Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Regulating a double rifle???

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
DBBill
.300 member

Reged: 25/05/03
Loc: Southern California, USA
Regulating a double rifle???
      #6095 - 24/12/03 12:43 PM

I've always wondered about the effects of shooting in different areas have on the regulation of double rifles.

For example if you bought a gun made in Austia (or anywhere) and it was regulated with factory ammo what would likely happen if you took that rifle to Africa or Australia or anywhere where the ambient conditions were different....altitude was different, temperature was different, etc.

This would have an impact on how that same factory ammo would perform with a resultant change in poi and regulation......wouldn't it? Has anyone experienced this and if so, what did you do about it?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Regulating a double rifle??? [Re: DBBill]
      #6097 - 24/12/03 01:23 PM

Bill

You are right ambient temperature and altitude do effect the speed of the bullet and thus the regulation. This is also true with single barrel rifles. Increased pressure will increas velocity and during the 'Olden Days' Kynoch was loaded down in a Jungle load.

What always confused me is how a barrel rifled in the Northern Hemishere can shoot in the Southern Hemishere? Wouldn't the bullet just come out with no spin?

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Regulating a double rifle??? [Re: mickey]
      #6099 - 24/12/03 02:20 PM

In reply to:

What always confused me is how a barrel rifled in the Northern Hemishere can shoot in the Southern Hemishere? Wouldn't the bullet just come out with no spin?

Mick

What you are forgetting is when you are in the Southern Hemisphere you are standing upside down. That makes everything the right side up again and the spin is maintained.

Hey we should join that other board too.

Bill

That is why I am building up my loads mid-Summer so the tempaeratures are consistent (well that is my story and I am sticking to it!).

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #6126 - 25/12/03 07:16 AM

In reply to:

I've always wondered about the effects of shooting in different areas have on the regulation of double rifles.

According to my findings, you are absolutely correct in your assumption the regulation will be different according to Temprature, and altitude! Not as much by altitude as temprature, however!

I have two different regulateing loads for the doubles I use in the North American winter hunting at high altitude, say 4000 ft above sea level, up, and 20 to 60 deg temp fahrenheit , which takes in most of the western USA. Another load for the same rifle to be used in Africa, at sea level to 1500 ft above sea level, and in 90 to 120 deg fahrenheit heat. The loads are worked up for each sittuation either at my sister's home in PHX Arizona, @110 degs, or at my home in the Dallas/Fort Worth area in winter, @ 400 ft above.

Neither of these loads will regulate at it's opposite condition, very well. I find most Britt rifle regulate pritty well with factory at between 30, and 70 degs and under 1500 ft above, but have to use the tropical load in Africa, from September through November! For this reason, amoung others, I choose to hunt Africa in late June, to 15 Aug, when the temp in most of Zimbabwe, Zambia, and Caprevi are between 35 degs at night, to a high of 70 degs in the day, both temps fahrenheit !

Please note the change from centigrade to fahrenheit !

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Edited by DUGABOY1 (26/12/03 05:53 AM)

DBBill
.300 member

Re: Regulating a double rifle??? [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #6141 - 26/12/03 04:19 AM

Be careful with your units on the temperatures as you are mixing them up a bit.

Zero degrees Centrigrade = 32 degreees Fahrenheit
100 degrees Centrigrade = 212 degrees Fahrenheit

The first is the melting point of ice and the second is the condensation point of steam.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #6143 - 26/12/03 05:42 AM

You be right, Y'all! You have to overlook an uneducated ranch kid, of 67 years of age! I,ll edit out the brain failure!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

DBBill
.300 member

Re: Regulating a double rifle??? [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #6150 - 26/12/03 12:44 PM

Mac......I can't help myself.....I'm a retired USAF Weather Officer.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 142 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2884

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com