Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: .470? Stay Clear of a Leadsled!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
hucksluck
.224 member

Reged: 10/08/06
Loc: Alaska
.470? Stay Clear of a Leadsled!
      #61165 - 15/08/06 01:36 AM

Recieved my new Merkel in the mail the other day and had to go see just what kind of groups she would print. I had reloaded multiple loads with different powders in 500 gr Woodleighs as well as 500 gr A-frames. After setting up the bench and snuggling my .470 in the lead sled I determined by carefull inspection that there was no way I could damage the rifle... hindsite is 20/20, but I swear I still dont see how it is feasable that that rifle could recoil that much. The cheek swell made contact with the saddle of the leadsled and chipped a 3/8 inch wedge out. I wanted to puke, I knew I was going to scratch up this rilfe by using it, but on the first shot? Anyhow if any of you are going to employ a leadsled on your doubles I would seriously reconsider. On the bright side I don't have to live in fear of that first scratch now. Happy shooting!

Edited by hucksluck (15/08/06 01:38 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
carwi
.224 member

Reged: 09/08/06
Loc: Locust, NC
Re: .470? Stay Clear of a Leadsled! [Re: hucksluck]
      #61174 - 15/08/06 06:28 AM

Sorry to hear that, that is just awful! I thought I wanted one of those until I just read your post! I seem to do ok at the bench with a Pact recoil pad on. I've always been afraid something would happen to my guns using something like that but it is a great idea for load testing it seems.

--------------------
"Flinching due to Heavy Recoil is only a state of Mind"

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
      #61175 - 15/08/06 06:55 AM

I'll start with a caveat: I have never used a Lead Sled. I think I know what it is and how it works.

Two words of caution:

FIRST: With a very heavy recoiling gun you may risk splitting the stock if the gun is jigged in a heavy object with little give. An extreme example is this - if you hold the butt of a heavy recoiling gun against the trunk of a large oak tree, essentially immovable, you are highly likely to split the stock.

SECOND: A double rifle is regulated to be shot offhand. Generally DR's will not regulate properly when shot off any setup of sand bags. They must be held in the shooter's hands to get valid results downrange. Using a lead sled is extremely counter-productive in load development for your double rifle.

Believe me, I know quite well how trying it can be to shoot a .470 from the bench. I have a Merkel 140-2 in .500NE! About 8 rounds from the bench is all I can take in a day, and then I'm not going to shoot the next couple days after that. But you bought the rifle, so you're going to have to meet the challenge.

Enjoy your DR, and welcome to the forum. You will find all kinds of helpful advice here.

My welcome also extends to you, carwi! This is the first time I have greeted two first time posters in the same thread.

Best regards,
Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Spring
.300 member

Reged: 01/04/04
Loc: Georgia
      #61176 - 15/08/06 07:48 AM

I really do like my Lead Sled when shooting my .470. I've had no problems with it at all and find it helps me fine- tune a load with much more precision than without it.
In my case, I only use one 25 lb. bag of shot, while it is designed to accommodate more. I've never had anything happen that resembles your situation.
As for comparing the Lead Sled to shooting a gun against a big oak tree, I see no relationship in the two. I fully understand the need for recoil when shooting a gun, not to mention protecting the stock. That energy has to go somewhere, and if against a tree, the gun is absorbing it all.
In the case of a Lead Sled, particularly when it is not severely anchored, the transfer of energy continues to take place just as if the gun was shot by someone bulkier than me. I see no reason to think that will materially impact the gun's accuracy, and based on my personal experience, see no downside to using this setup.
I like really do like a Lead Sled. To me it's a great tool for big bores that need precision, such as when experimenting with small changes in a gun’s load.

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Re: .470? Stay Clear of a Leadsled! [Re: Spring]
      #61177 - 15/08/06 07:58 AM

I quite shooting the hard kickers off a bench several years ago.
There are no benches in the field. I do not care how good my rifle shoots off the bench, I want to know how well it shoots for me, from field positions.

I start out shooting a hard kicker standing at 25 yards, then I will shoot it kneeling and sitting at 50, and setting at 100 and out.

Also a standing support will work if you go to the trouble to make one.

Even with bolt rifle hard kickers, I notice a shift in zero when I sight the rifle off a bench then shoot it from a hunting position.

I even sight in all my long range hunting rifles prone off of my pack, as that is how they will be shot at long range in the field.

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: .470? Stay Clear of a Leadsled! [Re: NE450No2]
      #61178 - 15/08/06 08:23 AM

True story-

Knew a fella who swears his friend VM supposedly screwed up when he was told to use a 20 lb bag of lead shot between him and the 300 Wm bolt he was zeroing for hunting and shooting.

Somehow he got that all backwards???(how I don't know!!) and placed the shotbag BEHIND his shoulder offhand and shot once while leaning back against a tree!!! [I swear this is what was told to me.]

He pulled the trigger and you guessed it---he dislocated his right shoulder!! I am told he doesn't shoot firearms or hunt anymore. He won't talk about this experience either.

Good Choices!!

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

hucksluck
.224 member

#61179 - 15/08/06 09:15 AM

Anyone know how to post a pic? I will show you how this set up failed me.

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: .470? Stay Clear of a Lead sled! [Re: hucksluck]
      #61185 - 15/08/06 01:25 PM

If you have a pic in a photo site, just hit properties on the picture and post them in the image box below.

If you don't than email them to me at mickey-phillips@earthlink.net and I will post them for you.

You need to get a photo host though if you intend to post many pictures

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

hucksluck
.224 member

#61211 - 16/08/06 02:46 AM

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j17/hucknheather/Picture002.jpg

foxfire
.375 member

Reged: 25/11/04
Loc: Long Island N.Y.,
      #61230 - 16/08/06 05:12 AM

That hurts me just by looking at it. No leadsled for me.

--------------------
No good deed goes unpunished

new_guy
Sponsor

Reged: 10/08/04
Loc: Texas
Re: .470? Stay Clear of a Leadsled! [Re: foxfire]
      #61238 - 16/08/06 07:08 AM

hucksluck - it's not pretty but it's not the end of the world...
1) take that gun to Africa and put some more scratches on it.
2) have it re-done after a few safaris or many days afield and reshape the back of the cheekpiece when you have it refinished.

Again, I know it's not pretty, but it's not in a critical area for the fit either. A good stock guy will just take it down a bit and reshape the backside of the cheekpiece.

Now... go hunt with it and enjoy it.

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 88 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2904

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com