Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: RAIN in Oz?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
RAIN in Oz?
      #6164 - 27/12/03 05:38 AM

Yeah right, rain? I heard it never rains there.

Do you get mudslides? Floods? Any kind of weather related disasters?

Rain is a good time to hunt here, makes covering ground easy and silent.

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bakes
.375 member

Reged: 31/01/03
Loc: QLD
Re: RAIN in Oz? [Re: AspenHill]
      #6172 - 27/12/03 12:37 PM

Ann

In reply to:

Any kind of weather related disasters

Cyclone Tracey, Christmas eve 1974 destroyed Darwin. Blew it off the map. We (my family) lost everything. They've only just found (this year) a fishing trawler that went down with 3 on board.

I'm in the wet season now. On Thursday-Friday we got 10 inches of rain. The Katherine river went from 6 to 16 meters in 4 hours. We had kids paddling down their streets in kayaks. Its rained every day since.

In 1998 the Katherine river broke its banks and peaked at 26 meters or so. A few people were killed, most of the town flooded and clean up workers found a 4 meter croc in woolworths eating the rotting meat.

Mudslides, yep one happend in Threadbo,a ski resort town, a few years ago. Killed about 13 people, one guy survived.

I have hunted in the rain, but not up here, we have great lightning storms and the wet season rain will beat you down then you'll get bogged and can't get out of the paddock.

I'm going to try for a hunt next weekend. I hunt on a place that has an all weather access road runninhg through it. If we go to the stoney ridges we should see some donkeys or buff.

Now the seasons are arse about to what your used to. Your winter is our summer in the southern states. In northern Australia its the wet season (monsoon).

Your summer is our winter is Northern Australian dry season, where no rain falls for about 6-8 months. At the end of the dry we have the build up where temp's rise and clouds build up but still no rain (best time to hunt, find whatever water is left and you find game). At the end of the wet we have the run off where all the water is running off the flood plains (best time to catch a Barra).
Hows that? see it does rain down here.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: RAIN in Oz? [Re: Bakes]
      #6173 - 27/12/03 12:52 PM

In reply to:

At the end of the wet we have the run off where all the water is running off the flood plains (best time to catch a Barra).

Very true.

Fished in the North one year in April, just after the Wet. Caught a lot of barra, usually several a day. Thought it was very easy. Don't know anything about fishing by the way.

Read about guys writing how great it was to catch one or two a trip!

Ann

SA has a Mediterannean climate similar to the Mediterranean (n kidding!), Cape Town And Perth in WA.

We have hot dry summers, with occasional thunder storms and cool wet winters. Lovely Spring and Autumns. The rainfall (total precipitation) here is only 18 to 24 inches, most in July and August. Had an inch and half last week. Bakesey sent down some effects of the cyclone.

Rivers in most of Aust tend to have small and wider banks. A smaller area for the usual rains. Most rivers are actually creeks as they are dry from 3 months to 10 months of the year. Wider banks for winter floods. And floodplains all around for the big floods. Early Europeans learned not to build their villages along the banks of rivers and creeks as they were destroyed or got flooded every year.

Other parts of Aust eg Sydney receive a lot of Summer rain and as Bakes said the North has two distinct seasons, the Wet and the Dry. SE Victoria and even more so Tasmania are always quite wet. Australia is a continent after all not just a country.

Hunting in the rain.

I find the time after the rain, particularly in warmer months very productive for small game such as the local rabbits and hares. If it is warm and a light rain is falling, I enjoy very much hunting in this weather.

If it is cold and wet a lot of animals such as deer will seek a sunny spot on a hillside to dry off when the sun comes out, as they will in the mornings to warm up after the nights chill

On the pig hunting trip last year the rain was very useful even though we were stuck for a day. The rain obliterated the tracks meaning the pig sign and movements could be ascertained much easier. Always good to learn about animal movements from their sign in the freshly washed earth.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
Re: RAIN in Oz? [Re: Bakes]
      #6236 - 29/12/03 10:01 PM

Thanks guys! Hey, I am still planning to set foot there in 2005.

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1656

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com