with this hunter upon his return to P.G. He felt sick about the whole affair due to the possibility of wounding and worse, losing the moose. Although the guide said he saw the bullet hit the brush where the moose was standing, the hunter wasn't sure he didn't poke the moose. This caused him anxiety most severe.
: I've personally witnessed 'sky shots' at moose, standing there dumbfounded as 'hunter's blasted away at a cow and her calf out in an open field, maybe 1/2 mile away. They said, "aren't you going to shoot?" "H$ll no!" The moose ran from the field, and they piled back into the trucks, saying "guess we missed" -(me) Aren't you going to go look for hair or blood? (them) "No - we missed 'cause they didn't drop".(me) "I saw the cow flinch" - (them) "we just grazed it"
: Now, I realize there are conciencous hunters out there with the skill to make long range shots. I have a very good friend who is one such person - an incredible game shot, who probably has shot more moose & elk past 300 or 400 yards than inside that range. Personally, I prefer to shoot big game inside 150 yards, 100 yards if I can, yet I routinely shoot gophers out to 450 yards to 500 yards with a .22 Hornet and .17AckHornet. So - although I have the skill, I also have a personal limit on range for big game. I prefer to do my huting before squeezing of the shot.
: There are guns available today with the power to do the job at long range. There aren't very many hunters with the capability or morals to go with those guns. Yes, there are some, but not many amonst the owners of such rifles, IMHO, of course.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: ULTIMATE LONG RANGE BIG GAME CARTRIDGE?? [Re: DarylS]
      #64665 - 26/10/06 04:00 AM

Hooray for Daryl_S!!! Well said and very true. Thank you for saying it!!

--------------------
DD, Ret.

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
      #64667 - 26/10/06 04:17 AM

My all-time favorite is .338 Win. Mag. followed closely by the .375 H&H Mag.

With proper optics and good practice these are good for "way out there".

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

hoppdoc
.400 member

Re: ULTIMATE LONG RANGE BIG GAME CARTRIDGE?? [Re: DarylS]
      #64670 - 26/10/06 04:47 AM

I will agree that most hunters are not candidates to confidently make a shot past 250+ yds but yes, some exist.

At distances past 150 yds shooting aids help immensely such as a scope, shooting sticks, an accurate rifle, and a scope with distance correction device in the reticle. A laser range finder is needed if the bullet trajectory changes substantially at a particular shooting distance and if shooting up or down that angle + distance must be considered as the trajectory is altered. Knowing the horizontal distance to the target(an opti-logic ranger) is of great benefit and addresses that issue over distance. In other words, with distance game shooting becomes more of a technical affair in addition to having no wind, no game movement etc.

But for those who have these aids the long shot is possible to 450 yds. Past that I feel the horizontal drop of the bullet makes long distance shooting an ethical problem. Hits can probably be made but whether they will be humane killing shots is questionable. The drop between 400-500 yds for a big magnum with a 100yd zero can be 18-20 inches vs a drop of 30 inches from 500 to 600 yds.

Which cartridge is the best?

The 338-378 WBY/338 Lapua are the ultimate long distance elk /moose rounds IMHO, --

--------------------

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
      #64673 - 26/10/06 07:12 AM

For genuine long range (past 500 yards) I would consider the 338 Lapua.

allenday
.333 member

Reged: 18/04/04
      #64731 - 27/10/06 05:52 AM

I consider the 300 Win. Mag. with premium 180 gr. bullets @ 3100 fps. and zeroed for 250 yds. to be as good an all-around long-range cartridge as you can run with. I've used it for moose at 300 yds., Coues deer at over 500 yds., Patterson's eland at 275 yds., gemsbok at 400 yds., pronghorn at close to 300 yds., etc., etc. It's always worked to perfection, and has left absolutely nothing to be desired.

It's become the biggest-selling belted-magnum chambering in the world, and ammo and brass are widely-available, and it kicks a lot less and makes a lot less noise than the bigger 300s and 338s, plus you can get by with a nice, light rifle with a 24" bbl. that won't break you (or your horse) down on the mountain, and yet you won't have to give up anything in the way of practical performance.

It's unfussy, extremely easy to work with, inherently-accurate (in a good rifle, varmint-accuate), and ALL branches of the U.S. armed forces use it for long range work, and 85% of all 1,000 yard Wimbleton Award winners have used it to win that prestigious trophy over the last forty-odd years. In addition, guys like Weatherby Award winner James Mellon have used it to literally take all huntable species of the world's big game.

How's that for a pedigree?

