Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Cross Bow for a rookie

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Bowhunting + Bows, Spears & Knives

Pages: 1
Double_Trouble
.375 member

Reged: 27/04/06
Loc: Canada
Cross Bow for a rookie
      #63153 - 27/09/06 11:49 PM

i am in the market for a cross bow to take black bear with and have absolutely no idea of which bow to purchase....make or model.

I will not use the bow all that often but i may have the opportunity to take moose with it as well and i want to make sure that it will do the job on game as large as that.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks

--------------------
Double Trouble,
Speak not of what you do not know.
Listen up when it's time to.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
GG375
.333 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Loc: Brisbane
Re: Cross Bow for a rookie [Re: Double_Trouble]
      #66490 - 07/12/06 05:07 AM

Double Trouble

Go to this site - www.excaliburcrossbow.com - find the forum and you will get all the info you need. These are great X bows and very accurate.

Cheers.

GG

Double_Trouble
.375 member

Re: Cross Bow for a rookie [Re: GG375]
      #66491 - 07/12/06 05:35 AM

GG

thanks for the tip but i already made a purchase ,,,,, fortunately though i bought an Excalibur i got the Excocet 200 with 330 FPS velocity and i am more than happy with it!

i took it out last weekend (without having had a chance to sight it in ) we didnt see any deer but decided to set up a target and give it a whirl and i was blown away!
straight out of the box, i was dead nuts straight and about 3 inches high at 35 yds. with all three shots!

the way i see it, there is no need to touch the sights at all and i cant wait to drill a deer with a shiny new broadhead before this season ends.

thanks again for the reply, i had given up and did my own homework and its nice to hear that i made the right call.

DT

--------------------
Double Trouble,

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #66516 - 07/12/06 02:19 PM

DT

Good topic to bring up. Sorry I had no experience to share.

But at one time our illustrious government wanted to ban crossbows here as well. Probably watched "William Tell" or "Mad Max 2" on TV and got all bothered about assasins carrying concealed crossbows after them.

So I thought I got to try one before they are banned!

Last time I was in a shop they weren't banned yet, so maybe ...

BTW the crossbow association in Oz thought they needed extra help so informed the authorities that compound bows were very similar so the Gubbmint added them to the ban list as well. Jerks.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Double_Trouble
.375 member

Re: Cross Bow for a rookie [Re: NitroX]
      #66538 - 07/12/06 11:24 PM

no prob NitroX,,, like i said, i did my homework and i'm happy.
Excalibur offers one model higher than the one i purchased with a velocity of 350 FPS but i almost popped a nut trying to draw the string back, as it is, i purchased the cocking aid for the one i bought. i would reccomend the cocking aid for two reasons; one is the relative ease of effort ( it cuts the required amount of energy by 50%) and secondly, if used correctly, it assures that the string is drawn back perfectly straight... a critical element in accuracy.

I had never shot one of these before and i was impressed as hell... the fibre optic sight on this thing jumps out at you and what you see is what you get.

i would venture to guess that on a windless day and bench shooting that a 2" group at 30 yds would be attainable.

that deal on the compound bows stinks.... it's just sometimes better to shut the hell up and let a sleeping dog lie.

If you still have a crack at getting one .... grab it while you can is my suggestion. I am quite sure that this thing is capable of taking down whatever you point it at!

i will say this though, i am used to walking while hunting with a rifle and this is not the easiest thing to walk through bush with and will take some getting used to as there is a lot of stuff that gets hung up in the tall grass and tag alders.

gonna find me a good stump and wait on a buck or racoon or squirrel or fox or coyote or some damn thing and drill it!

or maybe just sit at the petrol depot on the hood of my chopped '68 Ford Galaxie 500 with it tucked up under my black leather duster and wait on that weird lookin' cat in the one seat ultra light chopper and take him out ,,,, Mad Max indeed! lol

DT

--------------------
Double Trouble,

larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
      #67059 - 14/12/06 06:21 PM

I never used one but I'd be content to have a try once.
A crossbow is a favorite poacher's weapon, that's why here, the crossbow is prohibited for hunting. In fact it's more efficient that a bow, more powerful, more flat-shooting and small enough to be hiden under a coat or whereever in the woods.
I never saw anyone using it at the range too. There is something with a infamy's flagrance around the crossbow.

I won't speak of military use for I don't want to upset our Brit pals with bygone antagonism

DT I sincerely wish You plenty of fun with Your damned arm.

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Cross Bow for a rookie [Re: larcher]
      #67060 - 14/12/06 07:56 PM

I tried a mediaeval replica cross-bow in Prague castle in the Czech republic back in 2002. In a long hall way above the alley where the shops and stalls are they have setup a crossbow shooting range for the tourists. Distance was about 30 metres. You had to pay a fee, was reasonable and had three shots at a target.

Some gentlemen ahead of me were having a go, and completely missing the target, hitting the ceiling, walls etc. The Czech staff weren't pleased as bolts were breaking.

I had a go then. First I noticed was the crap sights. Then I noticed the front sight was pointing a good three feet to the left just before firing, from the manner I was holding the cross bow. Corrected that and hit the target about 5 cms above the aiming point, a 2.5 cm square. Fired again and made sparks off the original bolt. Then aimed 5 cms lower and hit the bull.

The staff were impressed (yes I am bragging ). I decided then I wanted one one day.

Good poachers weapon too.

Double_Trouble
.375 member

Re: Cross Bow for a rookie [Re: NitroX]
      #67080 - 14/12/06 11:51 PM

Bragging you say? as well you should!.....fine shooting!
I hope that was followed by a good Budaviser(sp) Czech Beer.

Poachers weapon eh?.... I live adjacent to a golf course and most days (and early evenings) there are more green dumping Canada Geese out there than you can shake a stick (or 9 iron) at.

oft times I have debated taking a Christmas Goose from one of the second floor windows with my 22 mag. but sitting under a tree nearby the pond with my cross bow ...hmmmmm
nah! tough to explain to the kids where all the feathers came from lolol

DT

--------------------
Double Trouble,

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2290

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com