Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: North Fork Bullet Penetration???

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
North Fork Bullet Penetration???
      #63292 - 01/10/06 10:43 PM

A recent article In African Hunter suggested a foot less penetration from a North Fork soft vs a Swift A Frame.

Anecdotal hunting evidence from one hunter suggests performance/penetration issues on Buffalo and wildebeast on another forum with North Fork bullets.

Any penetration problems with North Fork bullets noted by members of this forum? What rifle caliber /bullet/velocity was being shot?

I am concerned as I am loading up some North Fork 370's for a 416 Rigby hopefully at 2500 fps.

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DPhillips
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/03
Loc: Alaska
Re: North Fork Bullet Penetration??? [Re: hoppdoc]
      #63327 - 02/10/06 09:24 AM

I've used the .30 caliber 200 grain for a few years out of my 300 H&H. Velocity is roughly 2950-3000 fps (26" barrel). For African game, I took 4 animals with that bullet - Southern Greater Kudu, common Sable, common Nyala and common Waterbuck.

The Kudu was about 100 yards shot through the neck, bullet exited.

The sable was about 120 yards running, slightly quartering away from me. Hit it about mid-ribcage and it exited through the offside shoulder.

The Nyala was shot as it spun to leave at about 70 yards. The shot went in just above the tail and exited the chest. Second shot was in the neck as the bull struggled to rise. It also exited.

The waterbuck first shot hit a limb about 10 feet from the muzzle (I did not see the limb) and hit the bull a little far back. Second shot was headon in the chest, the bullet exited out the ham. Put a final shot into it as it tried to slip away from about 10 yards through the shoulder blade and exited the chest (shot from above).

The North Fork bullets are the most accurate I've tried in this rifle. Based on the performance in the size of animals I took, I'm sold. I didn't recover any of the bullets from animals that are the size of what the 300 H&H is designed for. I can't say if they are better than the Swift A-Frame, but they are more accurate in my rifle. The A-Frames I've used in the past seemed to duplicate the Nosler Partition performance, with maybe a little better weight retention. All three of these are outstanding bullets.

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: North Fork Bullet Penetration??? [Re: hoppdoc]
      #63332 - 02/10/06 09:52 AM

Hopdoc

A lot of variables come into play and unless all the facts are known, anecdotal evidence is not always the best to make a judgement / decision on.

500 Nitro

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: North Fork Bullet Penetration??? [Re: 500Nitro]
      #63341 - 02/10/06 01:01 PM

Here is something I already posted about this bullet test:

In reply to:

Test medium was recently expired elephants. There is no way to be sure that the internal resistance that one bullet faced was the same as another. One bullet may get a free ride through a large section of lung, while another may hit a rib on the way in. So take the data for what it is - a report of what I saw the bullets do in dead elephants. The sample is not statistically reliable, so next time the NF may out-penetrate the SAF. Perhaps the next guy going over can run another test and let us know. However, the pics of the recovered bullets are interesting.

Also keep in mind that while we want maximum penetration from a solid, we do not necessarily want that in a soft. A soft should open up in time to be have a nice mushroom when passing through the vitals. That bullet may not penetrate as far as one that only mushrooms after it has left the vitals and is travelling in gut. But it may be more lethal.

Guess what bullet I am taking elk hunting this year?

NF softs.

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: North Fork Bullet Penetration??? [Re: 500grains]
      #63343 - 02/10/06 01:12 PM

500grains

I couldn't have put it better - well written.

Where is the original post ?

I would be interested in reading it.

500 Nitro

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: North Fork Bullet Penetration??? [Re: 500Nitro]
      #63345 - 02/10/06 01:25 PM

The article was in African Hunter, but if you do not subscribe I can email a copy.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1923

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com