AD

Grizzly
.333 member

Reged: 05/12/05
Loc: Dallas, Texas, USA
Re: ULTIMATE LONG RANGE BIG GAME CARTRIDGE?? [Re: allenday]
      #64756 - 27/10/06 12:34 PM

338 Lapua with 250 grain Scenars or the 250 grain lockpointe with a boattail. At longer ranges, the wind you see at 100 yards can be totally different in speed and direction out past 500 years. A heavier bullet with a high bc and good velocity is less affected by the wind than a lighter bullet.

For those long range shots, you need to be able to judge the wind out to your target.

--------------------
SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member
DRSS Member

vapodog
.300 member

Reged: 28/12/04
Loc: Nebraska USA
Re: ULTIMATE LONG RANGE BIG GAME CARTRIDGE?? [Re: Grizzly]
      #71661 - 16/02/07 08:04 AM

possibly now the .375 Ruger will take over this distinction.

--------------------

Yochanan
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/03
Loc: Volksdiktatur Schweden
Re: ULTIMATE LONG RANGE BIG GAME CARTRIDGE?? [Re: vapodog]
      #71671 - 16/02/07 09:56 AM

From a theoretical point of view 408 CheyTac should be the perfect remedy

Personally I don't like shooting at ridiculous ranges and prefers to stalk closer every time it’s possible, with a good solid rest 350 meters is my absolute max range...

Cheers
Johan

--------------------
© "I have never been able to appreciate 'shock' as applied to killing big game. It seems to me that you cannot kill an elephant weighing six tons by ´shock´unless you advocate the use of a field gun." - W.D.M. Bell: Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter.

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: ULTIMATE LONG RANGE BIG GAME CARTRIDGE?? [Re: Yochanan]
      #71680 - 16/02/07 11:59 AM

I love shooting long range at... small game, i.e., sod poodles.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

Double_Trouble
.375 member

Reged: 27/04/06
Loc: Canada
Re: ULTIMATE LONG RANGE BIG GAME CARTRIDGE?? [Re: bonanza]
      #71724 - 16/02/07 11:45 PM

Couldnt agree more with you on that front Bonanza!.... the farther the better ...nothing better than to pull them out of the hole by their head and then broadside their next door neighbor when it comes over to see what just happened to his pal.

DT

--------------------
Double Trouble,
Speak not of what you do not know.
Listen up when it's time to.

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
      #73611 - 11/03/07 02:08 PM

The .338 Lapua, or .340 Weatherby. Not necessarily in that order.

Savuti_One_Shot
.300 member

Reged: 24/01/07
Loc: Florida
Re: ULTIMATE LONG RANGE BIG GAME CARTRIDGE?? [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #73636 - 12/03/07 01:37 AM

Well said, Daryl S!!!

My choice: 330 Dakota with 225 X or 250 A-Frame.

SOS

--------------------
"I've this damned cannon." - Robert Wilson

JTOMLINSON
.300 member

Reged: 16/02/05
Loc: York, England
Re: ULTIMATE LONG RANGE BIG GAME CARTRIDGE?? [Re: Savuti_One_Shot]
      #73866 - 15/03/07 02:31 AM

A practical choice I guess and in no particular order of preference would be would be the .338 Lapua, .338-378 Wby; 340 Wby or even .330 Dakota, if wildcats can be included how about including the .338- 408 Chey-tac with 300 grain bulets

Possibly the larger .300 Magnums (300 Ultra Magnum; 300 Allen Magnum or even .338 Lapua/300) would also prove sufficiently flat shooting with the 200 plus grain bullets to adequately get the job done

For my own part I have a .330 Dakota which is happy with 250 Partitions at a modest 2900 fps but works to all ranges I will ever need.

mngane
.224 member

Reged: 09/03/04
Re: ULTIMATE LONG RANGE BIG GAME CARTRIDGE?? [Re: JTOMLINSON]
      #77722 - 01/05/07 01:43 AM

300 or 338 Jarrett two of the most efficient and accurate cartridges that can push heavy, high BC bullets over 3000 FPS, without being overbore and having rediculous recoil / muzzle blast......I have used these two cartridges around the world with exceptional results. These two get my vote as long as you dont waste your hard earned money by having Jarrett rifles make them for you.

Plains99
.300 member

Reged: 10/11/04
Loc: Dodge City, Kansas, USA
Re: ULTIMATE LONG RANGE BIG GAME CARTRIDGE?? [Re: mngane]
      #79623 - 31/05/07 02:17 AM

I sure do like the .300 Wby. Normally I'll pass on a shot longer than 250 yards and conditions must be in my favor to try that but... the .300 WBY is such a straight shooting and fast round that I've made some surprising 100 to 200 yard shots on moving big game with minimal lead and elevation. You aim the gun give a bit of lead and the animal falls dead. For my shooting skill level it is all I need and makes me look better than I am.

bwananelson
.400 member

Reged: 08/10/07
Loc: DELTONA FLORIDA
Re: ULTIMATE LONG RANGE BIG GAME CARTRIDGE?? [Re: Plains99]
      #89347 - 20/11/07 11:22 AM

some its 50 feet some say 500 yards.its all how much you shoot to prepare for that one chance whatever caliber you choose put it in the vitals it will kill it.and its a plain fact most people just dont practice so they cant shoot.i am a 300 wby fan with barnes.have i missed hell yes but not much..............practice makes it happen................

