Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Brno ZKK602 actions for custom rifle.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
cr500
.300 member

Reged: 11/10/03
Loc: Singleton ,Australia
Brno ZKK602 actions for custom rifle.
      #6230 - 29/12/03 07:56 PM

I,m getting a ZKK (Brno)602 action with the push button peep sight made into a good custom gun. Is this action considered to be of good pedigree ,IE is it a genuine Mauser M98 design. I know it is functionaly very suitable for a big game rifle(458Lott) ,but would its humble brand name beginning ,limit its value as a top quality custom gun. Would big name builders(like Pete Grisel or Rigby for example) use a Brno action for the basis of a top quality rifle?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
Re: Brno ZKK602 actions for custom rifle. [Re: cr500]
      #6234 - 29/12/03 08:43 PM

CR 500,
Yes the big Brno action has been used in many custom rifles and has also been used by big name makers.
They differ from the 98 Mauser in several ways, most notably in their ejector and trigger systems.
They are closer to the design of the original pre 64 Winchester than the 98 Mauser.
The early peep sight actions are supposed to be of better quality than later Brno's but after owning both types I'm not so sure on that issue.
That said I'd rather have the earlier peep action as I happen to like peeps.

The action has many plusses as far as big game rifles go.
It also has a few things that will need some "fixing".

The 5 shot drop magazine is sometimes a bit too wide and this allows cartridges to float back and forth when the bolt is closed.
On a big banger this can hammer the hell out of soft point ammo during recoil.

The bolt, even on the peep actions can be a bit "draggy" and can do with some lapping and smoothing and also some attention is needed regarding the ejector spring pressure.

The safety works ass about face.

The "single set" trigger is not much chop on a big gun so hopefully you also have the standard trigger as well.

The integral 3/4" scope dovetails limit the type of mounts you can fit, and also depending what mounts are used, you may have to organize some sort of recoil stop for them.

The bolt handle requires a higher than ideal scope mount especially if the rifle is stocked to use open sights.

The knife edge extractor notch cut into factory 375 and 458 barrels can play havoc with cartridge feed on the big blunt round nose soft point bullets.

These are a few things that I had to address when I built a semi custom Brno 602 458 Win Mag.
They can be made into a very good big game rifle and I really did like mine.
Thing is I like doubles better and it had to be sold.

cr500
.300 member

Re: Brno ZKK602 actions for custom rifle. [Re: 4seventy]
      #6239 - 29/12/03 10:11 PM

4seventy
I didnt know the ZKK was more like a pre 64 win. I hope it has the better features of both. As for the bolt handle being a bad shape ,needing the scope to be lifted up higher ,I dont like this. I wanted the scope to be mounted as low as possible as the gunmaker will be making the custom mounts. I will be getting a new bolt anyway, do you know if there are any after market bolts for sale which are better, or will it be a matter of modifying the bolt handle. He did have in his info package about different bolt handles if not. The action will be getting blue printed and smoothed over so any roughness will be getting sorted out. I just hope that with the cheap Brno name ,it wasnt going to be a case of trying to turn a VW beetle into a Rolls Royce(sort of)

cr500
.300 member

#6240 - 29/12/03 10:25 PM

Are any aftermarket bolts available for this action, or bottom metal work to increase the mag capacity with the new stock to suit?

4seventy
Sponsor

#6250 - 30/12/03 07:19 AM

The original bolt handle can be altered or an aftermarket handle could be used.
Brownells in the US can supply weld on aftermarket bolt handles.
The 602 already comes with an extended type magazine box which will easily hold 5 belted magnum rounds.
The magazine floorplate is a bit ugly though I reckon.

I don't know what scope you intend using but the Leupold Compact types use a smaller ocular lens than their other scopes and this can assist in obtaining a lower mounting height.
The only problem with very low scope mounting is that it can sometimes make it more difficult to load the cartridges into the magazine.
The mounts need to be very good quality and fit and MUST include some type of recoil stop to prevent them moving along the dovetails and slipping in the rings during recoil.
The Brno has a recess machined into the left side of the rear scope base for this purpose.
Warne make a lever type QD mount system for Brnos but they are most likely made to clear the standard bolt handle and therefore could be higher than you want.

cr500
.300 member

#6257 - 30/12/03 09:26 AM

I will be using the 2.5 compact leupold with either custom made or Talley rings. One reason I wanted the extra depth in the mag area was that I was thinking about maybe making it a 505 Gibbs instaed of a 458 Lott. I will probably stick to a Lott, but if I could get it made into a switch barrel/bolt gun ,then maybe both

4seventy
Sponsor

#6259 - 30/12/03 10:20 AM

The difference between cartridge case head diameters of 505 Gibbs and 458 Lott could present dramas regarding a switch barrel system.
You would most likely need to switch to a different bolt as well.
It may also be a bit tricky getting the feed right for both cartridges.

I have a 2-1/2 compact Leup on a double and it works real nice.

cr500
.300 member

#6278 - 30/12/03 05:48 PM

Yes ,I suppose it will be impracticle to have a dangerous game rifle in switch barrel, I,ll leave it for my benchrest guns. I think it would be best to leave the gun as a 458 Lott. For a bigger bore, I will get it in a double(a cheaper one)in 470 or 577.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4385

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com