Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Help me build a 404 Jeffrey

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
OldDog
.224 member

Reged: 11/10/06
Loc: Florida
Help me build a 404 Jeffrey
      #64034 - 15/10/06 01:22 AM

I'm new to this forum but have been impressed by the amount of experience demonstrated by many of the members. For many reasons, I've decided to build a 404 Jeffrey. It will be used to shoot for fun, fiddle with various loads, fondle, work on, admire and maybe even hunt with. Since the primary justification for a big bore, for me, is to hunt dangerous game with, I want a rifle that would be the most proficient within the constraints that I've set for this project. Potential hunting scenarios include bear in the CONUS and AK, and various DG in Africa. I do not envision shooting at dangerous game at more than 200 yards with this rifle.

As a starting point, I have a blued/chromoly Winchester Model 70 Classic in 300 RUM with walnut stock. It is a modified CRF with a good adjustable trigger and, hopefully, the correct magazine/feed rail geometry to keep modifications to a minimum. I will rebarrel with a Pac-Nor .423 CM barrel with a 1 in 14" twist. I would like to utilize the existing stock and have the finished product come out around 9 to 9.5 pounds.

The question(s) is(are): What needs to be done? I have already decided on the caliber, action, trigger, barrel and stock so suggestions that I use a different component won't be helpful but I do need advice on how to configure what I have into the best possible DGR within those limitations.

For instance, what barrel contour and length would you use? Given it's intended use and weight restriction, I'm thinking it should be reasonably short and stout, but I have no actual knowledge.

What sighting system? I'm leaning toward a low magnification scope on QD bases with backup irons but I have no experience with these. I've heard a lot of good things about the Brockman/Talley pop up ghost ring setup and it sounds good considering my less than perfect eyesight but I have never used one. Would a NECG banded front sight be a good idea? Would it work well with the Brockman/Talley pop up rear sight or am I better off with an express rear sight? Should I go with a barrel band front sling swivel eyelet? Who's?

In addition to properly bedding the barreled action, is putting one or more crossbolts in the stock necessary or is it OK, as is, since it's already set up for a 300 RUM? The current comb looks like a compromise on the height (although it is parallel). Since I will use the scope most of the time, is this adequate or should I have it lowered a bit for the irons?

I guess I'm asking what you would do to build this gun if you started off with the same pile of parts that I have. Any and all suggestions, sources, tips and warnings are greatly appreciated! Thanks for you time and assistance with my project.

Jim

--------------------
"Perspective changes everything"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
333Jeffery
.300 member

Reged: 21/04/06
Loc: Florida
Re: Help me build a 404 Jeffrey [Re: OldDog]
      #64050 - 15/10/06 06:51 AM

I would talk to Fred Zeglin at Z-Hat Rifles: www.z-hat.com
He can build what you are looking for, and is an easy guy to deal with. Hope this helps.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1689

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com