--------------------
THERE ARE NO DO OVERS IN LIFE DONT LET A CHANCE AT A DREAM SLIP AWAY.

Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Re: ULTIMATE LONG RANGE BIG GAME CARTRIDGE?? [Re: bwananelson]
      #89356 - 20/11/07 02:21 PM

Besides not taking shots at big game past 250 yards, I don't take long shots at varmints either. I consider the lowly groundhog to be as worthy of respect as any other animal. My ethic is to make humane kills whenever I shoot an animal, regardless of its stature.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: ULTIMATE LONG RANGE BIG GAME CARTRIDGE?? [Re: Tatume]
      #89363 - 20/11/07 03:20 PM

Based on a recently released article where a NEW WORLD RECORD was set for a 1000 yard group at 1.4 inches--supposedly the caliber was a 338 lapua necked to .30 caliber--I would think this would be a contender..

In my neck of the woods where long shots can and will present themselves most everyone sights their firearm to shoot 2 to 3 inches high at a 100 yards--which allows one to hold on the target --especially an elk out to 400 yards and still hit the vitals---I have a 300 Ultra loaded to 3400 fps=--3 inches high puts me at 6.12 low at 400 yards and 18.4 at 500--

Do hear a lot of the 6.5/284 for 1000 yard matches as well--as it has a very high ballistic coefficient with 140 grain bullets...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

hoppdoc
.400 member

Re: ULTIMATE LONG RANGE BIG GAME CARTRIDGE?? [Re: Ripp]
      #89374 - 20/11/07 10:28 PM

I feel most hunters looking at a long range set up should really consider the 6.5/284.They possibly should even take this over a 300 Mag to have less recoil. High BC of .522 or better for a 140 gr bullet at 3000fps.Relatively low recoil.

I am considering this setup for my 140 pound son for long range.He is definitely not into recoil and magnum rounds.

In 30 cal I like the 300 Ultra with 200 gr Nosler partitions.My rifle loves 'em!!I have harvested an elk at a lasered 459 yards(2 witnesses)under perfect shooting conditions. I have also passed on 250 yard shots with swirling winds and steep angles.Every shot is unique!

I have a 338-378 Wby that is close but just not as accurate as the 300 ultra at longer ranges with 250 gr Nosler partition bullets. I guess want a higher BC and decent velocity than the 300 ultra 200grnr's and don't want to go to the 300 gr pills.

May have to get rid of this rig and get a 338 lapua hunting(not target) setup---

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #89381 - 21/11/07 12:14 AM

This following is not a rant, but just my opinion...

This whole topic makes me incredibly nervous for a few reasons.

Mostly because technical discussions about long range cartridges encourage long range shooting and while there are many many effective cartridges for long range shooting, there are infintesimally few shooters who can actually make use of any cartridge at long range.

The shooting of game at long range {for most hunters probably over 100 meters but for our purposes here say over 300} includes so many variables that IMO, generalized discussion is more or less ruled out of the question. Caliber considerations {except for interesting, esoteric ballistic discussion} leave me pretty bored because from what I've seen over the years the nuances don't matter for the lion's share of hunters who shouldn't be shooting past the point blank range of a 100-meter-zeroed rifle. MANY calibers will kill cleanly at 400 meters. Very few hunters will.

Before anyone howls, I readily admit that various parts of the world and country possess game, terrain and conditions of shooting that not only encourage long range shooting, but may demand it. And there are shooters who understand just how to get it done. I know some. They train for it under the conditions in which they later hunt, understand the rifle and caliber they are shooting, have spent enough time on the range in {including tough weather} and shoot lots. I have a friend over in Montana {for example} who has the opportunity and actually spends the time building the skill to use his rifle at +300. And he avoids long range shooting if at all possible.

But those fellows are very few.

Generalized discussions of long range shooting always seem to hover around the stereotypical American reliance on technical solutions to skill problems. And everyone knows that generalized long range game shooting discussions get lots of popular discussion off-forums also. In my county hunting is embedded in our culture. Unfortunately, shooting skill is not. Yet based on public discussion here and everywhere I've ever lived {various US states and southern Africa for that matter...}, long range shots are common, poorly followed-up and I suspect must result in a tremendous loss of game. Bars, fraternal organizations, churches and schools are chock-full of daily conversation about this long shot or that, this one made or this one missed, with debate as to the merits of this caliber or that. But I cannot ever remember a conversation involving extensive discussion of techniques and training involving the preparation of the shooter unless I dropped a turd in the punchbowl of the conversation by asking about it.

