Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Baikal Double SxS Rifle in Australia

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
Michael
.275 member

Reged: 28/07/05
Loc: Darwin, Northern Territory
Baikal Double SxS Rifle in Australia
      #62834 - 21/09/06 06:31 PM

This may be old news to some but I thought I'd share with others who may not know. I have personally handled a sxs (yes! that is side by side) double rifle from Baikal (not Spartan) in 30/06 calibre.

I viewed the gun when I collected my latest addittion (and first double rifle) a sxs Pedersoli in 8x57JRS.

My first impressions on the Baikal was that it was extremely light so I'd imagine that this would be a nightmare in 45/70 and also the build quality left a lot to be desired. That said for $1,375 with case, you could have your own sxs double rifle to play with.

To be honest it really wasn't in the same league as my Pedersoli quality wise, but I also understand that Baikal have produced this at a price that is affordable for a lot of hunters and for that i am truly grateful. To be honest I will be purchasing a 45/70 when / if they surface in this country but for the near future my thirst has been briefly quenched with my latest toy.

PS. If any of the guys out there in the know of the Australian double scene, have had any experience with a Pedersoli double rifle and most likely my 8x57JRS as it is only one of two apparently sold in this country, I would appreciate hearing from them.

According to Graham Forbes (importer Pedersoli Australia) there were only two of these rifles sold here, and Australian Shooter did a story and test on one several years ago. I have scoured through my collection of old mags but have come up with nothing therefore if anyone knows something about the rifle or has a copy of the article I would love to hear from them.

Thanks,

Michael.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Baikal Double SxS Rifle in Australia [Re: Michael]
      #62836 - 21/09/06 06:51 PM

Michael

You have a PM as I think I know of where another
Pedersoli 8mm double is.

500 Nitro

Michael
.275 member

Re: Baikal Double SxS Rifle in Australia [Re: 500Nitro]
      #62837 - 21/09/06 07:07 PM

Email sent.

Thanks for the help.

Michael.

empirevr
.375 member

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: England,but now Italy.
      #62852 - 22/09/06 02:59 AM

Michael.......

Is the little gun tough? light,how light?

I was thinking of getting one as a knock-about boar gun.

Ben

Michael
.275 member

Re: Baikal Double SxS Rifle in Australia [Re: empirevr]
      #62871 - 22/09/06 09:53 AM

Tough....mmmm..actually felt a little plasticy if you know what I mean which is not what Baikal gun traditionally feels like. I am a big wrap for their shotguns (I own two of them) but this little double seems to have been made on a smaller frame with the central rib between the barrels actually made of some plastic/poly material.

The sights are shocking with the front sight in particular being absurd (a piece of poky wire), why they didn't fit a small bead is beyond me. To answer the original question it is very light!! Much lighter than a bolt action rifle of the same calibre, that's my impression anyway.

That said, if the regulation system works then the addittion of decent sights and a recoil pad should see this transform into a good little shooter. Especially if the intended use is for running boars or hunting in the woods. As I said previously despite the failings I do understand that it is a budget gun and people shouldn't compare this with the $10,000+ doubles out there.

It will be a lot of fun, and for the money spent on the initial purchase the extra required for the accessories to bring it up to scratch won't hurt at all.

Michael.

empirevr
.375 member

#62877 - 22/09/06 11:20 AM

Plastic rib you say?

Sounds tacky,but you do get what you pay for i suppose.......

Could be handy as a worker,shame it isnt like the shotguns.....had a short,strong,tough,chrome=bore baikal 12g 23/4 for a few years.....not terribly heavy but very tough and solid indeed.

Ben

Michael
.275 member

#62888 - 22/09/06 01:59 PM

Yes, I agree their shotguns are buit like the proverbial brick sh#thouse so they know how to make tough actions. The reason for the plastic (let's call it that until positive ID of the material used) rib is so that the barrel(s) can be moved by the adjustment screw to allow variable settings fo rdifferent loads.

This is in itself an innovation for double rifles so I do not criticise them for this alone, but it does lower the overall wieght of the outfit and affects the balance of the gun. I am sure that future production models will be far superior to this first effort after feedback from customers. I also hope that the detractors aren't too severe because if this leap into tthe doube rifle world is not a financial success it will deter Baikal (and others) from further production.

I will buy a 45/70 when they become available even on my criticisims stated above, as I will fit proper express sights and a sufficient recoil pad which should counter my main initial problems. Now if there are actual problems with the action etc. this is a bridge we'll have to cross when we come to it.

All in all I applaud Baikal for their foray into the double gun market and I hope that they are successful.

Michael.

empirevr
.375 member

#62902 - 22/09/06 08:48 PM

Hi

Well........

I take it the gun is stock heavy then? did you think of getting a smith to replace the rib with a steel one etc?

Also,what is the action itself like?

I am curious as i had thought these may be good for those Garrett 'hot' loads.....given Baikals typical shotgun strength.

What psi proofing has it?

Ben

Michael
.275 member

#62922 - 23/09/06 01:06 AM

The stock is not particularly heavy just that the barrels are exceptionaly light. Modifying the central rib is not an option it is integral to the gun and also the aforementioned sighting system.

Regarding the action and the pressures that it can stand I am in no way a gunsmith therefore I can not comment but I assume that it would be safe with modern loads. That is something to be tested when the 45/70 finally comes on the scene.

Either way we all should be careful in not trying to make this into something it isn't. It is a fun, cheap double rifle. Take it hunting, shoot some targets, enjoy it!!!!

empirevr
.375 member

#62932 - 23/09/06 06:35 AM

Cheap working sxs double......but hard as nails is definately expected for the price,yet fit and finish mean little for such money.

One may always customise a rifle to fit better,balance better,but if the action/barrels and locks arent strong and good........its a lost cause.

I'd certainly want it to fire hot loads of 45-70......but then,isnt the breach pressure higher in the 30-06 than the 45-70 by a long way???

Ben

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #62934 - 23/09/06 06:49 AM

empire

"but if the action/barrels and locks arent strong and good........its a lost cause."

Well if you want a double rifle where the locks are strong and good, spend a bit more money and buy something else.

The Baikal's are mass produced for the low end bottom feeder market where price is the issue, not quality or strength or looks, just will it go abng for the lowest $.

Baikal couldn't give a sh*t whether anyone likes it or what you want to do with it, all they want to do is sell heaps of them and keep the factory churing them out at the lowest cost, highest profit margin equation.

I have to agree with the previous poster in that you are trying to make it into something it isn't.

And most DR's won't take +P loads anyway.

But then it's your money and your gun so it is up to you to do what you want with it.

500 Nitro

empirevr
.375 member

Re: Baikal Double SxS Rifle in Australia [Re: 500Nitro]
      #62936 - 23/09/06 07:07 AM

Nitro.....

Well even if cheap and not very cheerful, i wouldnt expect it to be all that much different from their shotguns......strong,but a bit brutally finished off.

Besides, i am spending more,on an English double, thing is that though content using it it will be cherished.....

Ben

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 72 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3372

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com