Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Beretta 471 Silver Hawk problem...

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Shotguns

Pages: 1
EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Beretta 471 Silver Hawk problem...
      #62258 - 08/09/06 06:27 PM

Hi Guys,

I've had a Beretta 471 Silver Hawk in 20/76 that started having a hard time ejecting cases after a few hundred shots. With various makes of rounds, and both with 70mm and 76mm cases. So I started checking it over, and eventually saw that there is a gap in the action where the water table meets the standing breech (as seen where the red ring is in the picture below). If you hold it up to the light, you can see straight thru to the other side. No other shotgun I own, or have owned have ever had such a gap. To me, this looks like it's "off face". And as the gun has had a total of maybe around 800 rounds thru it, there's no way it should be like this as far as I can tell.

The gun was sent in to the importer, who then sent it in to their gunsmith. The gunsmith told them that it should be sent down to Beretta in Italy for fixing, or replacing.

Eventually though, the importer decided that instead of me having to wait, they'd give me a new gun. And while going thru their inventory to find me one with a nice stock, they saw that all their 471 Silver Hawks in stock have the same gap. So now the importer's saying that the 471 is made this way intentionally...

This may be correct, but I thought I'd check around with Silver Hawk owners in other countries to see if theirs has the same little gap. If so, I guess it's supposed to be so. If not, I have to wonder if our Importer got a shipment of lemons???

Also, if this gap is standard, we'll then have to find out why cases have begun to become sticky when being ejected.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Erik

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: Beretta 471 Silver Hawk problem... [Re: EricD]
      #62283 - 09/09/06 10:31 AM

That gap is normal, and should be there. Some where in the vast archive a real gunsmith described in awesome detail the road all SxSs will take before comming off face. If you could not see that gap, then it is called being on the flats and it's time to have it serviced. Try this: take a peice of printer paper and close the action on it, on the breech. If you can pull it out, it's just off face. If it's snug, you are fine.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Beretta 471 Silver Hawk problem... [Re: bonanza]
      #62291 - 09/09/06 12:49 PM

Hey Bonanza, what you say is true, an action which is down on the flats will need servicing soon, but the 'printed paper' test is a joke, right? The average piece of paper is around 4 thou. If a double gun has 4 thou clear gap right across the breech-face when fully closed, it is not 'just off face', it is scandallously loose!!!

No way known should a tight gun even close with a bit of paper on the breech-face.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: Beretta 471 Silver Hawk problem... [Re: Marrakai]
      #62308 - 09/09/06 09:41 PM

Marraki,

You are correct, but paper is slightly compressable(sp) and makes for a quick and dirty check.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

338X74R
.275 member

Reged: 19/05/04
Loc: Norway
Re: Beretta 471 Silver Hawk problem... [Re: EricD]
      #63720 - 08/10/06 06:55 AM

I have just checked my Beretta Silver Hawk 470 (the predecessor of the 471), and it has the same very small gap. The gun is tight as a safe, and I am quite sure the gap is there on purpose.

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Re: Beretta 471 Silver Hawk problem... [Re: 338X74R]
      #63851 - 11/10/06 03:57 AM

Thanks for the input guys.

The gun is being sent from the importer to another gunsmith to check out the poor ejection, as this is clearly unrelated to the "gap" mentioned.

Erik

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4121

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com