Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: BEST BUFF SHOT??

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
BEST BUFF SHOT??
      #63420 - 03/10/06 12:18 PM

Hunting situation--

You are stalking a BIG Buff in heavy cover and finally see him standing and then ONLY a front shoulder narrowly and clearly.Brush obscures other shooting placement

Double rifle tactics-Do you shoot your solid first going for crushing the shoulder, sending bone fragments through and through or do you shoot your A Frame soft trying to avoid the shoulder joint??

Big bolt guys? You gonna cycle that action(assume soft, then solids) at combat range or try to shoot and miss the shoulder bones??

I am concerned about a shoulder bullet blowup and then a wounded really Pissed off Buff--

Maybe you should pass on this monster Buff--

Gerntlemen--
What is the best tactics for each type rifle and WHY?.
Whatcha gonna do?

Thanks to all for any opinions on this scenario.

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Edited by hoppdoc (03/10/06 05:57 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: BEST BUFF SHOT?? [Re: hoppdoc]
      #63430 - 03/10/06 01:50 PM

My preference is for solids, so that I can shoot any angle which may be presented. Therefore no need to work the action.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: BEST BUFF SHOT?? [Re: 500grains]
      #63485 - 04/10/06 03:49 AM

HOPPDOC, Many adhear to 500grains system of useing only solids, and that has worked for many hunters for more than 100 yrs of African hunting.

I'm one who started out that way, back when most soft points were simply not well enough designed to be reliable on things like Buffalo from most angles. Times have changed, however, and there are many quality soft points today, that will drive right through most bones in animals in the Cape Buffalo class. Today I always load a soft on top, in a bolt rifle, followed by solids. In my doubles I load a soft in the right barrel and a solid in the left. I've been looking at useing the NF cup points for everything lately, we'll see!

The old soft bullets usually opened up too much on the tough hide of the Buff, before it even got to a bone. The new controlled expansion soft bullets of today are much better, and only open enough to make a larger wound channel, while remaining heavy enough to shatter large bones causeing secondary shrapnel to cut bolld vessels. Then with the follow-up with solids, makes this a great combination, for up the old shute going away shots that can reach the control room, from behind.

For someone who wants a choice the chamber can be kept empty, so a soft, or solid can be chambered when the target is found. If a snapp shot is needed then noise is not a problem, and you can simply cycle the bolt to chamber a solid from the magazine. In a double with a soft in the right barrel, you still have a choice, of a soft or solid, without opening the action. However if the need is for both to have solids the double can be opened in complete silence.

There is no law that says anyone has to use one method over the other! It is simply a matter of choice, because both methods work fine! PICK ONE!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: BEST BUFF SHOT?? [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #63541 - 04/10/06 06:50 PM

With todays bonded softs, are there reasons not to try shoot thru shoulder bones?

I think past bullet experience on Buff may suggest that the nosler partition is too soft but the Swift A Frame may hack it, penetrate the shoulder to get to the lungs/heart region.

Does anyone feel the Swift A Frame is NOT up to penetrating a Buff shoulder or are we strictly in solid bullet territory there?

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Scott
.275 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Florida, USA
      #63603 - 05/10/06 01:57 PM

I would shoot through the shoulder. I prefer to break bone to keep the tracking short. I do not have this problem since I use Barnes bullets, which will go through bone.

Ndumo
.300 member

Reged: 21/12/03
Loc: Namibia
      #63613 - 05/10/06 04:03 PM

I caliber .416 and bullet weight 400gr and up, a good quality soft like Swift Aframe, Barnes, Rhino, TBBC are all that is needed. In .375 and 9.3, I would try and avoid the shoulderbone. However, if the buff is standing angled enough so that you can slip a bullet in front of the shoulder joint, that must rate as one of the best shots with even lighter (.375 class) to down a buff quickly.

--------------------
Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris (Pty) Ltd.
karl@huntingsafaris.net
www.huntingsafaris.net
+264 811 285 416

Ndumo
.300 member

Reged: 21/12/03
Loc: Namibia
      #63614 - 05/10/06 04:03 PM

In caliber .416 and bullet weight 400gr and up, a good quality soft like Swift Aframe, Barnes, Rhino, TBBC are all that is needed. In .375 and 9.3, I would try and avoid the shoulderbone. However, if the buff is standing angled enough so that you can slip a bullet in front of the shoulder joint, that must rate as one of the best shots with even lighter (.375 class) to down a buff quickly.

--------------------
Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris (Pty) Ltd.
karl@huntingsafaris.net
www.huntingsafaris.net
+264 811 285 416

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: BEST BUFF SHOT?? [Re: Ndumo]
      #63699 - 07/10/06 04:29 PM

Bonded-core soft on the point of the shoulder. No need for solids on buff these days IMO, as other posters have already pointed out.

A Woodleigh, for example, will break the first shoulder, pass through heart/lungs/whatever, and almost always break the second shoulder. Depending on calibre, it may pull up in the off-side shoulder after breaking it, or pull up under the hide. They rarely penetrate completely after breaking both shoulders in my experience, which is on Asian buff rather than Cape buff. The former are probably heavier in the shoulder than the latter anyway.

The only exception really is if the bullet breaks the shoulder then centres the spine where it dips down between the shoulder-blades, in which case it may pull up in the spine. Very dead buffalo, in any case!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2248

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com