Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: New (to me) Rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
DPhillips
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/03
Loc: Alaska
New (to me) Rifle
      #6205 - 28/12/03 08:28 PM

I just picked up a rifle that has been under my skin for many long years. It's a pre-64 Winchester M70 (1952) chambered for 300 H&H Mag. The rifle is a standard grade, missing the rear sight blade insert, but excellent otherwise. This is one really nice rifle and is destined to become my primary sheep rifle while hunting in bear country.

The rifle came with a set of custom Buehler mounts and rings, but don't really seem to fit the rifle very well. The rear sight base hangs over the bolt ever so slightly and are quite thick. Does anyone have a recommendation for some real nice bases that will fit this action seamlessly?

Anyone have any favorite loads they would like to share for this rifle?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Nick_Adams
.300 member

Reged: 20/12/03
Loc: USA
Re: New (to me) Rifle [Re: DPhillips]
      #6212 - 29/12/03 03:06 AM

Yours sounds like a very fine bolt rifle and in my favorite caliber too.

For starters, you might try Federal's 300 H&H factory load. It shoots great in my gun and uses a 180gn Nosler Partition @ 2880fps from a 24" barrel. (Since my Ruger #1's got a 26" barrel, this load's over 2900fps). Truthfully, 2880fps is more downloaded than it needs to be.

In handloads, I'm still working with the 200gn Nosler's near book max, using 66grs of IMR 4831 (as always start lower in your gun). I'm also testing Hornady's 220gn bullets w/ R-22.

I think the 300 H&H is a grand old caliber, one that's still equally as effective on game as any of the newer 300 "super" magnums, without the added shoulder-bruising recoil and excess muzzle blast.

Enjoy yours.

--------------------

Remember ...

"Only accurate rifles are interesting."

.300 H&H.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 51 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2049

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com