Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Custom Mannlicher Schonauer question

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Custom Mannlicher Schonauer question
      #61504 - 21/08/06 01:16 PM

A friend in India has a Mannlicher Schonauer rifle with a shot out barrel which he is willing to almost give away. If I were to buy it, would I be able to get a custom rifle made on the action? The rifle is registered in India and under Indian law, it could be taken out of the country for repair and enhancement and brought back - something that I am thinking about. It is a 7x57 and I would have to retain the calibre so that it could go back to India - that is the law.

I would appreciate advice on whether it would be worth buying for this purpose and on approximately how much I might have to spend on getting it rebarreled and probably restocked. Also, would it be better to go through the paperwork and regulations and bring it here to be worked on and shipped back or would it be better to take it to Europe?

Thanks in advance for all advice and suggestions. Good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
zaitsev
.300 member

Reged: 15/05/06
Loc: Trysil, Norway
Re: Custom Mannlicher Schonauer question [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #61512 - 21/08/06 10:23 PM

What model is it, and does it have the classic magazine ?

I have one in .30-06 and its barrel is nearly worn out so the magazine is constructed for the cartridge type,if you alter it it will require a good deal of work to get the magzine working with the cartridge . Keep the 7x57 and get a good barrel on it. The rifle deserves that.

--------------------
The world hasnt got enough big Bores ,and people who uses them

(mr rigby at AR)

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Re: Custom Mannlicher Schonauer question [Re: zaitsev]
      #62116 - 05/09/06 02:30 AM

Zaitsev,

It is a 1907 with the rotary magazine. I have decided to buy it shortly and shall definitely keep it in 7x57 - that would be the only legal way to take it back to India. I could keep the rifle in the US but she has been in India all her life and I think that is where she must go after her makeover.

Thanks for the suggestions and I hope that your 30-06 (another superb calibre which we love in India) also serves you as well as this one is going to serve me.

--------------------

Mehul Kamdar

Collath_500BPE
.300 member

Reged: 30/08/06
Loc: Europe, Austria
      #64504 - 23/10/06 10:37 PM

Hi Mehul,
as an old Austrian Mannlicher Schönauer hunter I will inform you,that a modification of an original Mannlicher magazin from the 7x57 caliber to an other wanted one is like a violation.
The rotaiting parts are so fine ground in for 7x57 and not for other calibers.That is also the secret of the ultra precise repeating movement.An original Mannlicher Schönauer rifle born with 7x57 should be renewed to a 7x57 and should die as a 7x57.
Via private mail I will send you photos from my nice old engraved MS in 7x57.The engraver is still working for Hartmann & Weiss in Germany.
Regards Johann ( Collath_500BPE)
I have meanwhile tried to send pics via photobucket into the forum but still I am not able to do it.Sorry.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Custom Mannlicher Schonauer question [Re: Collath_500BPE]
      #64516 - 24/10/06 12:00 AM

.275 Rigby (7x57 mm) is one of the all time classic Mannlicher-Schoenauer chamberings. Leave it but with a new barrel!

Mehul,

Is it a full wood carbine M-S or the half-stock model?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

zimhunter
.333 member

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Southern Arizona
Re: Custom Mannlicher Schonauer question [Re: NitroX]
      #64556 - 24/10/06 11:11 AM

When in gunsmith school 50 years ago one of the students had a nice M-S carbine with a shot out barrel. He fitted and turned a new barrel to precisely the old profile in the same caliber. Fit the stock pefectly. 30 years later I did the same thing with a full stock 6.5x54 that was perfect except for the barrel. It's really not a big job to contour the barrel to fit the original stck. That way the gun is original as much as possible.

Collath_500BPE
.300 member

Re: Custom Mannlicher Schonauer question [Re: zimhunter]
      #64582 - 24/10/06 02:45 PM

Hi Zimhunter,
I agree with you 100 % , but I wanted to explain , that many gunsmith tried to modify a MS receiver for example from 7x57 (.257) to a 30-06 : changing the barrel and modifying the rotation magazin and that is complete wrong, because you loose repeating precisione.And in many cases you will get troubles to load your cartridges without demage
of your bullet.
regards Johann from Austria
My oldest Mannlicher Schönauer is from 1896 in 6,5x53 R
and is still working like at the first day.

mZugu
.224 member

Reged: 16/10/06
Loc: Nericia in Sweden
Re: Custom Mannlicher Schonauer question [Re: Collath_500BPE]
      #64599 - 25/10/06 06:52 AM

www.eschoder.com still make these rifles.

What Collath writes is IMHO correct. I had a 8x60S Magnum M-S 1950 with the magazine rotor stamped x57, and it fed the cartridges badly. The seat for the cartridge body was a bit to short, which caused the cartridge to stick against the magasine wall. I don't know how the wrong magasine rotor came into the rifle - it was before I owmned it, however.

mZugu

--------------------
Dedicated armchair hunter

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Re: Custom Mannlicher Schonauer question [Re: NitroX]
      #64633 - 25/10/06 02:16 PM

John,

It is a half stock rifle. Not the carbine. I have decided to buy it and shall be getting Dave Norin to do it up for me. It may take some time to get the relevant permissions to bring it into the US but this is going to be a project for 2007-2008. In January, however, the rifle will be mine.

Cheers,

--------------------

Mehul Kamdar

500NE_Classic
.224 member

Reged: 28/10/06
Loc: Texas
      #64886 - 30/10/06 11:15 AM

You can have a new barrel made as an exact replica.
You could also have a liner placed in the original barrel( a little harder to do correctly)

Harry_O
.224 member

Reged: 31/10/05
      #66192 - 02/12/06 12:14 PM

Am I missing something here? The original pre-1924 Mannlicher-Schoenauers were not produced in 7x57 Mauser caliber. If it is that caliber, it was already modified at sometime in the past. I only remember 6.5x54, 9x56, 8x56, and 9.5x57 MS calibers in those early guns. From several articles in the Mannlicher Collectors newsletters, the rotary magazine MUST be modified if the caliber is changed. Even then, the success of the modification is iffy.

Collath_500BPE
.300 member

Re: Custom Mannlicher Schonauer question [Re: Harry_O]
      #66542 - 08/12/06 01:15 AM

Hello Harry O,
here are some informationes from an old Austrian M.Sch.hunter concerning production datas.In 1904 Mannlicher startet with M.Sch."Stutzen" in 6,5x54 with barrel length 450mm.Some time later with 8x56; 9x56, and 9,5x57 barrel length 500mm.During 1930 Mannlicher have been produced in 7x57; 7x64; .30-06; 8x60 Magnum, 9,3x62 and 10,75x68 with barrel length 600mm.After the II War they started with the Model 1950 in 6,5x54; 7x64; 8x57JS; 9,3x62; .257 Roberts;
.270 Win with different barrel length and stocks.In that time Mannlicher changed the screw types from inch types to metric threads.
kind regards from Austria Johann

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Re: Custom Mannlicher Schonauer question [Re: Harry_O]
      #66603 - 08/12/06 05:10 PM

Harry O,

If there is any mistake over the dates of manufacture it is mine. I am in the USA at the moment and the gun is in India. I hope to be in India within the next three months if my plans go well and shall take pictures of the rifle and post them here. That said, in principle, the gun is mine. I have a word of mouth agreement with my friend who inherited it.

Cheers!

--------------------

Mehul Kamdar

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6411

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com