There is a lot of world out past 300 and it changes fast. Wind is the single greatest enemy of the good shot, and its effects are incredible past 300. Range estimation has in recent years been made easier by technical devices, but when +400 is reached even then minor variations can {will} result in a wounded animal, tough follow up or a "miss" {read: "gut shot"}. Movement of an animal before the bullet gets there is very difficult to calculate and adjust to by the shooter.

As for the technical, any deer, elk, gemsbok, oryx or pronghorn that ever lived can be killed cleanly at 400 yards with appropriate bullets and a .30-06 or .270 {or 7x64, .280, 7mm Remington Magnum or anything in that class} by a skilled shooter. Past 400 the demands on shooter and cartridge {primarily wind bucking & bullet performance} demand a lot of discussion about range time and training methods and ONE-SHOT GROUPS. By the latter I mean, a shooter must be able to make, on demand, a single shot into a kill-zone-sized target of his intended quarry every time and he should train this way. "Hey Joe; I stuck this target out at "guess-what yards". You have 15 seconds to shoot it. Go!"

I have a 500+ meter range here on the ranch and we have shot enough of that method for me to make every effort to shoot inside 200...

So the guy flubs a shot at "over 400" and next year he scraps his useless .30-06 and gets a .340. Two boxes of ammo later {"Darn that stuff is expensive..."} he'll be ready. He read it on a forum. Those shots outside the KZ?? Just "flyers".

Worse yet, he'll make a lucky shot at 400 and then proclaim that whatever piece of hardware he just skipped a pickup payment to buy is the Grim Reaper and everybody should buy it.

I don't buy most of it.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
      #89382 - 21/11/07 12:18 AM

IMHO Daryl has this right.

And again IMHO there is another issue to consider. We all know that not every animal "drops" as we would like. Sometimes we need to follow up quickly because the animal has moved and we cannot get another shot from our origional position.
500 yards is better than 1/4 mile, crossing rough ground often progress on foot is less than 1 MPH. So 15 minutes to get to the spot where you hit that creature. A wounded but not fatally hit animal will move so much faster than we humans can that there is every chance of never catching up with it again.

I do not doubt people who have made kills at long ranges, however again IMHO they are in the tiny minority of people who can dope wind and make hits at these ranges under hunting conditions. At 500 yards a 10 MPH wind can make an impact shift measured in feet. The overwhelming majority of hunters cannot make that adjustment, indeed it has been my experience that most cannot do so even at a range at a fixed distence off a solid rest.

Regards

hoppdoc
.400 member

Re: ULTIMATE LONG RANGE BIG GAME CARTRIDGE?? [Re: Bramble]
      #89392 - 21/11/07 03:47 AM

I have no problem with what the previous posters have said--

Long range shooting should be avoided unless the situation indicates it will be required to harvest the animal.

Moreso, you can't "buy" enough techno stuff to make you into a good shooter-you have to practice, and frequently.

I feel the shooter should be able to hit a saucer cup(5"-1/3 of a deers chest height-16") or an 8" pie plate(1/3 of an elks chest height-24") at distance before he attempts any similar long range shooting.450 yds is 50% longer than 300, and that is a long ways!!

If a fella wants to practice and become proficient shooting under Perfect conditions he must still have an accurate gun with great components(yes,money CAN buy this part of shooting)--trigger,optimal barrel, and a cartridge with a predictable trajectory.A flat shooting cartridge helps for the first 300 yds.A good scope with a trajectory feature,TDS, Boone/Crockett helps alot.An optilogic rangefinder helps judge "bullet" distance when the target is above or below the horizontal.

All in all I agree that few hunters can shoot out at 300yds, much less further.

Yet there are those with practice who can shoot long distance and hit consistently.

A fella just has to practice and know his limitations.

--------------------

Shanster
.275 member

Reged: 02/10/06
Loc: Seattle WA
Re: ULTIMATE LONG RANGE BIG GAME CARTRIDGE?? [Re: Bramble]
      #89393 - 21/11/07 04:10 AM

I have a 300WBY 6.5-20 Leopold mill dot with bipod. Ballistics cards sighted in at 200. I don’t feel comfortable on anything past 300 without perfect conditions and I always use a spotter with a range finder a ballistic card and knowledge of the rifle, quarry, and my ability. I took a mule deer at 165yds this year. With said spotter. Shot was within 1/2 of an inch were called for. Multiple trips to the range and $100 in ammo before the hunt.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8677

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com